Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Clean and Clutter-free: Excessive Clothing

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 216, Views: 2,007
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #8140435

I have too many clothes. My weight fluctuates, so I have a range of sizes I can wear, plus dream clothes that I could wear if I lose 20-30 pounds. All advice is to get rid of the dream clothes and be realistic about what does fit.
After a year of considering this, I have consigned and donated about half of what I started with. But I still have too much.

Has anyone parted with the skinny jeans and then lost the weight and regretted getting rid of the 20 yr old skinny jeans?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2010
1:31 AM

Post #8140497

I never regretted it. I can buy a new pair that fit real well faster than I can wait 30+ years for it to come back in style and my size to get close enough to try wearing it. I kept 2 pairs of jeans that will probably never fit me again, but I got rid of a couple of closets worth of other clothing that was in great shape and will bless whoever stops into that thrift store and buys it. This was real hard...I think that "Gourd" and I e-talked through a thread about it. I finally made: " I can buy a new pair that fit real well faster than I can wait 30+ years for it to come back in style." into a mantra and repeated it to myself a bunch of times as I tackled the first big closet. Oh, I kept a couple of suits that are "dream" clothes. It was hard to get rid of some classes of clothes. I really focused on the fact that I could re-buy it in a cut that was more flattering to my mature figure. That helped a lot.
I loved all of the room that I had once I got rid of all of the excess. It was super easy to put together an outfit after that - everything was so easy to find.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8140801

I actually have lost the weight to get back to the size I used to be, and I had kept some of the clothes that were that size (and the sizes between there and how big I'd gotten), but as I lost weight and pulled out old clothes that all of a sudden fit again, there's really nothing that's in style so it's all going to Goodwill before the holidays (and my stuff was only 5-10 yrs old). So my advice would be if you have one pair of skinny jeans that you want to keep around as inspiration to try and get back to that size then that's fine, but I'd really limit it to one or two pieces of clothing and get rid of everything else. Most of it won't ever be in style again, or even if it is, to JuneyBug's point shapes change as we get older so even if you get back to the same weight you were 20 yrs ago, the clothes that were really flattering then might not fit quite right or look quite appropriate now. Plus think how much fun it would be to treat yourself to a shopping trip to buy some new things if you do lose weight! Also, you'll find that sizes have changed over the years, so if you get back to the weight you were 20 yrs ago, you'll probably find that you're wearing a size or two smaller than you were then and that'll feel good too!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #8143822

I'm in the process of losing weight (lost 40 lbs so far). I've kept clothes from several years ago, mostly jeans which are expensive in the sizes I'll need them. I don't have a lot of money to budget for clothing, so I'll hang onto the sizes I used to wear as I work my way down to them. I am realistic and have kept only the clothing that I honestly believe I can wear in the next couple of years.

I do budget my space for the clothing though. I refuse to store anything in plastic containers or garbage bags. I also won't spread the clothing to other closets in the house. If it doesn't fit in my master bedroom closet, I get rid of it. Right now, half of the closet is for clothes I can currently wear and the other half are clothes in various sizes that I'll need as I continue to work thru this weight issue. I actually hate shopping so keeping these smaller sizes will save money and time.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #8144115

It will feel great to buy all new things when you lose the weight. I only kept very classic items that don't go out of style.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 9, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #8146663

It is good to see that I am in good company and we all think along the same lines. I too have smaller size clothing in my closet...waiting for who knows what? I don't usually have too much of a problem going through clothing and paring down, so don't have a lot of excess at the moment. There are a few things that I can think of that will be let go the next time I decide to go through my clothing.

Giving thought to my master closet and its contents brings me to a point where I realize that the closet is somewhat in disarray due to other things being put in there that probably should have another home. Going to pull a Huckleberry and start a new thread about it.

As always, good to see you all here and thanks for all the good tips that everyone shares so easily. I learn a lot whenever I read these threads.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #8151469

I am grateful to you all for your thoughts. I have decided to pull out all clothing that does not fit me NOW and whittle that pile down to just a few. All I need now is that "rainy day". =^..^=
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #8178656

Well, tonight was that "rainy night". I switched the summer clothes with the winter ones. Put about 8 things on the OUT pile. I told myself to detach my emotions from the clothing. Just look at it in terms of facts.
Does it fit? I mean now, not after I lose 20 pounds.
Is it flattering? What about the color, the texture, the print or pattern?
Does it need work? Will I actually make the effort to fix what is wrong with it?

Ok, I admit I have the couches piled with clothing again. The guest bed is once again the OUT pile. But I feel I am making some progress here. I am reining in some of my wildest fantasies and emotions surrounding me and my clothes. The piles are getting smaller. One piece at a time.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #8179064

Way to go, Huck. It really does get easier the more you do it. And the more progress you see, the higher you get when you get rid of stuff. You're doing great!!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8179704

I am so glad that you got going on this! You are right, this is the perfect time to do this. I am going to get on it today and I am going to keep in the front of my mind what ecrane said about her stuff: it was not even old stuff and it was completely out of style. I have also learned that when you lose weight, your body has changed shape a bit and you need a slightly different cut of clothes.
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

October 27, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8180345

Maybe, huckleberry, you can decide to keep one smaller beautiful outfit. I paid lots of money for a gorgeous suit - can't wear it now, but I'm keeping it and getting rid of all the other clothes that are too small. I had a blouse that I kept because I loved it. I tried it on several times over the last two years. It was too small, and I decided that since I have not worn it for two years it was time to "share" it. I take all my extra stuff and put it in the van immediately. I don't have the patience to take stuff to a consignment store. It has to get out of here when I'm in the mood.

I had been saving some beautiful fabric to make dresses and pinnafores for the granddaughters for my DS's graduation from Medical school. I realize that my DIL hates to iron, she's critical of the clothing I've made for the baby, and who knows what size they will be in 6 months. So I loaded up some more fabric and sent it to the goodwill, too. They love me over there. There is a parking place near the front door with my name on it. LOL!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #8180745

Way to go, Gava! Someone, somewhere, will make good use of the shared clothing and fabric. And best of all, you can be free of some of the clunks you get when you "interfere" with the younger generation. ;-)
Love the idea of a Donor-of-the-Month parking space. The new Goodwill here has drive-thru donation which is nice.
Juney, I know you are right about the body changing shape. That is reason enough to ditch the old glory rags. Imagine losing all that weight, only to discover the seat of my pants isn't what or where it used to be. Now that would be depressing enough to gain the weight back and live in sweats and snuggies the rest of my days!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2010
9:52 PM

Post #8180752

LOL! True!
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

October 28, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8182193

Oh, huckleberry! You are always so smart! Thanks for the chuckle about my buns shifting positions. My husbands muscles have all moved around to the front of his body. He has a gut now - he's so proud of it, because he tried to gain weight for years. Anyway my weight shifts and the old pants don't fit anymore.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 31, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #8186600

You go Huckleberry!!! As you said...these things get done one step at a time, piece by piece. My husband always encourages me to do a little each day rather than look at an overwhelming job before me. Like Gava, the mood has to strike me before I do any thing much. That is how I visit the hair dresser too. I wake up one morning and say...today is the day to get the mop addressed and I need to do it then.

Here is hoping no ghosts or goblins trick any of you tonight. Have a happy halloween and a good week coming up.

Thanks everone for the good tips you share.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #8186627

Sometimes, Ruby, the mood doesn't strike until you actually begin. Beginning is the often the hard part. And you might find that if you begin, even when you don't want to, the mood comes over you suddenly and before you know it, you've completed the project.

I tell you, the mood never strikes me to clean my house...until after I've begun in some way. Maybe someone's coming for a visit so I think I'll just dust the livingroom. Well, the cleanliness of it then motivates me to dust all other rooms, sweep and mop, clean the bathroom, clean up my desk clutter, and do the laundry. Had I not just begun something, anything, my friend might be sitting in my dirty house. (Company coming is such a great motivator for me! LOL) Take you're husband's advice and try just working for a few minutes. I bet once you get started, you won't stop til it's done.
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

October 31, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #8187370

I have spent the last couple of days remodeling some of my favorite skirts. I'm too thick in the waist; the skirts are beautiful wool. And I won't do this for anybody elsek! I'm taking out darts - I don't have a waist - and adding some fabric to the waist band. These few hours of removing seams, pressing, and stitching will mean nice warm clothes to wear again. I refuse to do a poor job of the task and it takes longer to do this than it would to start from scratch. There is nothing more beautiful than a mid-calf skirt worn with boots - even on a squatty body like mine. So I toil on...

Starting IS the hard part.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8189662

Starting IS the hard part! Boots are back (I guess they were not "out") Good going Gava! I'm relieved I'm not the only one who re-makes clothing.
I just read of a clothing drive going on at the High School. While my clothes are not that youthful, I am going thru them AGAIN to see what may help the kids.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2010
12:03 AM

Post #8189748

Don't cut those kids short! I wore a whole lot of my 60yo Mom's clothes when I was in HS. I accessorized VERY differently than she did, of course. A nice shirt looks good on anyone...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 2, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #8190692

Yep, I hear you again Nancy Ann. Fretting and stewing over something that is let undone has robbed me of a lot of time that I could have been accomplishing something.

Gava, I know that you will look extra classy in the skirts and boots. Woo Woo!!

Huckleberry, it sounds as though you still have some things, clothing wise to get rid of. You much have had one heck of a collection of things. Good job on paring down.

Juney, I too remember wearing a lot of my mom's things during my high school years too. She purchased only the very best, so at the time I looked quite good.

Thanks for the pep talk everyone. Take good care.

Ruby

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #8199923

Just recently we went on a trip to southern CA for a high school reunion. Before we left as I started to pack ahead of time, I cleaned out my closets. I got rid of everything I knew that I would never wear. (Why was I saving all those things, anyway?) Some of the clothes were given to me or I inherited. I saved them, but they did not suit me. I felt compelled to keep them, and then I just decided to keep what I will wear. Yes, I did keep just a handful, 5 items, that were not practical, but valuable. Not sure what to do with them, but I will figure it out. All those scratchy sweaters - gone, shirts and shorts that no longer fit - gone! Now I am working on other things. Cleaning out my desk right now.

