Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Voting Booth: What is your favorite type of perennial plant?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 36, Views: 415
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8136652

There are a total of 163 votes:

I love bulbs!
(18 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Succulents or Xeriscape plants here!
(11 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Flowering shrubs are my favorites. (which ones?)
(26 votes, 15%)
Red dot

I prefer herbs.
(10 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I love wildflowers and natives. (for butterflies and hummingbirds?)
(42 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Tropical plants are my favorites! (got any pictures?)
(28 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Other. (Tell us!)
(28 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #8136945

I chose other because I love ALL of the above!!
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #8137008

I wish I had enough property to have a garden of just bulbs to bloom all summer long, well and with some annuals to tide it through the bare times.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #8137044

Wildflowers and natives here! Some folks call them weeds, but I adore them!
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

October 4, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8137051

I chose wildflowers and natives - love the butterflies and hummingbirds that are attracted to my garden.

Since my garden is English garden/cottage gardening I love surprises when Mother Nature intervenes and perfectly proportioned plants pop up in an esthetically pleasing area of the garden. I don't remember planting them there but there they are. Maybe it's my pathetic memory or God and Mother Nature working together to make this small miracle happen. I do believe that God smiles down on the beauty of a garden. Every seed is a miracle to me and I generally start most plants by seed. I sure appreciate his hand in my somewhat chaotic garden though.

Elaine and Otis
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 4, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #8137341

Anything that is hardy in my 3A zone and for which I have room!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #8137449

love succulents and tropicals equally... that was not one of the canned choices, though, so couldn't vote.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #8137570

I didn't vote because there wasn't a choice for "All of the Above". I love tropical's, bulbs, wildflowers, annuals, perennials ... even some weeds!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8138093

Wildflowers, since I live in the woods, but herbs in the garden, since the critters don't eat them.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8138322

I voted other. My latest passion is natives, which I am trying to incorporate into my mostly cottage type beds, and also encourage/plant in my outlying fields and woodlands. I also have an herb labyrinth, a shrub border along our driveway, and lots of spring bulbs. So, a little of everything, although not a big fan of tropicals (they just look out of place to me in my area).
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #8138339

I collect roses, so I voted for shrubs.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #8138352

My favorites are whatever is blooming at the moment and today that is my brugmansia

The sun room late evening early morning hours smells heavenly.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2010 10:00 PM

Thumbnail by cececoogan

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #8138442

I chose 'other' because I, also, love them all!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #8138481

I am trying to concentrate on plants that are used as host or nectar sources for the butterflies; a lot of which are native plants. I have enjoyed raising several types of caterpillars and releasing the butterflies in my yard. This one stuck around for a close-up.

Giant Swallowtail Butterfly...host plant I used was Rue, also have Citrus for them.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #8138897

I love anything unusual as well as seeing the beauty in the flowers of what we all call "weeds." You have to admit, the flowers of Creeping Charlie look like tiny orchids/snapdragons. Very pretty!
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

October 5, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #8138937

I have a wide variety of plants, but the one I have the most of is... Can you guess?
It is daylilies of course!!! Love, love, love them!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #8138995

I also voted for other as I love everything!!! I am trying to plant as much as I can on this 1/2 acre and than hope to spread out onto my nieces 1/2 next door.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8140007

Wildflowers and natives for me!! I get many more butterflies and hummers now that I have started planting them.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #8140640

Other here too... I agree with Cececoogans' comment "My favorites are whatever is blooming at the moment" !
I find my favorites cycle thru the full year and right now, it is a toss between succulents and herbals as the summer days wind down.

Thumbnail by podster

ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8140685

I chose "tropicals", even though I only live in zone 6! Each fall, I dig up banana plants, cannas, glads, caladiums, and even a few palms in order to overwinter them. I also have quite a few potted tropicals that I overwinter in our little greenhouse each year. It is a lot of work, so tropicals must be my favorites, even though I do love all the categories listed. I have found musa basjoo, which is hardy to my zone with protection, and found some micro climates, where I can leave some cannas and passion flower vines in the ground. Bring on the global warming! (haha)

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #8140898

I love them all, and have plants from almost all of the categories, but my true love is bulbs. After a long, dreary winter, nothing lifts my spirits like seeing the first green little noses pressing their way through the frost. I've had two different people tell me that they change their walking routes to pass my yard in the spring, when it is a mass of daffodils, tulips, muscari, and hyacinth. I just wish they enjoyed a longer season! Last year I added more than 50 lily bulbs and 30 gladioli, trying to extend the color bursts between the perennials!

