Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Crocosmia, a short review: What and how do you grow Crososmia

Communities > Forums > Article: Crocosmia, a short review
bookmark
Forum: Article: Crocosmia, a short reviewReplies: 4, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lilcreek
Winfield, MO

October 5, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8139042

I live in zone 5 ( Missouri) I love this plant ! They do well all summer . But have been unable to have it come back the following year after planting it. I have planted Crocosmia 'Lucifer and Emily Mc Kenzie. Thanks !
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

September 17, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9277456

I have the Lucifer lily and I live in SE Mass. Mine multiplies and comes back every year. According to the USDAs Average Annual Extreme Minimum Temperature chart, my area is -5 to 0, and I am in zone 6b. I have my Lucifer planted in an open area in front of a huge boulder. It gets blazing sun in the summer when it is in bloom. I never water it, but just let nature take it's course. I have never dug them up to divide either. I may do that this year just to spread the bounty around the bed.
I have uploaded a picture of them for you to see. I hope this information helps. Perhaps your winters don't get cold enough, or maybe you are babying them too much. I am the, 'if they need too much work to grow then I don't want them' kind of person.
Good luck, Patricia

Thumbnail by gardengirl86
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JennyWren102
Mason, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9277621

I'm also in zone 5 and was cautioned that Lucifer might need winter protection in my area. It does splendidly in the spot I chose for it: right up against the foundation in a nook which gets lots of morning sun and protection from wind and snow. I find that I have to stake it every summer and water it once or thrice during drought. If your specimens are in an exposed area consider mulching them over winter. Also beware of squirrels digging the corms up for a snack during lean times. Mine is actually planted right next to my front door, and if the critters are hungry enough they'll brave the gauntlet of kitties staring through the windows just for this snack.
NB62
Ogden, UT
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
1:08 AM

Post #9282748

I live in zone 6b and planted a crocosmia last year. I covered it with a thick mulch for the winter and it came back beautifully. It gets full sun, & watered from soaker system depending on temperature. But the fact that it is a corm it MUST have good drainage. Most are lost from poor drainage than from cold temperatures.
NB62
Ogden, UT
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9282751

NB62 wrote:I live in zone 6b and planted a crocosmia last year. I covered it with a thick mulch for the winter and it came back beautifully. It gets full sun, & watered from soaker system depending on temperature. But the fact that it is a corm it MUST have good drainage. Most are lost from poor drainage than from cold temperatures.
The USDA has updated the hardiness zone for 2012. I went from 6a to 6b. It's on the web.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Crocosmia, a short review Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love your article and crocosmia! tabasco 30 Sep 27, 2010 7:16 AM
Question AlohaHoya 3 Nov 27, 2007 5:52 AM
How to get Crososmia to bloom in containers? clareb 0 Aug 6, 2008 4:53 PM
How does Crocosmia propogate? ShadowJack 0 Sep 7, 2008 4:04 PM
Crocosmia won't bloom idleness 0 Jun 13, 2010 4:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America