TTYL
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #8204021

Nice to meet you, Evelyn. I like your style!

I donated 2 bags of clothing to the Humane Society thrift store. Bought several things in there too. My mother doesn't shop for herself anymore and I have been buying a few things for her, something I promised myself I would not do anymore. Oops. I think I will blame this slippage on the fact that it gets dark early now ( whatever!). =^..^=
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 20, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #8221477

Huckleberry, you are a hoot!!! I always laugh when reading some of your posts.

Great going on the closet Evelyn. I have two desks that I need to work on before too long. I am at the point now of having a hard time locating many things that I need from time to time. I believe that it can wait until after the holidays though because I have lots of other places that need my attention first.

I love hearing success and progress stories. Keep up the good work everyone.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #8226391

Well goodie because I have a small success to report. I took 26 items to the High School clothing swap. That is the good news. The bad news is that I let someone peer pressure me into participating in the swap and I ended up bringing 10 other items home. Some people just can't stand progress! ;-)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #8226589

You're still 16 ahead, Huck! Congrats!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 24, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #8228250

That is the way I see it too BC. Good going Huckleberry.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 24, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #8228253

Some weeks back I spent a couple of days organizing my master bedroom closet to accomodate the Christmas gifts I have purchased recently. While in there I ws able to get rid of about eight or ten pairs of shoes and a few items of clothing. I noticed that I have a rack in there which usually holds my knock around clothes and robes. There are only four pegs on the rack and each peg has two or three articles of clothing hanging on it.

I finally got some new hooks that I will install when I can find the time and thus have more places to hang things that don't warrant a clothes hanger. Since organizing it I find it quite pleasant to open the door and see organization versus disarray. Feels nice.

I hope that everyone is havinga good week. gobble gobble

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #8238479

I wanted to reduce my coat collection in July. I talked myself out of it by saying I would wear each one during the winter for a proper evaluation, then get rid of any I don't love or have a need of. Sort of a homework assignment. Dry cleaner needs approx. $13.00 to clean each one I decide to keep. I am appealing to my frugality to make the necessary cuts.

I did divide my clothes in two, what fits now is in the closet and what will fit if/when I lose 25lbs is in the guest room. I plan to look at them often in the hope they will help me lose the weight.

Decided to focus on the accessories, as scarves, jewelry and bags don't care what size I am and never will. ;-))
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 4, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #8243491

It took a couple of weeks but I was finally able to take down the four pegged rack in the master closet and hang another one with twice as many pegs on it. Works so much better now. At the moment my master bedroom closet is full of all my Christmas stash (gifts and wrap). After that is all given away, I might even have space in the closet for John to put his clothes. If John puts his clothes in the master closet that will mean that we will have a coat size closet to store other household things. I am starting to see the light, finally.

Huckleberry, every little bit counts and so whatever you do towards organizing and paring down counts toward a job well done. I am very happy to report that along with de-cluttering the house, I am also dropping some excess poundage. Yippie. I might even find myself being able to soon fit in to some of the smaller jeans I own. I was delighted as I dressed yesterday to head out to building supply store. I had to put on a belt with the jeans I wore and the heavier top I wore is one that I purchased some time back but never wore because it was too tight. I hope that my losing streak keeps up for a while.

I tend to hold on to coats too Huckleberry. I went through the closets a couple of months back and was able to get rid of several of them. Coats take up a lot of space. Keep up the good work girl.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #8243612

I've heard of many marriages where the husband's clothes aren't in the master bedroom. The wife commandeers the entire closet. Feng shui says we have to make room for our partners. If you're in a relationship or hoping to be, it's necessary to make room for him. Both partners need to know they're equal in the relationship. Feng shui says both partners should have half of the master closet, some of the drawers in the dresser, and a nightstand and lamp on each side of the bed. By forcing one partner to store clothes in a closet outside the master bedroom, it appears that one partner is being pushed out of the room as well as the relationship.

I know none of you mean to push your partners away, but do they themselves feel like they have been? I love the concepts of Feng Shui. It's all about harmony, and sharing the master closet is part of that harmony I feel. Of course I'm single and I have a 10 ft closet full of MY stuff! LOL So now we know why I'm still single. Hmmmmm...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 5, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #8244936

I studied Feng Shui for some time and as I have mentioned before, could never get past step one which is to have no clutter. Maybe after the house is de-cluttered, I can begin incorporating more of the FS concepts in to my style.

After all of my Christmas gifts are given this year, there will be space for more of John's things in my the Master closet. I was thinking last night that I need to begin spending some time wrapping gifts. Gonna just have to bite the bullet and do it. Maybe I will attempt to get to a few of them today. That is going to be a major undertaking and I might just become like some of you who have been able to let this particfular stress go and are not bothered with the time and expense of purchasing alot of things. Right now it is fun because I have little ones to buy for.

Have a good Sunday all.

Ruby
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 5, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8245116

for several years now I have kept clothes in several sizes while I went up and down now it is all going down and think this time it will stay off so I am quilty of a summer and winter clothes closet because I need things for the summer because I go thru the summer everyday tshirts and sweats because of my job, and then I have the winter clothes for both nice things to wear and for warmth. I have just gotten rid of 4 bags the big outdoor black bags of clothes that I will take to Cats Meow a thrift store that is all volunteer workers and the only money coming out for expenses is the rent lights water gas and the rest goes to continue to save animals. Then I have the 7 boxes to give of glass items. It does fell good!

D
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #8245639

Congratulations, Dee!! Both on the weightloss and the decluttering job! What a great cause you're donating to too!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8246234

Dee, that's a win, win, win! Good for you, the animals, and the bargain shoppers.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 9, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #8252212

Good work Dee. You sure are on the ball and really are getting things done. Yes indeed, it does feel good. I haven't really had issues with having too many clothes, but from time to time, I do go through and get rid of things that I know I will never wear again.

What has me excited clothing wise is that my son who is twenty years old and likes to purchase clothing and shoes finally got rid of some of his things this week. A friend of his took about ten shirts and the box going to Goodwill tomorrow has about ten in it also. A few weeks back , John sent things to donation too. To actually have closet space is a good feeling.

Again, good work Dee.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010
9:57 PM

Post #8252716

Wonderful, Ruby and fellas. Keep those unworn clothes in circulation.

I have been test-driving my collection of coats. Called a few dry cleaners to get cost estimates for cleaning. $12-18 dollars each. :-O
I decided to keep one after I moved the belt loops up and more to the back. Now it fits perfectly. I am going to use this one as my "dress" coat and build a wardrobe around it.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #8252730

As my excess weight has caused me to hang on to clothing, I decided I had better get serious about losing this 20 lbs and maintaining one weight so I can minimize the clothing.

I am keeping a food journal for three weeks. I began yesterday and was mindful of my choices and portions. Today I was like a sailor on shore leave. I ate everything in sight and wrote it all down too, just for spite. What an attitude problem I have! I hope this is normal and that I will settle down and stay on the right path once I am done rebelling.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2010 4:26 PM
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #8252747

Weight loss Drs. encourage you to have a cheat day every 7-10 days. It actually helps you lose weight when you know that it is coming up and your body will not 'get used' to the fewer calories and slow down the metabolism.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #8254040

I'm relieved to learn that. For a moment I wondered if I would eat the notepad and pencil. The grocery store had samples today- I sampled 14 things and I wrote every one down. I hope I will get so tired of writing things down, I will not put it in my mouth to begin with.
Got my dress coat from the cleaners. It looks and smells much nicer...almost worth the $17.85 charge. It has been at least 10 years since I have used a cleaners.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 11, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #8254427

Huckleberry Girl - I am just really thrilled with reading your posts this week. You, my friend are getting on the band wagon and are making some great progress. In fact, you are addressing many issues at once and sound all gung ho. We are here for you too. As Juney pointed out, remember to give yourself a break from time to time in order to renew your spirit and soul. It does my spirit good to hear of the things that you are doing. Keep up the good work!!!

Juney, as always, you are here to cheer us all on. A smile comes to my lips each time I see your name. Even though we may never meet face to face, please know that I regard you two ladies and many others on these threads as true friends. If at the end of the day when you may feel as though you may not have contributed much to mankind on a particular day, remember that each of you have helped me in any number of ways, and I am truly appreciative even though I may forget from time to time to acknowledge it.

Have a good weekend for anyone reading.

Ruby
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 11, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8254526

Huck good luck with the weight chart it does help. I lost weight two ways, one highly recommend other do NOT. First eat 6 mini meals high in protein as it makes you less hungry. The other was open heart surgery the last of Sept this year.

I wish I could get to more areas to clean but with grandson here and taking alot of room up and the holidays I need to wait now. But will get back to it. As I want to get so much stuff out of here.

D
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8255909

Thank you for the encouragement. I didn't rebel yesterday, must be accepting the food journal. I think I am losing a bit, my coats aren't feeling as snug.
E-mailed my sister to see if she wants a bag full of fabric (clothes) and notions to make things for her daughter's American Girl dolls. My niece is 91/2..old enough to attempt her own projects, I say. ;-)
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #8275937

I'm on day 17 of food journaling. Haven't lost a pound, but I didn't expect to as this IS the holiday season. If you want a challenge in life, try food journaling while eating at buffets.

I am test-driving different articles of clothing and different combinations. A few times I have felt very close to getting rid of ALL clothing and just become a nudist. Wouldn't have to do laundry or pay for dry-cleaning.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 25, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #8276270

Huck, you are truly a nut!!! Please send pics if you decide to take up the new life style. hahaha

I have been slowly losing a bit of weight over the past six months or so. Last night while rifling through my sleepwear drawer I found a gown that looks brand new. In fact, even though it has some age on it, it is brand new because it was too tight when I tried it on when I first bought it . I am excited about trying it soon to see if my loss will now allow me to wear it some.

