-
AuthorContent
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #8133013

I was trying to kill a couple of weeks so I decided to take up crocheting. I made this 62" x 72" six color afghan using a pattern for a 6" square. It took me 11 days from start to finish. I reversed the pattern half way to change it up a bit. I did practice making a couple of the 6" squares before I started the afghan.

I am starting my second project today and it is quite a bit more difficult but I love a challenge. It will be a Cathedral Rose Window Afghan with a 78" diameter. I am a beginner so I started off with an easy level pattern. Now that I have that one done I will do the intermediate level project. This is my new hobby and I go overboard with every hobby I have ever taken up. In the past two weeks I have bought 4 different sized crochet hooks, three books plus two patterns, about 60 skeins of yarn(picking up another 17 skeins & another hook today) and I bought a knitting machine to learn that as well. I am picking up another knitting machine today to join it to my first one that also has two extensions so I can knit 84" wide pieces. I am learning the knitting machine on my crochet breaks so I can alternate between projects.

Frank

Thumbnail by franknjim
Click the image for an enlarged view.

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8133025

This is the Cathedral Rose Window Afghan that is my next project.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #8133036

This will be my third project. Six Pointed Star Afghan. The pattern says that this is an experienced level project so after I do the intermediate project of the window I should be able to do this one. After looking at both patterns I think the window will be more difficult than this one. But I like them both more than any others I have seen so I want them both!

Frank

Thumbnail by franknjim

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8133041

Your finished project is beautiful the others show ambition. You will do it I am sure.
Show us your end results. Helene

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 4, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #8136312

Frank, you have way too much time on your hands!!

Very nice work - can't wait to see your next project :)
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #8136408

I picked up almost all of the yarn to do both of the above patterns but the Gemstone multi color for the window afghan was nowhere to be found locally so I ended up ordering it online. Being impatient I decided to start a modified version of the window using red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and black. I am considering this as practice for doing the original colors. Working with two strands is very new to me but I have started getting the hang of it. The majority of it is done with two strands. There are popcorn stitches in this that I have to learn as well. So now I will end up with two very different windows. lol

I did a skein count of all the yarn I have bought over the past two weeks since I started into crochet and not counting the seven skeins I just ordered or the six 1lb skeins I used for the first afghan I currently have 92 skeins of yarn in my stockpile. That should keep me busy for a minute. I am kind of impulsive and ended up buying an embroidery/sewing machine along with all of the accessories yesterday. I have always enjoyed sewing and figured if I am going to get a new machine I might as well get one that embroiders as well.

Frank

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

October 4, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #8136629

Keep us posted!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #8137058

Which Machine did you get. Have been eyeing the Bernina 440 QU Mucho $$$

I do have the janome 350 which I really like but my software is a bit confused when I import patterns so it take me a while to work through it... Love having it along with my other Janome.

Your crochet is wonderful. You always need stash... Helene
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #8137123

It is a Brother SE-400. I checked out alot of the software but think I will go with a web based system for creating my own designs and things. I already do graphics work in Adobe Illustrator and I can make things in that and have it instantly converted into a PES file. http://www.planetembroidery.com It will be cheap to try it out and see if I like it. I also downloaded Sierra Stitch Era Universal for editing PES files and have the Brother PED-Basic Software for Downloading Embroidery Designs on the way with a 4M memory card for moving things around.

Frank

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8140058

Nice afghan above - your first project. Please keep us posted on your progress with the other two.
enya_34
Madison, WI

October 14, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #8155573

I love the combinations of blue in your projects. Terrific job. The second looks like a stained glass window. What a fun idea!
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #8156211

Thanks.
I started my second project 11 days ago and it is coming along nicely. It will be a bit brighter than the original. It is 48" across now and will be 96" when finished.

Frank

Thumbnail by franknjim

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

October 19, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8164254

WOW!
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #8164442

Here's a shot after I put the big black band around it. I finished filling in all of the valleys this morning and have just started going around in circles again.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8164443

A closeup shot of the black band.

Thumbnail by franknjim

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

October 19, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #8164473

Excellent! Your stitches are perfect :)
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #8277381

Frank...is this done on a machine, or is this done by hand? I am just starting to hand crochet and there is no way I will be able to make mine this beautiful and even. Beautiful job on all your projects.

Debbie
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #8278582

Thank you. It was done by hand. Knitting can be done with a machine but not crochet.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #8279080

WOW...someday I hope mine will look as good as yours.

Debbie
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8299229

I am blown away by your talent. What beautiful work.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8299403

Have you finished the Cathedral Window?
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8299670

Yes, please show us some more of your projects.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8300247

I am still working on the Cathedral Window. The outer orange, yellow and green rows are now done with just the ends to weave in on the last of the green. There are 256 ends to weave in for the last two rows of green so I am kind of dragging my feet on it. There are just under 1,000 ends in total for the entire project. Some people wait until the end to weave in the ends but I have been doing them as I go and won't proceed further until they are done. I do have most of the 32 small blue heptagons made with just the final row of black around them to do plus weave in the 128 ends. After that it is 32 purple half circles and a few rows in black to finish it off. The final rows have over 1,000 stitches in each row.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8300468

This is the most recent pic I have of it which isn't very recent. I had done 3 rows of the yellow before noticing that one of the black spokes was 6 stitches wide instead of 5 so I had to tear back almost 2,000 stitches to correct it. That kind of put me off from working on it for almost a month.

Thumbnail by franknjim

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8300556

How wonderful this is. I am truly in awe of your ability and your perseverence. That is just gorgeous!!!!
Thank you for showing it again...
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8300603

How long of a tail do you leave for weaving back in? On a detailed project like this, do you recommend hand washing...as wouldn't the tails have a chance to come back out through other washing options?

I am continually following your projects along as I hope to someday be able to do something as detailed.

I just finished what I call a bubble baby quilt using a strand each of pink and white. I think it turned out great :)...but, I am just a beginner. I may take a picture and send through for viewing purposes.

Debbie
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8300692

I leave my ends about 8" to 10" long. When I weave them in I go in and back about 2" each way before trimming the end off. Hand washing this would be a nightmare because the finished piece is 78" diameter.

I have been working on other projects here and there as well as working on the big project. I started out on this one with a pattern then just started doing it in my own way and using up to 4 different colored strands at once. Eventually I want to go up to 7 colors at once.

Thumbnail by franknjim

rosymom
Plympton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2011
11:42 PM

Post #8328916

Wow, what beautiful work! I can't believe how many rows you need to weave to do that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America