Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Terrarium Gardening: I found one!

Communities > Forums > Terrarium Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Terrarium GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
begoniadude
Irving, TX

October 4, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #8136481

I have been searching diligently for a large terrarium that I can use in my house. Most have been out of my price range. I was driving around in my neighborhood on Saturday and saw that a large aquarium, at least 30 gallons, was for sale. When I asked the price imagine my surprise when they said five dollars! I was thrilled. All I need now is some type of cover. I was thinking about cutting a piece of wood paneling to fit the top or maybe a sheet of glass custom cut. Any other ideas? I would appreciate some advice.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #8136606

Congrats on that great find for only $5.00!! I guess plywood would work, although isn't plywood heavy? Or, you could try to find plexiglass/heavy plastic to cut to size. Alos, maybe call around to local aquarium shops and see if anyone might have a spare hood/light from an old tank that they'd be willing to give away or sell cheaply!

Have fun planting up your new terrarium and please share pictures when it's all done ... how about a before, during and after thread showing the process?

Sallysblooms
South, TX

October 15, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #8158305

I would get glass cut to fit, but plexi would work too. Congrats!
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #8184890

If you could find a frame that is just a little bigger than the terrarium and then put a piece of glass in the frame it might make a nice top. Maybe even a colored piece of glass from a stained glass store. They would help you find the right size and cut any glass to size. Unless of course you like to do mosaicís. That would let some light through and also cover the terrarium. There is a stained glass forum here and I am sure they would also be happy to help you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Terrarium Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to start? LittleHippyGirl 3 Apr 9, 2007 7:08 AM
Terrarium Links begoniacrazii 42 Jun 21, 2007 2:52 PM
My new terrarium Plantcrazii 13 May 7, 2007 1:55 PM
Here is my terrarium Plantcrazii 37 May 6, 2007 6:00 PM
My new dart frogs/vivarium! clarkranch 14 Oct 31, 2007 8:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America