Today is Christmas Day and I hope that everyone will have a good one. Love you gals.

Ruby

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #8278691

just paging through this forum today and can't believe i skipped over this thread. it's a good one!
i am really into the bare minimalist mode with clothing. for years (since moving to florida), i've picked up clothing that i thought would be great to wear for visits to st. louis (my hometown). guess what? it never happens that way. either it doesn't fit (a pound here and there, on or off), it's out of style or the real truth-i wear there what i wear here so why the "special" clothing?
anyway, i find that only having a few things to wear is a huge relief. i buy my garden/knock-around grunge clothes at a thrift shop or a local discount store and i like having a small stockpile of that kind of clothing. the "better" clothing i try to keep to a minimum but no more fancy stuff for me. i'm at the age now where i can wear what i want and no one is going to look sideways at me...and if they do-i don't really care! i like to be comfortable and classic with a bit of my old hippie days thrown in.

you can do a world of things with a couple pairs of jeans. a long tunic/dress over them spiffs them up or tuck the skinny ones into high boots. one thing i do have is pretty many pairs of jeans in different hem lengths. i have some for flats, small heels, mid heels and and higher heels and boots. i mark in pen on the inside tag how long they are and i can grab the one i need without taking off jeans and shoes over and over for the right hem. i'm a freak about the length of a pant! lol can't you tell?

another thing i use is Dryel or a generic counterpart for dry cleaning. i quit using a dry cleaner many moons ago. i had one hold-out, a dress with beading that i HAD to dry clean. i decided that even though i liked the dress, it was easier to let it go than to spend money on cleaning it since it was one of those things i might never wear again...i don't miss it!

when i buy something new, the cleaning instructions are one of the first things i look at now.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #8278740

I'm like you, Trackinsand. I look at cleaning instructions before I buy something. I also look for clothing that doesn't wrinkle easily. I stay away from Rayon, something I used to love but had to iron or dry clean constantly. I've discovered other beautiful, low-maintenance fabrics. Just about all my clothes can be washed, dried, and immediately hung up and look great.

I also simplify by not having winter clothing and summer clothing. I wear the same clothes year round. In the winter, I just throw on a blazer over a short-sleeved shirt. My mom keeps her heat up to 80 year round, so if I wore long sleeves or sweaters, I'd burn up at her house. My co-workers keep the office hot too, so I can take my blazer off and be more comfortable in my short sleeved blouse. I gave up long sleeves a long time ago simply because they got in the way. I was always getting a sleeve in my soup or getting a sleeve hung on something and ripped. Short sleeves fit my lifestyle year round.
pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #8279408

I've been lurking here and this thread is for me. I have several big plastic tubs of clothes that will fit if I loose 10, 20 or 30 pounds. I got rid of two of the tubs last week. I did cheat and keep one for, if I loose 10lb. Now when I get something out of the closet if it is a little tight or has a little stain or whatever it goes in the garbage or the thrift store pile. For some reason before I would just put it back in the closet. I still have a long way to go but have made progress. Although it was kind of depressing to see the clothes I liked but can't fit into anymore.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #8280082

there's nothing like a clean, stream-lined closet and a few new pieces that are in in style and fit well to lift a depression. you don't have to spend much to get happy!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8281415

Oh happy day! I'm glad this thread is picking up steam because I was starting to think I was the only one with clothing quandries.
I like the assurances that less is better. I am not talented at ironing, so I have few clothes that need it.

Today is the 21st day of my 3-week food journaling exercise. I lost a pound from all the writing.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #8281461

Huck you are too funny... I need to do it all, declutter, get rid of excessive clothes that do not fit, lose weight. 2011 needs to be the year.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2010
10:35 PM

Post #8281476

Yes, it does need to be the year. The planet could spin faster if we lose the weight.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2010
12:52 AM

Post #8281492

I got this in an email today; my favorite way to get rid of clothes... http://www.debtproofliving.com/DPLResources/EverydayCheapskate/VisitorEverydayCheapskate/tabid/275/smid/663/ArticleID/533370/reftab/38/t/Default.aspx
Donate it all and take a tax deduction.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #8282900

yes, huck, assuring you that less IS better!
christmas eve i was dressing for a small party. normally i plan these things out for weeks in advance but this was a spur of the moment decision. it was so incredibly satisfying to be able to take out the proper length pants/jeans for the boots i wanted to wear and then to grab several different tops (all of which i knew were clean, well-fitting and went with the jeans and boots) and do some quick try-ons. before, i had so many choices that i'd end up in the closet for an hour and still not be really happy.

i'm also a firm believer in a "uniform". when i reached a certain age, i pretty much knew what my style was, what colors i liked, etc. i stick with a basic look now and dress it up or down with accessories (shoes/boots & purses). i always consider color when buying something. i might love certain colors but i don't really wear much color so i just try to think hard before i make the final purchase. i usually walk around the store after i put a few things in the cart to give myself a "cooling off" time. LOL
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #8284417

Good advice, Track. I had a brief honeymoon with my closet this Spring. Now it is so full of clothing on hangers I can't take any item out easily. Time to do some more weeding.

I have been on a 40 hour clean-out (of my digestive tract). Had only leeks in broth to eat yesterday and today until dinner, when I had chicken and rice with celery, herbs and apple. I have lost another pound, all water, I know. Had a headache and a spinal ache from the caffeine withdrawl. I DID NOT CHEAT, EVEN THO I REALLY, REALLY WANTED TO! And while I broke the fast to make and eat dinner, I did not reward myself with the sugar cookies I have been fantasizing about. Tried on my tight suit. It was not as tight as it was on the 18th. Yippee!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8284659

YAY!

another thing i did years ago is buy decent hangers, the clear plastic type. i threw out every wire hanger i had and also those big solid colored molded plastic things where the "head" won't turn. i'm a freak about my clothes hanging properly and not getting that stretched out "hanger" shoulder. i also hate it when they slide off onto the floor. another thing i like is that the ones i use take up more room and that means less clothes will fit and that's a good thing.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #8284708

I hate wire hangers too! The only thing they're good for is unlocking your car when you've locked your keys inside. I hated how they got all tangled up in the closet. What a mess!!

I love the plastic colored hangers. I have a different color in each closet to match the decor in the room. I have a touch of OCD, and I like all my hangers to match in the closet. I also arrange my clothes by style and color. All my tshirts, which I use for the garden, are at one end. All my dress shirts take up the rest of the closet, arranged by color. It's probably silly, but I like the neat way it looks like that.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #8285078

not silly at all! i have more than a touch of OCD myself. my closet is arranged by color too but it's easy since almost every top is black! lol ...long sleeve, then short, then sleeveless...my sweaters are all either black, olive green or have some burnt orange in them...

edited to add that learned the hard way about iron hangers in a hot climate-rust marks!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2010 2:07 PM
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8289386

Hanger confessions. I scored a big box of hangers at an estate auction...approx. 75 old-school wooden hangers with crocheted covers...for $2.00. Probably my best bargain. We love them.
I keep about a dozen thick plastic hangers in the laundry for hanging things to air-dry. No worry about rust or stains from the damp clothing on metal or yarn or bare wood. Most of them are white, but one is lt. blue and one lavendar. If something blue or lavendar comes out of the wash, guess which hanger gets to wear it?

I am doing ok on my weight reduction plan. Been running/walking everyday, even in the snow. Have been reducing portions and frequency of snacking. Indulging in a few holiday pleasures and savouring them instead of inhaling them.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8289404

I forgot a big thing...I have not had caffeine for 5 days. I have had a suspicion that caffeine is what fuels some of my afternoon voraciousness.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8289745

I left caffeine behind about two months ago and only drink decaf now. The caffeine just was too much for me.

My hangers are "Slim Anti-Slip Velvet Hangers". I bought them in colors to match the bedroom and love them.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 4, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8292070

When cleaning out my mother's hoard, I came upon a dresser drawer cramed full of bras, many with the tags still on. My mother had one breast removed due to cancer and they did a reduction on the other over 20 years ago and has not worn a bra since. (did she think they would grow back?) The real shame was even the brand new ones were stiff and the elastic rotted with age, so all were trash. The drawer below was crammed with underwear. I would wager there was more then 150 pairs. These were not the ones she wears now. Those she kept in her laundry basket or on top of the dresser because the drawer was to full. Again, the elastic was rotting. I really don't understand how you end up with that many pairs of underwear. We threw that away along with a lot of stained clothing. She still has an insane amount. I bet there are at least 50 pairs of pull on polyester pants. I am not sure she still wears them, but she has every color under the sun. Unfortunately, the elastic was still good in those, so they are in a box for her to go through. There was also a lot of purses, shoes and gloves. The whole thing has made me rethink wheat is in my closet and somethings are going!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8292076

Perhaps everyone should have to clean a hoarders home. It does make you more aware of what you keep and what you need to clean out of your own home. If everyone considered what they leave behind for someone else to clean up and all the money they've wasted on excess, maybe they'd be more frugal with money and space.
texasg
Arlington, TX

January 4, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8292673

I learned my lesson about keeping clothes that I outgrew...I had a silk dress that I loved. 10 years later I was back down to the size of the dress. I put it on, and it looked ridiculous on me.
30 don't look like 20, 40 don't look like 30 and almost 50 don't look like almost 40... oy!

Ain't nothing where it used to be...

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8292818

Gravity is not a friend of most women.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 5, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8293669

You nuts are always good for a laugh. I was just noticing the effect of gravity on my body last night. I was like Tracie's mother and had a breast removed six years ago and a reduction of the other breast. I seldom wear bras but last night noticed some sagging that wasn't there a few months ago. I might have to begin wearing them again soon.

