Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Daylilies: How to store DAYLILY BULBS while waiting for space to plant?

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 35, Views: 348
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #8139154

I'd like to separate my daylilies bulbs this week, since I have some time.
But the area that I want to use to plant them is busy with other stuff. This area will be ready in one month, after the potato vines growing there will freeze.
What shall I do?
Separate the daylily bulbs and store them someplace? but how?
or just wait to divide the bulbs and plant them when I will have the space? ... but I may have not the time then?

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8139160

I store the sweeties I'm not ready to plant in containers full of peat moss. Seems to work work good.

Only problem is I have four containers in my bedroom!

I've stored iris, daylilies, lilies, and asparagus this way.

Anybody got a better way?

DD
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #8139167

Daylilies are roots not bulbs. You sure your not talking Lilies?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #8139169

sorry: daylily ROOTS
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #8139222

I would pot up for the winter.
I just planted some in the garden raised bed however.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #8139242

Did you just not want to plant them now. Daylilies will do fine outside in your zone. I too, would pot them up. If I was going to keep them in peat, I would put just the roots in the peat and keep it moist. The only time ive seen daylily roots in peat is when some of the mail order people who clearly dont know daylilies, send them dried up in baggies with peat. If you want blooms next year, I would for sure pot them up now.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #8139245

Some sand and pine bark mulch mixed in with the peat you have, is a great mix for them.
shadeplantlover
Medina, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #8139260

I'm in zone 5 and have successfully wintered potted daylilies. I put them in a protected corner and cover with leaves picked up from the yard.
DayBloomer
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #8140014

If you have to winter them over in pots you could also use one of those frost blankets.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8140332

shadeplantlover..did you tip them over to prevent crown rot? I did and still lost a few :(
I am keeping a lot in pots, waiting for an eventual move..
Also..what is a frost blanket?

Joy

Joy
Kalama, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #8140466

I've never thought of tipping the pots over. Can anyone explain how this protects them from rot?
Just curious?

Maybe I should do this too?
DayBloomer
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #8140552

A frost blanket helps protect your plants from the freezing temperatures. Here is a link for a frost blanket:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_106085-23132-10024_0__?productId=3082813&Ntt=frost+blanket&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dfrost%2Bblanket
Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #8140563

Peat moss worked just fine for my daylilies. I had a Lot next to my house the developers were going to build a house on. It had tons of iris, daylilies, lilies, etc on it and I frantically tried to save as many as possible before the dozers went to work (wasn't 100% successful but I rescued alot). I was desperate to find a way to stash them until the rescue was complete and that is how they got packed in peat moss.

When I finally got around to planting them some daylilies had fans starting. None of the roots/tubers were dried out. I guess I had them stored in the peat moss for about 4 months total while I recovered.

DD
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #8141064

Joy..the tipping over was on the forum..somewhere. We have freeze, thaw..etc etc and I think that it was to keep the crowns from holding water that wouldn't percolate through the frozen soil in the pots. I think it helped a lot, but would like to do even more. It is so late in our season, that even if we move..the plant #'s outweight my energy.. HMMM unless I can store all the potted ones in a garage):0
Daybloomer-thanks for the link, will check it out.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #8141214

Joy, I know I mentioned the tipping over before. I have a nursery, and I tip my pots on their side for the winter, as Marcia said it keeps the crowns from rotting from water sitting on them and freezing, and thawing.

Joy

Joy
Kalama, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #8141657

That's good to know thank you. I think I'll try it. I lost a lot of potted plants last year when tempts dipped below normal for several days. Before that, I'd never lost a daylily to winter before. They say we may get below normal tempts again this winter because it's an el nina year. So I think I'll try this and get some frost blankets too.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #8141698

What are these frost blankets I keep reading about?
av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #8141771

About 3 years ago I went through double knee replacement surgeries. At the time I had 'gone nuts' and bought a ton of new DL without having finished preparing the bed, so they all ended up in pots. They survived all winter, and even a few that I had forgotten and left in a bucket of water to soak survived. In the spring I was amazed when this mass of green started growing in the bucket. They all made it in the ground and did fine.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #8141776

just bury them in some mulch and water them.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8141797

Thanks for all your help. I think I will follow all your suggestions and I hope our TX November will not be too cold.
DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #8141870

Trouble: [quote="DayBloomer"]A frost blanket helps protect your plants from the freezing temperatures. Here is a link for a frost blanket:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_106085-23132-10024_0__?productId=3082813&Ntt=frost+blanket&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dfrost%2Bblanket[/quote]

TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #8142031

Thanks DitchLily206, you are sooo kind!
DayBloomer
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #8142115

LOL, I've kept some outdoors in a bucket of water the past 2 years through the winter and they made it too. But if course now I have some in pots that are a lot more valuable so I will fuss and worry over them.
IndaShade
Kylertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8142626

I had some bare root in a Walmart bag in the basement over the winter a couple of years ago, and they survived. It was like six or seven months that they were out of the ground and dry as a bone. I don't recommend doing this, but it does show just how tough daylilies are.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #8142812

Tough till they get crown rot. I lost quite a few again this year. Dry spells and then wet takes it's toll here in the South anyway. Did have some that went Summer dormant return, but lost many, the only thing left in some spots are tags. LOL!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #8143098

I feel ya April. I was moving some yesterday that I had gotten as fall shipments, darned if the crowns wernt getting mushy on some. I cut off the mush and gave them a good dose of comet. They are drying today and will plant again tomorrow. I lost way more in pots than in the ground, Im just forcing myslef to get them in the ground this year.
DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #8143333

I may have lost the Sparks Forever in Blue Jeans that I got from the Busby Fall sale. It got crown rot after I planted it. I dug it up and treated it. Now the waiting begins.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #8143461

I lost Hippie Crash Pad, that was an auction win. It was 7 fans when I put it in the ground but it never did anything but sit there. Never grew at all. Lost Ancient Wisdom 8 fans, 1 Robes for the Queen, Kindly Light 3 fans, Fortunes Dearest 4 fans, Eye On America 3 fans, Multinomah 2 fans,Orange Dream 2 fans,Pirate King 6 fans, Pure and Simple 7 fans, Speechless 2 fans, Springfield Clan 1 fan, Todd Monroe 4 fans ,Wild Summer Wind 6 fans ,Wild One. There are more out there but I haven't gotten to all the beds yet to check my count. Having the Shingles didn't help my garden party any. Oh well, I guess I'm learning the nature of this Beast called Daylily Addition! LOL!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #8144621

Oh my April, that is really too bad about all your losses. That is heartbreaking. How are you feeling??? I hope better.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #8144823

Much better now that the weather is cooling down. Was pretty ruff with the pain from the shingles, but I only had 20 days of pain meds, so not that bad. I have heard of worse cases.
Thanks for you sympathy, hemlady, I'm glad I'm not letting it get to me like I did last year, I got so depressed, newbie symdrome I guess.
What did make it through looks great, just finished Fall fertilizing. Now I have to make plans for moving some things around. One year old seedlings and the such. Potted up a few NOIDS in large pots. Maybe I will get a Noid garden going, I have a small one around the mail box, but I need a larger one now. DH says he wants to put in a garden for himself and see how he can grow daylilies in HIS own little garden. Probably be the Spring before he attempts it though.
Happy Fall to ALL!
DayBloomer
Elizabeth City, NC
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2010
12:18 PM

Post #8145080

Happy Fall April! Glad to read that your feeling better. Get well soon! :-)
av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #8146234

Sorry to hear you have lost so many DL to rot! My soil here is almost pure sand and I don't have that much of a problem with crown rot. Sometimes on the first year a DL is planted it will die off with crown rot. Stinky mush ! ! !

I uncover the crown about 1/2 inch , and scrape as much of the crown away as I can. Then I sprinkle sulphur on top of it and I leave it in the ground another year to see if it comes back. I don't dig it up and transplant it. I figure the rot is in the crown, not the roots so why put it through the stress of a replant. I Have had great success with this treatment.

Here's a picture of Julie Newmar, you can clearly see the remains of the original crown, but the roots sent up new starts. It is now doing great. I divided it this year for trades and had 7 good sized fans

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl

av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8146235

Here's Morroccan Madness I treated the same way.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #8146238

I dig mine because the crown rots from the bottom up in my experience. If I dont find the till the top has rotted out, ive never been able to save it.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 10, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #8148050

Until I knew where I wanted to grow them, I have planted potted Clematis (pot and all) in the ground and they did great. I mulch the soil for added protection. Planted them this spring.

Edited to add that Daylilies could be handled the same.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2010 12:27 AM
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8151910

I have not had too much trouble with crown rot on new dl. I do have trouble with them sinking, and with heaving in the winter. Either is very bad. The other thing is, I have trouble w rot on large mature clumps. I guess they get thick and don't have the circulation around the base of the fans that they could have. They hold moisture and such in them and then rot. Very disheartening to lose a large clump like that.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America