Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Roseville

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 29, Views: 598
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #8137325

We have a small collection of Roseville pottery. Has any one seen this type of pottery? We pretty much stopped collecting it but I still have some out for display in a cabinet. Also I used to collect vasiline wear. It has actual radio active material in them which is beautiful in the black light. I always took a little black light with me to shop for them. It glows and they are easy to spot. When they were in production they did not know that the radio active stuff could actually make a person sick so I imagine there was a pretty good turn over at the factory. I love them! My sister told me that they can still cause tumors, and idea that I just laughed at. Until I got a tumor!! So I have packed it away until I decide what do with it. It is beautiful stuff and I am really sorry that I cannot collect it any longer. It is just as well, we have had mountains of medical bills this year.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2010
1:51 AM

Post #8140501

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1152&bih=749&q=roseville pottery&gbv=2&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=rosevill&gs_rfai=
http://www.bealeclayworks.com/roseville-pottery/

That second link has prices in it for Rosewood ...boy, do I regret breaking my only vase...
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #8140922

Thank you very much. Do you collect Roseville? When we started they were a lot less expensive. My mother gave my sister an old bowl that she did not want. I am sure my mom had no idea that it was worth actual money. My sister was telling me that Mama gave her a vase and it was ok, just ok. Then I looked up the one she had. At that time it was only worth $80 but that was enough to shock my sister. She was going to just get rid of it any way she could !
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #8140944

Thanks for the site addresses. Isn't that beautiful ?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #8141579

My Grandparents gave my Sister and me a few vases. Since I move so often, I only took a small one. I absolutely love Roseville pottery. I had thought to buy 5 or 6 of the larger sizes ~later~ when we stop moving so much, though it looks like it will cost me a lot more than I thought. They weren't worth much back in the 60's when they were given to us, but they are so pretty even when they aren't filled with flowers. I sure like them...

My Mom got rid of the "uranium glass" when she got cancer in '74. That was also when we found out that the pottery pitcher that we filled with tea at least once a day was leaching harmful minerals into our favorite drink... We got rid of a lot of stuff then.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #8143332

Oh my gosh JuneyBug. That is terrible. Do you think that the picture had something to do with your mom’s illness? How did you find out that it was leaching? Or the Uranium glass? Every thing I read says that it is no more radiation than you get from a microwave oven. But I got a tumor. It scared me . All of our uranium glass is packed in boxes in a far far corner in our basement. So it is pretty much unavailable now. Really I should get rid of it . But I am not comfortable with that because I feel that it is a health hazard. Maybe I can fined someone who is sells it and see if they want to buy mine. As for the Roseville, I suspect that my kids have already kind of fixed on who gets what because they like the Roseville. We also have a collection of Russian lacquered boxes , Matchbook car’s , baseball cards , beany babies, and I have some totally beautiful miniatures (scale 1/12).

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #8143530

Several of Moms brothers were scientists and, of course, when she got sick they all came for visits. It was during a visit from the ones in nuclear science that we learned about the unglazed inner surfaces of the pitcher and a few other pieces. She had known about the Vaseline/uranium glass already, and the cancer was a catalyst for getting rid of anything suspicious.
There is now a marker pen-looking tool for checking for lead in the china & stoneware. It amazes me that lead was used in the glazes for so many things and that it leaches out into our food and drink so easily. Lead is also in the leaded glass cruet set that was on our table. http://www.silverplatepatterns.com/uploadedimages/5pccastorset.jpg - something like this) We kept it, but we emptied the oil, vinegar, and relish and when I inherited it, I figured that the salt and pepper were probably getting some lead in them, so I empty everything after I use it - maybe once a year when my Son & family get together at Christmas. I was told that it takes some time to leach out into the contents, but the higher the acid, the faster it happens.
I don't use vinegar and oil separately, so I have things like green ketchup and ranch dressing in them for the GrandKids, and sunflower seeds in the relish jar.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #8147095

Like depression glass or true vaseline glass with uranium. Some people dont want to use it but it is a part of history. It is nice for display.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #8266429

Sorry it took so long but I will post some pictures. Here is one piece of my Roseville collection.
It looks flat but accually it a 3 inch deep bowl

Thumbnail by mableruth
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #8266436

Oh no !!!!!!!!!!!!! Wrong dish!!!!! That dish is a Talavera which is made in Mexico. We have quite a few of these and we use them on holidays. I am hoping that by using it the "children" will appreciate its value and divide it between themselves. We chose to buy it in many different patterns because we just could not decide on one. They are beautiful.
Now I will do the Roseville. Again this is just one dish. We do have many more but they pretty much just stay in the cabinet. We bought them in different antique stores many years ago. The prices for them has jumped up alot.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2010 11:57 AM