Huckleberry, you are really doing great with the weight reduction plan. You are doing all the correct things that will make it a success for you. I know it probably seems slow to you but the slower it comes off, the more likely it will stay off. Over the past six months or so I have been dropping some extra poundage myself. I don't mind stepping on the scales at the doctors office any more. I still have a way to go but have faith that I will for once in my life be where the health index charts says I should be. Dang, I had to become a senior citizen for this to happen. I guess the man upstairs knew that I might get a fat head if I had a closer to a perfect body and youth along with it. hahaha

I cleaned my clothes closet some months back and then proceeded to ;using the shelving to house Christmas gifts up until recently. I now have open shelving in there and haven't yet decided what I will be putting in there. Kind of thrilling to open it and see some space for now.

A couple of weeks ago when I couldn't cram one more thing in my top drawer to my dresser which hold panties, bras, socks, hosieryand bedroom slippers, I asked my hubby if I could share his underwear drawer. His top drawer of his dresser is about double the size of the other drawers and there was all of this extra space in it. So, I am now sharing underwear drawer with hubby. He gave me requested sachets for Christmas and the Passion Flower scent is yummy. Haven't asked him what he thinks of his new smelling jockeys. hahaha

Good to see all the new folks posting today. So glad that folks are being helped with their issues because of the topic. Welcome everyone.

Hope everyone is enjoying their day.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8303769

Hello all and welcome, Texasg. I smiled all the way with you in telling your tale of the silk dress.
These tales of clothing follies are very touching to me. I don't know what it is about clothing...identity seems to be a big factor in why we keep things that don't fit or are no longer used. Now that I have stopped menstruating (WARNING: TMI), I gathered up all my "lady stuff" and offered it to my stepdaughters. One of them took everything! The others recoiled in horror! You just never know what you may get for Christmas from me. ;-)

I am plugging along on the weight loss/shape-up plan. Been creating new, healthy habits to replace the old, unhealthy ones. Still off the caffeine. Had a slim piece of choc. cake at 8:30pm and tossed and turned all night. Caffeine? Am I so pure now that one teensy piece of choc. will torment me for hours? I can hardly believe that is the case, but there I was, tossing and turning.

I picked up a beige top that goes with the suit and dress coat I have decided to keep. This is so typical of the way I conduct my affairs. Start with the difficult things and quit in frustration before I ever get close to the easy part. Well, I didn't quit this time. I persevered and boing!, found the perfect top. Very satisfying feeling. =^..^= purr
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8304061

Purring is always so satisfying.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 11, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8304710

Awwwww Huck, I love reading your posts. You always bring a smile to my face. I believe that you are somewhat like myself and don't have a false or fake bone in your body. What a person sees, is what they get. Always been like, and plan to always be. Much easier than trying too keep up with a lie.

Yep, what a shock to your system the caffeine in the chocolate must have been. Before I became a regular coffee drinker, I can remember the few times when I drank coffee and the same as yourself as far as tossing and turning all night goes. You are a real inspiration on how you have taken control of your diet these days. It take a lot of strength and discipline to stick to it. You are doing great. Keep up the good work.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8307812

Thanks, Ruby. Funny how the anonimity(sp?) of the internet makes people either completely honest..or completely fake. I could be a 12yr-old boy with no clutter who is just pulling your leg for jollies. =^..^= purr!
I walked and ran quite a bit on my trip to the coast. Thought I was good about my food choices and portions. The scale and my jeans say otherwise. I have gained 4lbs!!@#%!
But here is the important part...DO NOT QUIT. Do not dive into the snacks. Just keep going. My flesh is playing tricks on me to get me to go back to my old habits. It is putting up a fight, wanting to hold on to the fat. But the fat is getting to be too much burden for my skeleton to carry. So my flesh and my skeleton must come to a compromise. My brain must tell my mouth to relax. My brain must grow a backbone. I'm not going to let this 4 lbs stop me in my path. I've got my dream clothes all lined up and I am not going to be forced to get rid of them because I could not lose any weight. Not this time!
Phew, ok, back to clothes. Today I had an appointment with my consignment lady and she took most of what I brought her. Most importantly, she accepted a gorgeous red hooded coat that must weigh 10lbs. I loved that coat but wore it only once in 6yrs (it was a bit too big). That was my "fat" coat, as it was long and large and I hoped it would hide all my bulges. I have rid myself of most of the over-sized clothing I was hiding in.
I used some of my credit (I have $215.00 left) and bought a pair of off-white trousers. I have worn nothing but jeans or dark pants since I started gaining weight. So I have to do the work to look ok in these white pants. Right now I can see the pocket linings from the outside, as my flesh is pushing against the fabric. If I lose the 4lbs and continue to gain muscle tone, I should be very happy in these white pants. That's my goal for the week, to look ok in the white pants. Never thought I would have this kind of a goal.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8308144

Good luck with attaining your goal. Motivation is often the hardest part of either losing weight, ridding ourselves of clutter or any job - even weeding.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 14, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8310409

Wow Huck, your self discipline is amazing me. I am such a slug and the idea of dieting or exercising regularly tires me out. hahaha Just the thought, egads. Anyway, yes you are correct. I have heard that our bodies will fight us to get back to our heaviest weight. I can emphathize with anyone trying to diet. It does require a lot of discipline, but it can be done and you are going to the one of the ones to succeed with this. Thanks for the updates.

Yep, keep on talking to that stupid four pounds that the scale is showing. I seriously doubt that it is true weight, but something occurring with your body due to the change of locations for a while. I know whenever I travel, I am not as "regular" as I am usually. Too much info? hahaha

Anyway...keep up the great work. You are going to do this thing. I just know it.

Ruby

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8310827

I can't keep up with the various threads that all going on simultaneously.

I found a brand of clothing a couple of years back that didn't really seem to have a size. Hot Cotton by Marc Ware. I love the design. Only problem is 95% is 100% linen. I keep seeing that it is not required to iron linen these days. Well, not for this old lady. I have at least 60 coordinating pieces all ironed and lined up in a nice row in my closet. When I dress, I look at them with such satisfaction but then I think, no, not that one, it will have to be ironed. Sigh. Can't wear them, can't get rid of them. I really need some inspiration. Since January 2010 I have lost 25 pounds. The book "Eat This, Not That" plus daily email from the same is the trick. I feel no deprivation. At 4'11", this has made a huge difference. Still would like to take off another 15-20 pounds. Another reason the wardrobe doesn't look like it used to. If you have a Belk's Dept. store in your area, that's where you will find this brand.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8311308

I can't keep up either, Lou! Sorry for being AWOL. Lifestyle changes, trying to get more sleep, equals less computor time.

Thank you for your encouragement, Ruby and Pirl. I did it, I loss the 4lbs again. I don't trust scales, but the jeans don't lie. Tomorrow I will see how those white pants are fitting.

Keep going thru those closets, drawers and totes, everyone!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8319966

We'll pretend it is "tomorrow". I tried the white pants on. Not enough weight or tone change to notice, pocket linings still very visible. At least I am getting a grip on my emotions. I did not get the urge to go running for the chip bag in despair and frustration. Baby steps...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8320215

At least you're trying, Huck. Baby steps are the only way to go. Good luck.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 20, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8320371

Hi Ladies - Yep, a lot of threads to keep up with, but each so informative that I will continue to try and keep up if I can. Huck, I wrote another girl friend yesterday who is also doing the weight loss bit right now. I pointed out to her that the weight didn't appear over night and it won't disappear over night either. It is a process and you know the drill...baby steps. You can do it though, I am sure.

Lou, congrats on the weight loss. Oh yeah, being short and adding a few pounds seems to make a lot of difference. Someone taller can easily carry the extra without it showing as much as on someone of shorter stature. Good going!!!

The clothes hound in my house is my son. He too has been going through and getting rid of things he no longer uses. Certainly a step in the right direction.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2011

Post #8323523

I am still on track, shape-up wise.
Hubby decided to go thru his jeans and slacks. Got rid of 6 pair. Whoopee!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8323832

Score! Jack got rid of slacks and sweaters - next come the jackets.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 22, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8323875

I love how our involvement in de-cluttering rubs off on those around us. One day this week I looked in to two small containers that have set on my kitchen counter for years and are always full of odds and ends that hubby leaves in them. When I was dusting I noticed they were empty. I asked him what happened to the contents and he said that he hid them away so that it wasn't a thorn in my side any longer. Hey, I hadn't complained, or don't remember complaining, but that is two less things I have to dust, so I am happy.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8330637

Fabulous, Pirl and Ruby. You are both gems!

I packed hubby's pants and a few other items to the new consignment shop and they were closed for a family emergency. Had a moment when I thought I would take them to Goodwill instead, but my desire to "trade up" got the better of me. I guess that means I am hooked on consigning now. I will return.
Walked past many retail racks of 50% off items and didn't even want to look, let alone buy. I'm all over the place. Sometimes I get the urge, sometimes I don't. As I get more physically fit, I think I can control my emotions more easily. Then I don't want to control myself. I may have an inner child who is a complete brat.

Been walk/running every day. I go easy, no injuries or aches. I am definitely toning up, posture is much better now. I am working outdoors again. Have had sunny days and no rain for awhile. Been in bed, reading a mystery at 10pm every night this week. I love it. The only thing that is suffering is my computor time. Set tonight aside for this. Last night I soaked my feet and scrubbed the callouses with a pumice stone. I have had to budget my time and it is making sense now.
Hope you are all doing well.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 31, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8340375

Great report Huck. You are a certainly taking control of that inner brat and really doing a great job in addressing the areas of your life that need attention. Oh yeah, I am familiar with inner brats. Mine rears its ugly head from time to time too.

Keep up the good work.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 31, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8341846

Got ready to use the treadmill today, but the DVD player I planned on watching while I walked didn't work. Ran to store for new one, and returned 2 packs of tube caulking while I was there. Mailed a scarf to my niece as a surprise, (I started knitting it last year but just finished it). Will hook up the new DVD player in the morning and try to get the disc out of the old one, then no excuses, I will start on decluttering the hips and thighs so my clothing fits.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8344289

Yeay! Jump right in where you are. And remember to go easy. You will not shape up if you are sore or injured! Don't forget to drink some water after your workout. It will keep you hydrated and help keep you from feeling hungry and possibly overeat as a "reward" for having exercised. I have fallen for that for years! Not anymore, though.

