Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roycer
Tulsa, OK

October 4, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8136327

When I was young (NE Iowa), my grandmother had this plant growing in her back yard. She had many reasons for it. One was its beauty, of course, and it was prolific enough to last year after year. Another was that it lured hummingbirds. They were made, I think, to reach down into the flower for the sweet liquid in the ends of the bulbs. We children used to gather the flowers and bite the ends off to get that rich, sweet flavor.

Which brings me to my question. Grandma always called the plant 'honeysuckle.' I know there are a hundred varieties of honeysuckle (fam. Aquilegia), but is 'honeysuckle' considered an applicable name for columbine? All my life, if someone asked my to draw a picture of a honeysuckle, this columbine pictured is what I would have attempted to draw. Was Granny mistaken? Is the usage common?

Thanks for the article!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #8136371

I'm not sure, Roycer. I've never tasted anything sweet from the wild columbine. But wild honeysuckle, I've tasted it many times. If you could describe the foliage then I might be able to tell you.

But here's a picture of honeysuckle, from the Lonicera family, I think. The leaves are very different than the wild columbine, and the blooms are longer, thinner.

So I'm really not sure what your plant was.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2010 8:55 AM

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roycer
Tulsa, OK

October 6, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #8141561

Oh, I guarantee that the plant you pictured was the same one my Grandmother had. I've had two other folks from the same general area email me that their grandmothers called it the same thing! Must be an 'area of the country' thing!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #8141635

Might be. We had a wild plant that looked exactly like an orange azalea, and it was called wild honeysuckle. I was back in the mountains in June and took this picture of it. It grew everywhere, and i think it is in the same family as the azalea...but my family called it wild honeysuckle.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Running Away from Home: Wild Columbine Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
:) onewish1 6 Oct 4, 2010 5:54 AM
In my humble opinion . . . Adaylilyfan 15 Oct 10, 2010 1:49 PM
wild columbine daphnep 3 Sep 30, 2010 6:05 PM
Scalp treatment 3pmp 1 Oct 4, 2010 6:25 PM
Lucky you cybercrone 1 Oct 5, 2010 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America