PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.
I was trying to kill a couple of weeks so I decided to take up crocheting. I made this 62" x 72" six color afghan using a pattern for a 6" square. It took me 11 days from start to finish. I reversed the pattern half way to change it up a bit. I did practice making a couple of the 6" squares before I started the afghan.
I am starting my second project today and it is quite a bit more difficult but I love a challenge. It will be a Cathedral Rose Window Afghan with a 78" diameter. I am a beginner so I started off with an easy level pattern. Now that I have that one done I will do the intermediate level project. This is my new hobby and I go overboard with every hobby I have ever taken up. In the past two weeks I have bought 4 different sized crochet hooks, three books plus two patterns, about 60 skeins of yarn(picking up another 17 skeins & another hook today) and I bought a knitting machine to learn that as well. I am picking up another knitting machine today to join it to my first one that also has two extensions so I can knit 84" wide pieces. I am learning the knitting machine on my crochet breaks so I can alternate between projects.
This will be my third project. Six Pointed Star Afghan. The pattern says that this is an experienced level project so after I do the intermediate project of the window I should be able to do this one. After looking at both patterns I think the window will be more difficult than this one. But I like them both more than any others I have seen so I want them both!
I picked up almost all of the yarn to do both of the above patterns but the Gemstone multi color for the window afghan was nowhere to be found locally so I ended up ordering it online. Being impatient I decided to start a modified version of the window using red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and black. I am considering this as practice for doing the original colors. Working with two strands is very new to me but I have started getting the hang of it. The majority of it is done with two strands. There are popcorn stitches in this that I have to learn as well. So now I will end up with two very different windows. lol
I did a skein count of all the yarn I have bought over the past two weeks since I started into crochet and not counting the seven skeins I just ordered or the six 1lb skeins I used for the first afghan I currently have 92 skeins of yarn in my stockpile. That should keep me busy for a minute. I am kind of impulsive and ended up buying an embroidery/sewing machine along with all of the accessories yesterday. I have always enjoyed sewing and figured if I am going to get a new machine I might as well get one that embroiders as well.
It is a Brother SE-400. I checked out alot of the software but think I will go with a web based system for creating my own designs and things. I already do graphics work in Adobe Illustrator and I can make things in that and have it instantly converted into a PES file. http://www.planetembroidery.com It will be cheap to try it out and see if I like it. I also downloaded Sierra Stitch Era Universal for editing PES files and have the Brother PED-Basic Software for Downloading Embroidery Designs on the way with a 4M memory card for moving things around.
Frank...is this done on a machine, or is this done by hand? I am just starting to hand crochet and there is no way I will be able to make mine this beautiful and even. Beautiful job on all your projects.
I am still working on the Cathedral Window. The outer orange, yellow and green rows are now done with just the ends to weave in on the last of the green. There are 256 ends to weave in for the last two rows of green so I am kind of dragging my feet on it. There are just under 1,000 ends in total for the entire project. Some people wait until the end to weave in the ends but I have been doing them as I go and won't proceed further until they are done. I do have most of the 32 small blue heptagons made with just the final row of black around them to do plus weave in the 128 ends. After that it is 32 purple half circles and a few rows in black to finish it off. The final rows have over 1,000 stitches in each row.
This is the most recent pic I have of it which isn't very recent. I had done 3 rows of the yellow before noticing that one of the black spokes was 6 stitches wide instead of 5 so I had to tear back almost 2,000 stitches to correct it. That kind of put me off from working on it for almost a month.
How long of a tail do you leave for weaving back in? On a detailed project like this, do you recommend hand washing...as wouldn't the tails have a chance to come back out through other washing options?
I am continually following your projects along as I hope to someday be able to do something as detailed.
I just finished what I call a bubble baby quilt using a strand each of pink and white. I think it turned out great :)...but, I am just a beginner. I may take a picture and send through for viewing purposes.
I leave my ends about 8" to 10" long. When I weave them in I go in and back about 2" each way before trimming the end off. Hand washing this would be a nightmare because the finished piece is 78" diameter.
I have been working on other projects here and there as well as working on the big project. I started out on this one with a pattern then just started doing it in my own way and using up to 4 different colored strands at once. Eventually I want to go up to 7 colors at once.