Keep on decluttering, everyone.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8344922

[quote="huckleberry6"] Yeay! Jump right in where you are. And remember to go easy. You will not shape up if you are sore or injured! Don't forget to drink some water after your workout. It will keep you hydrated and help keep you from feeling hungry and possibly overeat as a "reward" for having exercised. I have fallen for that for years! Not anymore, though.

Keep on decluttering, everyone.[/quote]

Great Groundhogs Day, Huck...waking up and ala movie of same name making changes each day til it works!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8346058

thanks, i luv groundhog's day! i figure if i lose one ounce a day, i am doing great. i am learning to go easy on myself.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 2, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8346099

Made it 2 days in a row of the treadmill. I know it's not much, I'm just posting to hold myself accountable! I used to walk 2 miles about a year and a half ago. Didn't realize what bad shape I'm in now. Could only do a mile and a quarter, but I'll keep going. I walk a lot at work (clocked it at 6-7 miles), but that isn't all at once. I plan on doing 30 minutes a day to start and doing some walking some jogging. Was only able to jog 2 1/2 minutes before asthma kicks in, but it's a start that I can build on.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8346121

It is a fabulous start, Nurse! but don't forget to go easy so you can keep going. I am not a bit surprised you walk 6-7 miles a day at work. Keep up the good work!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8346441

I'm applauding, nurse!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 3, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8346552

Joins in with applause for both ladies, Huck and Nurse. It takes a lot of self discipline to diet and exercise. It has been a down fall of mine all of my life and thus I have always carried around a few extra pounds with me.

Due to some medication changes last spring, I too am losing some poundage. I have noticed this week that I may have to change my underwear size for a smaller one. I kept tugging at the ones I had on one day thinking the elastic was shot, but upon inspection, it must be the weight loss showing. Yippie!!! New undies. Doesn't take much to make me happy as you can see. Actually having to buy something new in a smaller size versus something new in a larger size feels good too.

Keep at it girls!!!

Ruby

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8346827

Good for you, Ruby. It's a good feeling to lose any weight at all.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8352219

Good for you ALL! I have a lot of body-clutter to get rid of...I need to get on the bandwagon!
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 3, 2011

Post #8352490

Bad day for body decluttering. I usually go to bed between 1-2 AM (get home from work around 11), and get up between 9-10 AM. This morning I slept until noon! I guess I needed it, it's been a stressful week, but it really messed with my plans. I got up, washed and put on my uniform, because I needed to go to the store before work. Hated not doing the treadmill, but I did walk a lot at the store, and I ate healthy. Purchase bag or mints for in my candy dish at work. I like them, but am not crazy about them, so I think I won't eat many. Will set my phone alarm for in the morning, just in case. Don't want to miss 2 days.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8355003

Great job ladies!! I applaud you for the great job you are doing. I lost 14 lbs being so sick in Oct and Nov. I am not really trying to lose anymore but am trying to keep this off. I could afford to lose more but always gained back more than I lost. I decided years ago it is more important to have a sound mind than to end up weighing 300 lbs. But this is for me and not trying to sell anyone else on it.
Still working on decluttering. I sure am growing weary doing it. The kids will be moving in Starting Wed. They want to do it little by little. Instead of all in 1 day.
We had the carpet cleaned yesterday and it looks great. Wish I had tile or wood floors but that will be a dream for a long while.

Have a Great day everyone.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 5, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8355181

Sandy, I encourage you to put the de-cluttering on the back burner for a bit. That way you can be involved in some things that you might find more pleasant and satisfying. Take a week or so off and enjoy your new room mates for a bit. It sounds as though you have worked your hiney off recently and if they are able to move it, you must have gotten rid of the most of it already.

John and I have been under a time restraint and needed to do as much as we did in the little time we did it in because the auction has a deadline. So, after about one more load we will most likely settle down a bit and not have to rush any longer. I have set aside the things I still want to go through that will take a bit of time and are things I don't want going to auction anyway. I found lots of loose recipes belonging to my deceased mother this week and want to be able to go through them at a leisurely pace versus quickly like I have been working until this point.

Nurse, same for you honey. Missing a day of exercise here and there isn't going to make or break you. Don't feel too badly, living life is necessary too. Yes, it can be easy to let a couple days slide but you probably know as well as the rest of us that the more you miss the routine, the harder it will be to get back at it. I know that you can do this and I will be rooting you along.

Please remember to be involved with us too. Please keep chatting with us in your routine. I always love reading about all that you have going on and find that you are leading an interesting life. Hey who knows, maybe I can get you involved in some Mid Atlantic Gardening plant swaps on down the road. We have a great time usually twice a year getting together to share the extras we have in our gardens. Much of my gardens have come from other Dave's members that I have met over the six or so years I have been involved. The mid atlantic gardening group has quite a few Pennsylvania members. Give it some though and if you have any questions, let me know.

A message for all...have a great weekend and enjoy the game tomorrow if that is how you will be spending your evening. Hope your team wins.

Ruby
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8356280

Thanks Ruby I think I will take some time off. I did work on the pantry today but did it at a slow pace. All we need to do in there is to decide where things are going to go. It is a very nice size pantry as before we bought the house in 1989 the guy converted the utility room into a pantry and put the utility room in the garage. I am glad I don't need much laundry washed as it is too cold out there.

I have a sinus headache from all the dust elephants (not dust bunnies but they reproduce like bunnies LOL)

I am going to take some ibuprofen and head to bed. I may kick back tomorrow and take it slow and easy.

Sweet Dreams everyone.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 5, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8356503

Take it easy Sandy, you'll get there.
Did the tread mill 4 out of 5 days this month! Trying to take it easy. I put on a DVD, presently I am watching season 3 of Barney Miller (I love old sit-coms), and just walk as I watch. I am trying to hold myself to just 30 minutes for now. I don't overdo or I won't keep it up. I have done some jogging along with the walking. I jogged 6 minutes today, which may mot seem like much, but it's a start. I am really surprised to see how much less I can do now then just a few years ago. Guess that just proves to me, that I really need to exercise.
Ruby, I really havn't done much gardening. I did a web search for decluttering and ended up here. I used to have a lot of house plants and did some gardening when I was young, but I have horrible light for plants at my house. I do have a really strange flowerbed out front. It has a roof over it, which means you have to either plant plants that like it dry or remember to water it. I use to plant it every year and really enjoyed it because the elderly lady that lived 2 doors down would always come out and talk to me hile I worked. She had dementia, and always told you the same stories, but I really enjoyed her company. She died 2 years ago and I have not really felt like messing with the flowerbed since. However, I really feel it is time to reclaim it, so maybe I will get some good info here on what to do with it.
The is one interesting thing about it. I have glads that come up every year. I never planted them, and they are suppose to be dug up in the winter, but the first one appeared about 4 years ago and every year there are more of them. This year there was even 2 different colors. the neat thing about it is, my father, who died when I was 17, loved to garden and loved glads, he always planted a whole patch of them every spring, and had lots of different colors. I chose to believe he sent me these flowers, but my husband insists a squirrel probably carried the bulb from somewhere else (but what does he know, lol)
Ruby, I would love to check out a plant swap, just for the experience. I really don't think I have anything to swap, but I would like to see how it works.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8356545

You are doing great! I like your idea of putting something you don't like much in your snack dish. I had a thought of putting cereal in the snack dish. Something healthy and tasty, but not too delicious, if you know what I mean.
I used to watch Barney Miller when it was on originally. I had forgotten about it. That was a good show. Abe Vigoda.

I think your Dad is sprinkling glads in your bed. I once found the "larder" in a gopher's tunnel. It had a variety of little bulbs and tubers stashed in a sidepocket of the tunnel. It is amazing to see where the daffodils will be moved to next by the wildlife around here.

I am still getting in my daily exercise and watching what and how much passes the lips. Clothes are more comfortable. No dramatic changes yet though.

Keep plugging along, everyone!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8363704

weighed today, no change, still 159. i am happy to be maintaining and not gaining. still getting my daily exercise. i caved in to the siren song of the christmas cookies and brownies i had put in the freezer. today we ate the last morsels. i hope i won't acquire too many goodies for valentine's day. i have been trying to eat fuji apples for my afternoon treat, as i enjoy them every bit as much as cookies. but somehow, those frozen brownies won out. and yes, i ate them while they were still frozen, even on the cold days!
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 9, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8363729

Huck, I perfer brownies and chocolate chip cookies frozen. I think it is because my older sister would start baking Christmas cookies in november and freeze them until Christmas. I use to sneak them, and thus aquired a taste for frozen cookies.
I've only lost 2 pounds so far, but I am thinking I need to do some measuring. I expect I may see more loss of inches then pounds.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 11, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8366067

Go girls go. I have heard that the slower weight comes off, the more likely it is to stay off. So, don't fret.

How interesting that searching for clutter topics brought you to Dave's Garden. I got here by researching vacuums some years back. It immediately became my most visited web site and has served me very well. As I mentioned I have probably met about thirty or forty of Dave's members, mainly folks who chat on the Mid Atlantic Gardeners forum. Hey Tracey, the plant swaps are organized in order for folks with too many of one sort of plant to share with others who would like to have them. Much of my garden has come from others hard work. We aslo tend to take and share a lot of things too. You can do a whole garden by attending one of the swaps. When I hear of one being planned, I will keep you updated.

Oh, my very favorite flower is a Gladiolus. Some years mine are so lovely and other years they don't look as well. Next time I am going through my collection of photos, I will post a couple of the vases that I put on my dining table when they are in season.

