Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: Love my mimosa How to save it?

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lynnise
Lebanon, TN

October 4, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8136308

I love my mimosa tree. I pulled out of my mother-in-law's hedge row about 10 years ago and planted it over my children's swingset. It grew quickly and provided shade and beauty to my backyard. It has thrived until the last few years when the longer limbs have started to break off from the weight of the foliage and flowers. This has rarely been associated with high winds. I am afraid that it will die from all of this breakage. It has already become slightly one-sided, but the limbs continue to grow longer and longer!

Not only does this tree remind me of my children's younger days, but also mine. There was a mimosa tree in my yard which was just perfect for a little girl to climb and perch to read. I seem to remember my dad pruning that tree. When and how should I do that? Is the pruning for the purpose of preventing the limbs from breaking?

As for it being messy or a pest, all it takes is planting it where it won't shed on patios, porches, driveways, and mowing under it regularly. Just pull up the babies as soon as you see them from flower beds, etc.

BTW, I live in middle TN which until this year with our outrageous amounts of rain (and floods) has had some severely dry summers. Could the lack of rain have caused th breaks? I haven't had any broken limbs this year!

Thumbnail by lynnise
Click the image for an enlarged view.

barksy
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8361758

Hi Lynnise -

Mimosa is a fast-growing tree and that worked out well for you for shading of the swing. But often, fast growing trees like mimosa have brittle wood and the branches of mimosa break easily. I can imagine the rain contributing to breakage by encouraging rapid growth or weighing down branches.

Mimosas are somewhat short-lived (10-20 years) by nature so, if your kids are grown, the tree may be reaching the end of it's natural life span.

Your tree certainly looks lovely in the photos so I hope that it rebounds. Best - Sarah

jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

March 7, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8411425

Mimosas in OKC are weeds.
They don't mind heavy clay, high winds, drought, rain, snow, or being cussed at.
They are, like the Oklahoma Redbud, fast growing and relatively short lived.
However, once pruned back, both small trees usually sprout new limbs and do fine.
nrandel
Dublin, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8414693

I agree! I too love this tree! It is a tree that is as close looking to the tropics as we can ever get.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America