This message was edited Dec 18, 2010 12:00 PM

Thumbnail by mableruth

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #8266451

Here are my Russian Lacquers box’s. I am sorry that you cannot really experience their beauty in person. We have a few of these and I love them. (actually we love all our collections ! Isn‘t that odd.) They are painted in Russia by people in three little towns. They often must use a hair from a squirrels tail ( no I am not kidding) for the details. There are many steps to making it. My girl friend went there and wanted to meet the artists and was shocked at how poor these people are in these remote little towns. On there last day the town had a feast for them and the whole town sat at the big table together. It cost them a lot - for them especially. Of course my friend gave them some money and also bought several boxes.

Thumbnail by mableruth

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #8266470

Here is one piece of our allehabra . I am sure I spelled that wrong but you get the idea? They are fanciful animals that are carved by hand in Mexico. They are all bright colors and all are purely functional. It cheers me to see them with their bright colors.

Thumbnail by mableruth

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #8266475

We have just two pieces of lladro and they were gifts from our friends

Thumbnail by mableruth

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #8266479

Here are some Santa's that a friend of ours carved. We also have two four feet tall sailors in our foyer that were made by him. At least we ususally do. We put them away for while because I wanted to bring in a really big plant for the winter.

Thumbnail by mableruth

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8266484

OMG I messed up again. I am an old lady so please be patient!!

Thumbnail by mableruth

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #8266494

One more post and I will retire I promise. It is such fun to share !!!!! This picture is of my miniature Teddy Bear collection. They average about 1 inch to 3 inches. They are hand made and some are signed on the bottom of their foot by the artist that made them. All of their arms and legs move and it is completely beyond me how anyone could sew so beautifully and so small. This collection is kind of a spin off from my miniature collection. I will send a picture of our cabinet next then I will be quiet.

Thumbnail by mableruth

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #8266497

Thanks for your patience. Here is one cabinet we keep our treasures in.

Thumbnail by mableruth

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8334566

Sorry, to read about your mom's cancer. I had heard that about vaseline glass before. I do love Roseville, it is pretty pricey here and I rarely see it at the flea markets I attend. I have a collection of small McCoy vases,planters, blueridge pottern and some depression pieces. Could you post a few pics of your items. I don't have any of mine :( Might be nice for the insurance man if I would. One tip he told me was to go thru the house with a video cam and show all your collections.

Teresa in KY
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8440168

Anymore pics? I have been bidding on some Roseville on Ebay but haven't won anything yet :(
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8440592

You want pictures of Roseville? Sure I would be happy to! We are going now to visit my sister who is in a nursing home. This afternoon I will rtry to remember to do that.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9112541

I collect Roseville as well as Weller and other Ohio Pots.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but bored today!
Johnny

Thumbnail by LoveBrug

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9112542

Very nice collection! :-)
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9115739

For some dumb reason my SO and I decided to collect every production piece of green Snow-berry . I think we are missing like two pieces but are over it now. One fun thing we have is original work sheets on this pottery.

This message was edited May 8, 2012 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by LoveBrug   Thumbnail by LoveBrug   Thumbnail by LoveBrug
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9115776

Also into Roseville Jard and Peds. I only buy quality with no repairs or damage of any kind believe it or not the Cherry Blossom has no crazing. The Peony is slightly crazed but a solid piece.
Just love this stuff.

Wow had to edit does my 60 inch LED TV look cool in that PIC of the Cherry Blossom or what ?

Just kidding well it is a 60 inch LED .

This message was edited May 8, 2012 12:09 PM

Thumbnail by LoveBrug   Thumbnail by LoveBrug

pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9147644

Having a hard time loading my pictures. Let's see if this works. Started my collection in 1989 when I first met my in-laws in Michigan. My mother-in-law is such a great woman. The Snowberry candlesticks were my first acquistion since then it has expanded.

Thumbnail by pearl   Thumbnail by pearl

pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9147649

Yup; that was it. I guess I have to load them two at a time. More from my collection.

pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9147657

Continuation. You can upload 5 images at one time here. But I was having a hard time. Tried about four times to load with all five images and it wouldn't take. So as you can see I went another way around it.

LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9154388

Pearl NICE Silhouette piece ! I love your Poppy vase as well.
pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9157396

Thanks Brug; both peices were gifts from my mother-in-law. One trip up to Michigan she just had a huge box packed and ready on our last day up there. The Peony is also my favorite peice.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9631746

Just a note to collectors that like vasoline glass. They have started making it again - minus the radioactive material of course.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America