The weekend is at hand. I hope that you both have a good one.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8369119

nurse, I am thrilled at your 2lb loss! yes, at some point the loss will slow or we will even gain if our muscles develop. but it isn't about the scale. it is about comfort. i get so hot in the summer, that layer of fat feels like i am wearing a parka i can't remove. i am looking forward to my first summer in 14 yrs without that parka.;-)

ruby, the area i live in was a gladiolus growing region in the 1920's. i have a gorgeous one that is light lemon yellow with a peachy ruffle. i don't know what it is named. i call it peachy keen.

i have been back on track today. raked the garden beds by the front porch while listening to the Prairie Home Companion radio show. gorgeous and warm today, i was sweating! rode my bike out to get the mail.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8369390

You are doing very well, Huck. You have my admiration. Love the peachy keen name! Loved the monologue on Prairie last night - the man in the fish house, sans some clothes, with an open Playboy, was hysterical.

Ruby - if you're awake now, 8:10 AM, turn on your radio to Mark Viette on his show, Easy Gardening. We get it on 710 on the AM dial. He's very good and lives in Virginia. He took the place of the sweet, late, Ralph Snodsmith.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 13, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8369544

Hi Arlene - We live a very short distance from Viette's nursery. I have never visited but have ridden by and seen some of their beautiful Day Lilies growing in front of their home which is close to the main road. My parent in laws were big in to Day Lilies and visited his place very often.

My hubby who inherited many of his folks Day Lilies when they sold their home has visited the nursery and bought a few of their offerings in the past. He has been in contact with a daughter in law on several occasions when he had questions about some of the plants.

Viette's Nursery has a large Day Lily Festival that runs two weekends in July which brings in visitors from far and wide. They hold seminars during the festival and John attended a couple of those when he visited during the festival. They are a very well respected family in the area.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 13, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8369551

I call this picture of our place Day Lily Hill. We have over seven hundred Day Lilies and most were transferred from John's home place which was sold a few years back.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8369563

Beautiful!

It's a show where people can call in with questions on plants, Ruby.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 13, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8369608

Oh yeah, even though I have never listened to it, I know they did it. Actually they do a program on local TV at times too. My sister in law always tunes in to their programs and I have only caught one of the TV shows by accident. They are very willing to help other which is such a great thing.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8370744

Spring is in the air here, too. I no longer dread looking at the seven day forcast as the general trent is clear...just like your posts, the general trend is clear that there will be a lot less clutter of all sorts as spring unfolds in our lives.

I love listening to Prairie Home! Garrison has such a marvelous gift to tune us to what's extraordinary in the mundane, and leaves me feelin "God's in the heavens, All's right with the world"

Wonder what the "news" from Lake Woebegone would be each week if we all were among the characters? In my mind, as I read through these threads, you ech become "characters" that I enjoy hearing about and visiting with. It is not the 'drama' that keeps me here, but the on going stories and character developement. Thank you one and all.!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8370747

Huck, you posted a link some where to Karen Lingston who works with Feng Shui and space clearing. In checking her site this week I found her latest post about clothes de-cluttering. She had a color consult and decluttered her closets culling out by not or no longer good colors for her. Interesting way of proceeding rather than by size, style, fit or utilty.

You can read her article here :

http://www.spaceclearing.com/html/blog/2011/02/10/how-to-clutter-clear-your-clothes-with-confidence/
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8370757

ok pals, if you are going to hijack this space to gab about daylilies and radio shows, you will have to lose an ounce or shed some excess clothing. dues must be paid!

i loved the poem about Bemidgi, Minnesota on PHC (Bemidgi, refridgerated city). we got to see the live show this summer. my cheeks hurt from smiling. ;-)

i am going to visit the folks and take in the lunar new year parade in san francisco this sat. got out a few clothes to pack, ended up going thru drawers,etc. i am able to comfortably wear things that have been on hold for years. feels sooo nice

ok, who's next!?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8371040

Cole - I could be the Arlene of Arlene and Clarence Bunson! I wouldn't mind at all.

pirl/Arlene
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 14, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8371185

Oh my gosh...you have stumped me yet again Arlene. Who is Arlene and Clarence Bunson?

Cole, you have such a delightful way of looking at things. You truly look for meaning in things and I love hearing your take on different subjects. Thank you so much for posting your thoughts. They always give me another way of looking at things.

Speaking of DRAMA, yes it happens even at Dave's. I too like the light and airy chats versus the oh woe is me, life is terrible, life isn't fair, why me and all other sorts of moans and groans. I don't hear that much on the clutter board at all. Thankfully, most of the folks that are regulars on the clutter boards seem to get along pretty well.

I know that being associated with Dave's over the years has served me very well. When I first joined about six years ago I was facing some major health issues and being able to come here and talk about how I was feeling was a God send and pulled me through some very low times.

Some of my husbands and my best times over the same years has been attending Plant Swaps that groups at Dave's have organized. I have had the great privilege of meeting quite a few of Dave's members in person and much of my gardens have originated at other member's homes.

The theme of my life for at least six months now has been of de-cluttering. I have relied on the chats with all you folks to help keep me focused and motivated. I too look forward to hearing what others are doing in their homes and have received a good education as to how to properly address some of the issues that have baffled me in past years.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each of you who posts here. I have learned from all of you and have enjoyed getting to know you all better. Here is hoping that the upcoming week will be productive as well as pleasant for us all.

Ruby

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8371546

Arlene and Clarence are Lake Woebegone characters, Ruby.

I agree with you about DG, Ruby. I became a member 6 years ago today and subscribed in the spring of 2006. The way we can all share our clutter (and other) problems makes it easy to admit many of us have clutter issues and when we delete anything I feel we're all sharing the glee.

Today Jack looked at the end of the major hall closet and said he'll try on some of those ancient suits and jackets from his banking days and donate them. Score! That will be my next closet decluttering.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8374498

That is wonderful, Arlene! I hope he will get a good feeling from both decluttering and donating.

I indulged in honor of Valentine's. 3 lovely glasses of wine and a generous slice of chocolate decadence cake. Also some cookies and choc. kisses at the movie. Saw "The King's Speech", very good flick.
I noticed on my run yesterday that my old bra is not supportive anymore, so I laid it in the fire. I am sitting here in sweatpants and DH's tattered t-shirt. They also are going to be fed into the fire tonight. I am destroying the old so the new can emerge.
Packing clothes for this trip is not yet a joy, but not as depressing as in the past. I am trying to keep things simple.
Keep up the good works everyone! I plan to return rich with experiences, not stuff!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8374971

Way to go, huck!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8376136

Huck, I seldom post but I lurk all the time. I am sooo proud for you. Don't make yourself miserable but every little bit helps. I am into the Eat This, Not That and have lost 28 pounds in the last year. At 4'11" it has made a huge difference. Still need to take off another 20 but I will do it the same as before, a little at a time.

Have a great trip. Been to SF twice and 100 times more wouldn't be enough.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8376384

Huck, love the image of bra burning . Burned a few back in the day myself. Fire is so transformative. I'm jealous of you all with wood stoves or fireplaces!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 17, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8377141

Another trip for Huck. You do keep busy there girl. Feels like ages since I have been away from home. Did visit Pirl's favorite place last September, Cape Cod Mass. We love it there also. Both of us were feeling poorly with bad coughs at the time, so it wasn't one of our better trips. Maybe the next one will be better for us.

I suppose SF stands for San Francisco. Gosh, not even sure I spelled it correctly. As for probably ever visiting west of Texas again, I probably won't ever get to visit those areas that I have often thought of and wondered what a visit would be like. I can envision some of the places and of course pictures, television and Internet make it possible for me to visit any of those areas at least in my mind. hahaha Hope you have a great time Huck.

Great going on the weight loss Lou. Gosh, you are a shorty. This is coming from someone who is over five foot tall, but certainly not by much. I have never been within the insurance guidelines for weight and height. I have come as close as about five pounds, but am destined to always carry around a little more than they say is healthy. I have dieted in years past, but am not a very disciplined soul it seems. I never liked the idea much at all. hahaha

Good going to everyone who is slimming down. I am sure you feel a lot b e tter with the excess pounds leaving.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8396955

I'm back. Yes, SF stands for San Francisco, tho it could mean Santa Fe or San Fernando or South Filly even. It is my city. I was born and raised in the country north of SF, but we often drove the 60 miles to do something special in town. I attended two vocational schools there (Massage and Bartending), couch-surfed, hung out on the beaches by day and snuck in to dance floors at night. I once walked the entire lenghth of the city east to west, just on a whim. Burned out a brand new pair of sandals that day. I want to do that again. If I keep getting in shape I should be able to. Just need to find a day to do it myself. Don't know anyone else who would want to!
The first 3 days of my trip were spent with my parents. Dad finally agreed to installing a new furnace. It may be California, but their house was like a morgue. Chilly! Then we spent the 3 day weekend in SF, attending the Chinese New Year parade in a cold rain. Then we moved on to Reno, NV, where we celebrated DD's 35th B-day. Yes, it was a wonderful, action-packed week. But it turned trajic the moment we turned into our driveway. Our precious kitty was dead, hit by a car. Some kind soul had moved him out of the road and placed him on our driveway. It must have happened an hour before we returned. I buried him between his dog friends in our little pet cemetary under the lilacs. I wanted to cry a river of tears but I couldn't. I was too sad at the fact of losing him and too mad at myself for letting him roam. I really struggle with this. Freedom is important to me, though it comes with the risk of death, and a brutal death at that. I need a cat to hunt the mice in the henhouse, and keep the gophers in the garden in check. I had him neutered in the hope it would keep him from roaming. I had a neighbor checking in on things. But in the end, he wasn't safe. He was 12 yrs old, he was starting to get tuna breath as his teeth were beginning to get bad. He lived a wonderful life. He was the most affectionate cat I have ever known. I had that feeling that I would never be happy again. I have never felt this sad before. I feel bad for the person who hit him. I don't think it was intentional, tho I wasn't born yesterday and know there are sadistic people in this world. I was going to put a sign out there saying "Thank You" to the person who pulled him off the road, but I thought it may look like I was thanking someone for running him over, or being sarcastic. So all I could do was bury him, and second guess the whole affair. We will get cats again, the shelters are crawling with cats who need good homes. I flinch at the "good" part tho. Did I provide a good home? Or did I neglect my responsibilities? I wish there was a way to have both freedom and safety. Am I missing something here (other than my precious companion)?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 28, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8397565

Oh my gosh...I truly feel your pain sweetie. I lost my almost fourteen year old companion last August and I do understand feeling like the world had ended. We didn't lose Lucky our mixed Shepherd due to an accident such as happened to your kitty, but we had to let him go because it was time when he could no longer get around without it looking painful for him.

