Photo by Melody

Computer Talk: Cartridge World ink cartridge?

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 24, Views: 258
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #8134780

I purchased a Cartridge World brand ink cartridge for my HP deskjet printer & will not work. The printer reads E for empty cartridge. Anyone have success using this brand of reused cartridges?
won't even print a test page.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #8135119

FWIW...

After the third "refilled" cartridge stopped working at half full, I quit buying them. The technology still has a LONG way to go, to make it worthwhile. I buy new now. It's less headaches.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #8135387

If I take this back & exchange for another one & that doesn't work either . . . then it will be a 3rd trip there to get my $10 back. I thought it noteworthy that the clerk told me to "bring it back if it does not work". Ink cartridges, assuming the correct cartridge for the specific printer, always work, don't they?
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #8146139

I probably destroyed my MP500 using cheapie ink. Now I have a MP560 and I will just bite the bullet and buy the ink from Canon.

Linny
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8146449

interesting. ink or the little re-used cartridge ruined your printer?
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #8146498

anastatia,

I don't really know. All I know for sure is the first time I printed pics with the cheapie ink, they came out ok, but the second time, and from then on, they didn't. Finally, the error msg said I had the wrong print head on. I called Canon, thinking I could replace the printer head. Turned out to be cheaper to just buy a new one. The Canon tech said by the time somebody figured out if it was the print head or the board, then replaced whichever it turned out to be, I might as well just buy a new one. It was good advice. The MP500 was about 5 years old. The MP560 is half the size. The only bad thing about Canon printers is the cost of the ink. Otherwise, I love them. My pics are 100 % better than what comes off my mom's HP.

Oh, one more detail... Canon said with cheapie cartridges, little holes are drilled in there to refull the ink, and those little holes don't fit the Canon correctly. I know less than nothing about these things. I just know I won't use anymore cheapie ink.

Linny
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #8146503

Sometimes it is not the mileage but rather the condition of the roadway - ink cartridges only perform as well as the printer they are installed into, not needing documents that are perfect, 3 years ago I perched the least expensive printer I could find with the least expensive cartridge - it has served me well, when I need a really good quality print there is always the library. Most things do not need to be printed at all, an electrical copy will do for reference.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #8146777

I have never used a refilled cartridge so this is mainly speculation. If you carefully look at an inkjet printer cartridge such as HP, you will see one section having extremely tiny holes and another section having contacts which mate against the cartridge carrier. The holes in the HP cartridge make up the print head and the contacts carry the "instructions". Reusing the same cartridge over and over again is bound to create problems. I have a Canon MP-830 which uses a slightly different system but the cartridge issues will multiply with use. This does not take into the quality of the ink which could also create problems.

The high cost of cartridges makes up for the cheap but high quality printers. I have read the printer companies depend upon making their profits from cartridges. I think I paid about $72 for a set of 5 replacement cartridges and they do not have a long usage life, especially with pictures.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #8149455

Everytime I find something too good to be true it usually is . . .

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #8157801

I used Cartridge World cartridges for a couple of years with no problems; when my printer died I bought a Kodak printer. The cartridges last much longer and are about half the costs of HP cartridges.

Paul
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #8158192

really? I thought ink costs were just ink costs. Stored this info in my computer, the one on top of my shoulders. thanks.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 20, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #8270096

I have a HP Photosmart printer. Rather than buy ink locally, I order it through HP website. Same cost, sometimes a bit cheaper. Free shipping, even ships in 2 days. Hp will accept Paypal payments also.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8382304

I rarely buy ink cartridges. I refill my own cartridges. If my HP PSC 1210 printer dies, I'll hunt for another one with refillable cartridges. I buy my ink from http://www.oddparts.com. They also have instructions for refilling cartridges that can be refilled. A 16 oz bottle of black ink is $25 or $30. One bottle will refill my cartridge about 50 or so times. I print a lot, but a bottle will last me two or three years. A cartridge generally lasts me around 20 or 30 refills before I need to replace it.