Angie
lortay
Navan
Ireland

October 6, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #8140927

It is hard to pick a category; but for lenght of time in flower, it has to be flowering shrubs:
Winter: Viburnum x bodnantense, Daphne bholua, Hamamelis, Cotoneasters, Pyracanthas for berries
Spring: Chaenomeles with the unfolding leaves of Acer palmatum.
Summer: Potentillas, Hypericums, Fuchsia, Hydrangeas, Lavandulas,
The multi effect of Leycesteria formosa (flowers, berries, stems),
etc. etc. etc.
Rebeccatowoc
Stewart, TN

October 6, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #8141097

Tried and true perennial cultivars such as coneflowers, dahlias, phlox, clematis, chrysanthemums, and poppies. But in general, if it blooms, I love it. (To tell the truth, anything that has luscious green leaves and tolerates clay.)
mattsmom
Tomah, WI

October 7, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #8142382

My favorites are tall bearded iris & daylilies.

Thumbnail by mattsmom

DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8142517

Other activities are taking up more and more of my retirement time, so I am gradually moving to flowering shrubs to reduce my garden chores. Only problem is their relatively short bloom time. My favorites so far are Viburnum carlesi for its wonderful aroma, Kerria for its cheerful yellow buttons, Rhododendron for keeping its leaves in winter, Variegated Daphne for its all season good looks, Doublefile Viburnum for commanding attention, Lespedeza for fall color when not much else is happening, and Weigela for a burst of glory in summer.

Thumbnail by DonShirer

chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #8142719

I do enjoy all plants, but my faves are the tropicals. I can allow all of that lush greenery to crazily grow where it wants and get by with my garden 'looking like a jungle'
just pull the occassional weed, water well and voila! my garden work is done! (except for planting all of the new arrivals I constantly aquire to fill my addiction, LOL)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #8143068

I love them all, but for interesting leaves, textures and colors, not really for the flowers that come and go so quickly. My very favorite is dappled willow, and a mimosa that I cut down each fall so it stays small like a shrub. Sweet potato vines and feathery cypress vines, oh so pretty!
Rebeccatowoc
Stewart, TN

October 7, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #8143349

Interesting choices, cathy.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8144216

Hard decision because I'm fond of all of the above. I narrowed it down to my hydrangeas.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #8144624

My loves are a combination of Tropicals (bold and big), flowering shrubs (Hydrangeas and Rhododendrons), xeriscapes (for ease), natives and wildfowers (for butterflies and hummingbirds).
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #8145440

SO hard to choose just one "favorite" 'cause I love my bulbs, natives, hummers-birds-and-bee pleasers.. . BUT, hydrangeas are especially dear to my heart. I love them for their variety, their big-hearted blossoms, their willingness to bloom for months on end, and their versatility in dried-arrangements.
Dacooolest
Brandon, MB
(Zone 2b)

October 8, 2010
11:36 PM

Post #8146057

Despite there being a rather limited selection for my zone, my favorite perennials are the ones that provide a real visceral reaction in me every time I see them. I look upon my small field of purple tinged 8 foot tall Angelica atropurpurea, see the millions of bugs feeding upon them, and the accompanying birds that eat the bugs, and I almost can't help from yelping with delight. The same goes for Inula, Verbascum nigrum, lovage, and ironweed. It's not necessarily the height that gets me, but rather the "Wow!" factor associated with these plants. The swarms of animal life they support only adds to the effect.
wangxing
San Francisco, CA

October 9, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #8146329

I believe each type of plant has its own special place and function. I like mixing animals, insects and plants into a living environment (permaculture) where they all benefit from each other.
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

October 9, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #8146392

whichever one happens to be blooming at the moment.
Peter_Rabbit5
Denver
United States

October 9, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #8146445

Other:
Aquilegias, echinaceas, and heucheras
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8415055

Other. Roses and lilies.. Luciee {;^)
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8539180

Shasta daisies

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America