Huckleberry...I wish I knew the right words to ease your mind and heart. I do know that feeling guilty and shameful for some supposed act will get you no where fast, and while going there experience a lot of unnecessary misery. Stop now, I am sure if you could have asked the kitty how he preferred to spend his last days, he would have told you that he preferred the way you chose for him by allowing him to roam. If he had been caged up or house bound during your trip away he would have been miserable.

After spending a day of shedding some of the most felt tears I ever shed the day after Lucky died, I had to come to a place in my mind where I could live without further experiencing the pure grief I experienced that day. What helped me to come to a place where I could think of Lucky in terms of all the good he had brought me, and all the good I had brought him...I was able to begin remembering him with a smile instead of a tear.

I have worked very hard over the years in battling debilitating depression at times. For some years now, I haven't had the nasty visitor too many times. For the most part I can say that I am very blessed in many areas and that the areas that are less than ideal, I am working on. The day I experienced such utter hopelessness and sadness was old behavior for me and very, very uncomfortable. I knew I couldn't spend too long doing that.

The thought that came to my mind...and I truly hope that you can find some memory or new realization in regards to your kitty to release the sadness you feel and that you can begin paying honor to him and all that he was. I know in my heart that Lucky came to me at a time when I was experiencing the most heartbreaking time in my life. I always felt that he came along just in time to give me something to love, and for something to love me. I remembered that he did a very good job of pulling me out of the zombie like depression I was in at the time. I just couldn't remain depressed when he was serving as the entertainment committee.

The day I grieved so horribly I thought of the purpose I felt he was on earth for and if that indeed was his purpose for those years, how sad he would be that I was so hurt and saddened on his behalf. I was able to let go of the grief and not break down every few minutes in tears. I was able to walk through the following weeks and yes indeed miss him and the presence he had been within our family...but I was able to move to an emotional place of acceptance and gratitude for the years he was with me. I told someone recently how these days whenever he comes to mind I try to remember to say a prayer of thanksgiving for the years I was blessed by having him in my life.

Believe me, at the time this was going on I had loads and loads of support from folks I was close with on Facebook and I also accessed a website called Rainbow Bridge that is a site for others grieving over the special losses of a pet.

I know I ramble so much of the time and write long, long posts but please know that I wish I were there to somehow ease your current pain. It will ease, it does hurt but you need to please stop second guessing your decision to let him run freely (I like that term better than roam) while you were away. He would have been miserable caged and you know it. The guilty feelings bring nothing good to the situation and I hope that you will soon be able to let that go and begin thinking of the many, many ways you provided a wonderful life for this kitty. Oh my gosh...talk of kitty heaven...the mice catcher in a hen house, he couldn't have asked for a better life.

Grief is different for everyone...you will go through the process at your own pace. Anger is a part of it, but lets see if you can work on taking that anger and directing it towards something other than yourself. We love you honey. Check out rainbow bridge, the folks there are going through the same thing you are currently and you may be able to help each other.

Please feel free to share whatever and whenever you can. I feel about as inadequate as I have ever felt before. Hugs to you.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8398448

Thank you, Ruby, for your comforting words. I appreciate the heart and effort you put in to your posts. No need to apologise to me for length or content. I need to hear it all!

I attended the memorial service for a family member and it was all geared toward this organization, Rainbow Bridge. The deceased had been an active member and bequeathed some of his estate to them. I will do as you suggested and try it. I am feeling better now. Poppi was a real snuggler and I miss our routines. He was usally on my lap as I read and wrote these posts on DG. In a sense, he knew you all.

I think I had better return to the subject of this thread. Losing weight and weeding out the larger sized clothing. I bought a nice pair of pants that fit and go with several items I have. They will soon be too large for me (if I stay on the shape-up path) and I worry I will stop losing weight just so I can wear these new pants I like so well. I have been yo-yoing. Lost 4lbs before Valentine's, gained 2 back, lost 4 again and gained the 4 back with my trip to SF. Too many holidays and indulgences. I have been getting my 20 minutes of cardio every day. I have been keeping my caffeine intake low. I consciously abstained from emotional overeating at the loss of my pet. Thus far, anyhow. In the past I chowed down many snacks feeling bad over the loss of a pet.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 3, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8404118

Awww...I like the idea of Poppi knowing us gals. I am sure your lap feels empty but it will pass after a while. You are making great progress and the fact that you haven't eaten at your emotions over the loss is great. Girl, I can just see you all shiny and spiffy in those new pants. You go girl!!!! Heck just buy another pair of the same pant in a size smaller.

Anyway...you are doing a great job handling all that you are. So happy to see you posting again. You are missed whenever you are away.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2011
1:25 AM

Post #8405802

Ah, Huckelberry, I am so sorry for your loss. I am mourning the empty space in your lap.

I am so proud of you for not 'emotion-eating'!!! I need to get a handle on that, too. I just realized that I do that a lot.

Someone, somewhere in your town can alter those pants to fit you perfectly as you drop sizes. It cost my buddy 10-15 bucks each time she got hers done, but a great pair of pants is worth it's weight in gold, so it is worth getting altered. Unless you can find them again and buy them in the smaller size.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 4, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8406092

I like your idea of having them altered to fit Juney. Duh, why didn't I think of that? As many "What Not To Wear" shows that I watch, I should know that by now. I suppose that being someone who spends the majority of my time in my sleeping attire, I don't give a lot of thought to my wardrobe. My bad.

Oh gosh, one of these days I might once again become more interested in clothing than I am currently. I spend most of my time in the house and the nighties I wear are the most comfortable clothes I own...so this is me.

Happy upcoming weekend. Ya'll dress perty now, ya hear?

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8407527

I am wearing my prettiest jammies right now! As I rarely leave the house, I wear pajamas too.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 5, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8408344

Oh good...I am in good company then. Last year or the year before probably I found something I have grown to love at KMart. They are womens thermal underwear. They look a bit like spandex, but have a much looser fit. I purchased the long pj pants and the long sleeve shirts. I have three or four ses of them and at bed time put them on to sleep in. I love them but they are getting a bit ratty from all the washing they have been through.

Guess I ought to see if I can get them online still. Maybe they will be reduced to a crazy low price. I can wish, can't I? I thought they were Joe Boxer brand but they are called Chill Chasers. They come in black, white and pink I think. I only own black ones.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8415677

i luv time spent in jammies. the pants i got are one-of-a-kind (thrift store), and now that the "bloom is off the rose" i don't mind if i do get too skinny to wear them. just wished i'd had them when i really needed them, +10lbs ago.
i am going on a trip again. mom has bad back pain and i am going to see if i can be of help. no computer there, so i will not be able to catch up to all the new posts and threads. i am nearing my 3rd year on DG. that means i have been attempting to declutter for two years now. i have done LOTS of sorting and shuffling, some selling and some abstaining. i have not accomplished what i wanted...yet. i will, though. had more stuff than i realised.

i have been plugging along with the weight loss. exercising every day, i'm afraid of not getting my 20 minutes minimum per day. making slow, steady progress on smaller portions, healthy snacks and almost no pre-packaged food. i am trying many new foods to keep my interest up. boredom has been a real problem for me in the past, so i am trying to keep myself engaged. i am actually enjoying this, as i am using my menopause as my excuse to implement these changes.
i have a pile of clothing that is too large for me now. yippee!
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8415726

Good going Huckleberry, I need to follow your example on the exercising and eating healthier.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 9, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8416406

Bravo Miss Huck. I hope that your magic hands will give your mom some relief. Oh how I wish a family membe was trained in massage and was willing to share their talent. It has been ages since I have had a massage and I miss them.

I saw someone yesterday whom I hadn't seen for several years. She commented on my weight loss. No one else other than John, my hubby has said a word. I have lost in the neighborhood of about twenty pounds this past year. I am not buying a new wardrobe yet, but the pants are less snug. I can lose thirty or forty pounds and still use the same clothes for the most part. Don't know if that is good or bad. It just is.

Anyway...see you when you return or you could take a time out and visit the closest Library and get online for a bit and visit with us. I have been known to do that in the past when I didn't have Internet access at home.

Be safe and we will see you soon.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 28, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8456428

Hi Huckleberry...whenever you return home from your folks place. It has been quiet with out you. When you get back please let us know how the weight plan is coming along. There is another member on one of the other threads that I am going to refer to this thread. She might get some good insight from your sort of journaling here.

Welcome home!!!

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8546966

hello again. i think i am back now. my sister's husband died and i have been helping her. i will post more about my experiences once the shock has subsided. i feel protective of her and don't want to blab the intimate details online. lots of excess clothing and clutter issues with her as well. genetic? we vote yes.

i have been getting my 20 minutes of cardio nearly every day. i began doing this exercize dec. 1, 2010. 5 months later, i feel much better, stronger and more able. a strange thing, however, i am exactly as winded each time i exercize as i was the time before. i have not "improved' with repetition. perhaps this is what happens as i age. i am happy simply to be able to jog, after so many years of relaxing. i still go easy, to avoid injury. that has worked well. i have not missed a day due to discomfort.

the weight still hovers around 160. i was 157 before i made my first pot of whole wheat spaghetti carbonarra. i ate 2 portions immediately. oops!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 8, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8547518

Again, so good to hear from you and have you back at home. I am so very sorry to hear of your brother in law's death. Yes, fill us in later if you feel like doing so. Good going on strengthening and growing your body healthier. Such discipline you are exhibiting.

Interesting that your sister also has the collecting bug, same as yourself. How cool that you were able to spend time with her and help do some organizing. I am sure that she was grateful for your presence during this hard time as well as for the work you helped with.