With refillable cartridges, many have sponges inside them. When the sponge dries out and hardens, you won't get as much ink in the cartridge as it originally held. So an empty cartridge sitting around in a drawer may be useless in a few weeks or months. When the cartridge gets low, refill immediately.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8382322

great info. thank you.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8387617

I get my not-new ink cartridges from Clickinks.com, a cartridge is cheap, depending on printers and new or not-new cartridges I'm sure, but ink for my Canon Pixma MX700 average about $8 or $9 apiece per cartridge with shipping. I wouldn't recommend that for a business or somebody that prints all the time because I think it's less ink than new, but it's about a third the price as new, they sell them too.
ClinchMtnMan
Lebanon, VA

September 27, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9288482

I can NOT recommend Cartridge World. I started using CW Ink Jet cartridges several months ago. Of the 8 I have purchased, 3 have caused me trouble. One failed after printing 9 sheets. I attempted to contact the company via their website, their toll-free number and via email and received NO RESPONSE whatsoever. Very disappointing. I have switched back to genuine HP IJ cartridges. More money per cartridge but they all work well and last longer.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9289154

I've used then quite a bit in HP printers. Sometimes there are problem ones, but most have been OK. I think it's going to depend a lot on your particular printer, and the particular cartridge. I've used a number of 22's, 27s, 28's, and 54's and what ever the color one that goes with the 54. The quality is alright. I'm not sure that there is as much ink in them as a full new one, but I'm not sure that there isn't. This is equipment that is passed around among volunteers so it's hard to know how long an individual cartridge has been in there. I can say that we haven't had to replace a printer because of them.

On the other had I used third party ink in an Epson 800, I think it was, and it clogged the print heads up.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9289155

I wanted to add. I'd buy them three or four at a time so that I didn't get into the running back and forth like the OP has if one didn't work.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9290104

When you put in a new cartridge, are you running the "alignment" and "cleaning printheads" processes? I buy my own ink and refill my cartridges myself and don't have any problem. It costs me less than a buck to refill my black cartridge. And it takes just a minute.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 1, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9292896

My computer guy (who does NOT sell ink cartridges) told me it was the crappy refilled cartridges I bought at the local shop that ruined my printer. he said it is the quickest way to kill your printer. And since Hans, my super-duper computer guru, has NEVER steered me wrong, I believe him. Haven't ruined any printer since because I buy the recommended cartridges for the printer. Just my experience here.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9294092

I've refilled my own cartridges for years and never ruined a printer. Of course, you get some folks refilling cartridges who don't know what they're doing or don't care. I'm careful in refilling my cartridges. When I am getting ready to buy a new printer, I always check to see if the cartridges can be easily refilled. I won't buy a printer whose cartridges I can't refill. I have had excellent results with HPs and Canons.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9295843

That's been my experience also. Canons and HPs work ok with refilled ink cartridges. Epsons don't.

One other thought. If you are doing mostly black and white printing consider adding a inexpensive laser printer. I bought an Okidata from Staples for $80. It's a model that's been replaced. It works nice.
billnel
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9326983

I also have been refilling my HP cartridges for years, without any problems. I get anywhere from 25-50 refills on a cartridge before it starts to malfunction.

For those that have had print head clogging with refills, they were probably using the wrong type of ink. Inks are either dye or pigment based - and the pigment based inks cannot be used in cartridges meant for dyes.

My current printer uses the HP 22 and 21/27. The 22 needs dye based ink but the 21 will work with either. I don't know about the 27.

I do not buy aftermarket cartridges. When an original HP cartridge fails to work properly any longer, I purchase a new HP cartridge. I then refill it until it no longer works properly.

It costs me about $2 to fill a 22 and less than a dollar to fill a 21/27. I have saves hundreds of dollars on ink over the last few years - more than enough to buy several new printers.

I notice no difference in print quality - regardless if I use a high resolution or draft resolution.

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9335790

A friend just "dumped" a HP all in one inkjet on me. He became totally frustrated with refill rejects. A bit of snooping showed the the original HP cartridge that was being refilled had lost it's serial number (i.e. a number programmed into the cartridge.) Costco has really cheap refills, so I went there and was told the the cartridge was TOAST. A new set of 2 black and a color cartridge was about $70. I then decided to try Cartridge World. A generic cartridge for that printer was $20, so I decided to give it a try, after being assured that they had a good return policy. Voila' the printer accepted this cartridge and I now have a "free" HP all-in-one and a new appreciation for my local Cartridge World franchisee.

I am also now successfully using an Epson black refill from Cartridge World. Maybe they now have the experience of a few years in business to get the job done right.

I think my next printer will be a cheap laserjet. I bought generic laserjet cartridges from http://www.inkjetsuperstore.com for years with good results. Color printing is best done by Walgreen, Costco, Walmart or some other photo printing place. I think they are cheaper than at home and much better.
Snowdrops10
Lexington, OK

November 20, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9338641

The reason refills dont work is because the manufactures make it so the chip that enables the cartridge ceases to work..

SOME may still do so.. but more and more they cant. It isnt faulty... it isnt a glitch... its a built in "you will buy the original product " ploy...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America