Thanks for the update on your goings ons.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 8, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8547520

Again, so good to hear from you and have you back at home. I am so very sorry to hear of your brother in law's death. Yes, fill us in later if you feel like doing so. Good going on strengthening and growing your body healthier. Such discipline you are exhibiting.

Interesting that your sister also has the collecting bug, same as yourself. How cool that you were able to spend time with her and help do some organizing. I am sure that she was grateful for your presence during this hard time as well as for the work you helped with.

Thanks for the update on your goings ons.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8573070

Thanks, Ruby. I am sorry I bailed out on this thread. Many things have been happening in my life and I have not caught up yet. Maybe I never will.

My sister had been working and caring for her severly ill husband for a long time. She had not done anything for herself. After he died, I took her to my consignment store and made her pick out some things for herself. She did great! We had a good time. Then we took a trip to see the family for our father's 87th b-day. She was like a new person. I was really glad I had that credit built up at the consignment shop. All that agony I went thru cleaning and fussing over the clothing I consigned ended up being so well worth it. And no, she did not pick out anything I had brought in, as I am several sizes larger than she.

A funny thing has happened to me. I got a turtleneck sweater at a thrift store for 79 cents. I am not supposed to wear turtlenecks as I have a shortish neck and a round face. I loved the colors of this sweater and had to have it. When I tried it on at home it looked fabulous on me. I found I have the perfect corduroy jeans to go with it, and the perfect pair of shoes also. In fact, it is the Kevin Bacon of sweaters. It the missing link in my wardrobe. This one sweater has allowed me to let go of many other things. I guess this is what I was holding out for, what had kept me stalled was the fact that I didn't have anything that was just right. Comfort, Color, Style, and affordable too. Whoopee!

I am maintaining my weight. Getting my 20 mins. of vigorous exercise daily, eating interesting food so I don't overeat due to boredom. Have had strawberry shortcake for breakfast several times this season. Grapefruit and asparagus salad with Japanese plum vinegar. I may not be losing weight, but I am really enjoying myself. Purr =^..^=

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8576832

You go girl!
Sidney,
Professional lurker
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 1, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8601015

Hi Huck - It is always good to hear from you. What a great story about gifting your sis with some new clothes. I am sure it made her very happy. What a chore she must have had for a long time while dealing with an ill loved one. I am so glad that you have been able to be there for her.

Great news on you finding a perfect sweater. I know that whenever I am dressed nicely and the clothes are comfortable, I always have a better attitude about life in general. Keep up the good work with the exercising. You have been at it for a good while, and that is really important.

Welcome sugarweed. I hope that you will post at some point and let us get to know you better. Are you dealing with excessive clothing issues?

Hello to any other readers.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 22, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8709245

Okay, dropping by to say hello to many of you who I haven't heard from in a while. Earlier in the week I changed over my winter jammies to summer ones and dug out my shorts and sleeveless shirts. This required making room in my dresser to store the summer things and basically just bagging up winter things to sit in closet til cold weather hits again.

I don't really have too many items of clothing that I can get rid of. Yes, there are items in there that I have never worn ad probably never will. I suppose if I spent more time on my appearance the way I used to when going out to a job each day, I would probably wear more of the things I have. I find that I can get by with very few clothes.

I believe always having carried around a few extra pounds make me self conscience of the way I look and I don't like drawing attention to myself. I see many others who also have some extra weight on them and if a person tries, they can look attractive at any weight. Just rambling in thoughts here. Maybe I am concerned about the issue because today is a day I have spent the whole day in my gown and not ever dressed which is something I have begun trying to do lately.

Anyway...if we have any readers, drop in and say hello.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8768629

My apologies for abandoning this thread. Life events got in the way, some of which are peculiar to hoarders. More about that later.
The good news is I have also been very busy losing weight. I have lost 10 lbs. I have 5 more to go and then I will be on a maintenance program for the rest of my existence. I say that because I have had to come to terms with the fact that I have a very lusty appetite. No point pretending I have the ability to starve myself.
As for clothing loss, I have been too busy processing apples to go thru my clothing. DH keeps pulling the seat of my now-baggy pants and asking me what I did with my derriere.

I'm hoping that posting again will boost me to return to my mess. I hope you are all having success in your battles with bulges.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 21, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8768733

Way to go Huck on the weight loss. I have a good feeling that now you have proved that you are disciplined enough to win the battle of the bulge with your physical being, that your future attempts to work on your living environment will also be successful for you. You have set priorities, getting the weight off your body was the most important. Think how much easier de-cluttering will be without lugging around the extra pounds.

My husband often quotes a Grateful Dead song...All good things, in all good time. Issues we have allowed to get out of hand, won't be corrected over night with all the wishing in the world. It takes good hard work and often circumstances do not allow us to dive right in head first. It took me months and years to come to a point where I was ready to get rid of some things. I still squirreled away the best things. As I re-think all that I still have left to go elsewhere, I realize a lot more can go...I just haven't been ready before now.

A topic recently was how we have an idea to start a project only to find out that ten or twenty other things are required doing before we can even access the project. A lot of time involved in correcting things that no longer suit us. So easy to let it wait.

Again, now that you have proved that you are able to stick with the discipline needed to lose the weight, hopefully your confidence level about the upcoming de-clutter is stronger. Again, there will hopefully be folks here to support you and you dig through.

Yesterday I did some deep cleaning of things that hadn't been done in months. I thought to myself how nice it would have been to get online and share my accomplishment with the group that used to be here...but alas, I saved it till today to share with you.

Believe me that I understand life getting in the way of things we need to do, I have it happen all the time. Good to see you back though.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8784334

Thank you, Ruby. I hope to be back to my declutter as soon as ol' Jack Frost puts an end to the garden. I will try to be supportive on this forum again as well. I know from personal experience how deflating it is to be bursting with a breakthrough and have no one respond, at least not for a while. Really everyone has been so wonderful. I see others have filled the little space of my absence. Fabulous! =^..^=
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 30, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8784856

Always great to hear from you Huck. I love your sense of fun and lightness about the topic of excessiveness. You have set a very good example for us the readers in terms of you being able to tackle your weight issue and be successful in doing so. Always good to hear success stories, because they give us hope for ourselves.

Other than purses and shoes, I haven't ever really felt I had an issue with clothes hoarding. Since being out of the job market for almost twenty years now, I really don't need a lot of clothing and it just hasn't been that big of an issue for me. I used to love buying shoes and purses. Due to having some walking issues develop over the last few years I now have to be very careful about the shoes I buy. In the past there have been occasions when I have packed up dozens of pairs of shoes and given to either my daughter in law or the lady who used to come and help me clean. The pocket books I still have most of and the evidence is a big blue plastic bin on the floor of my walk in closet that holds the purses. If I were to be totally honest, I probably won't ever use any of them again in this lifetime. Maybe I will begin giving some thought to getting rid of the majority of them because again if the truth be known, I hardly ever use purses any more either. Aaahhh...a light bulb moment. I can probably clear up a good space in the closet by doing something with the majority of the purses. So glad I dropped by and had this enlightening thought today.

Will close but hope to hear more from you Huck as things settle down in your gardening pursuits. Our veggie's produced very poorly this year and has us re-thinking what we might plant next year. Might go back to only growing a crop of potatoes again instead of the time and money spent on the other things which did so poorly. Potatoes are always good and so many different ways to eat. Yummy...have a great day.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8786177

I'm glad you did too! I have 2 dresser drawers full of purses in the guest bedroom. I also have 2 hanging racks in my teensy closet. I should pare down to one drawer and one rack. Let's get to work on this together, whatcha think?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 31, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8787347

Alright, I will be game. I will first of all offer them to my daughter in law. There are lots of females in her family, so the ones she may not want will hopefully be passed to someone who will. I cannot do it tomorrow for sure. How about we check in about this time next week (Wednesday) with a progress report?

Now to make note to do it.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8787934

I like your style. I got as far as taking my bag off the dresser and hanging it on the rack where it is supposed to go. A week to do this sounds good.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 4, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8792928

Hey Huck, went in to my closet for another reason today and was reminded that I had committed to this purse going away gig. If I recover from all the clothes washing I am doing today, I might pull the bin out later today or tomorrow if not today. I made a note regarding this but have lost the note in between a dozen other to do notes. hahaha

Anyway...let's check in mid-week. Please don't feel pressured to do this in case things come up and prevent you from doing it. Heck, same thing may happen here. I believe if I spend the thirty seconds required to pull the bin out of the closet and set it somewhere that I will have to see it often, it will encourage me to do the chore.

I will talk with you soon.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 7, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8797641

Huck, it is now Wednesday. Imagine my surprise upon opening the large plastic bin and finding not purses, but foldable bags of luggage. Phew, thought I was going to have to find homes for several purses and find out that there weren't purses in there to begin with. Since paring down was the aim, I am going to at least take the bin to the storage shed to reside instead of it taking up precious space in my closet. We don't have any immediate plans for travel, so the shed will be home for them for a while at least.

How about you?

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8800080

Good job, Ruby!
I put one ratty T-shirt on the "out" pile, my sole decluttering success this week. I have been picking wild blackberries and huckleberries and watering the garden in my spare moments. I have gone thru one wallet, surprised to find a pen and a store discount card in it. Put it in the consign pile. Made a note to self to call for an appointment with my consignment lady. I have not entered the guest bedroom to tackle the 2 drawers of purses because I am afraid of making a huge mess. I have it clean in there and don't want to mess it up.

I have lost enough weight that my berry picking jeans were dragging. When I switch the clothes to fall/winter, I will go thru and hopefully get rid of some things that are too large. What a great feeling that will be!
Ok, tomorrow I will make that appt. and the momentum and pending deadline should spur me on. Baby steps!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8801297

http://lifehacker.com/5838723/how-do-i-get-rid-of-clothes-clutter

I 'friended' these guys on FB so that I didn't have to go to their site to look for hints/tips/tricks and this came up today. I like the idea of Finding Your Style and working your wardrobe around it. Click on the links and see if you can find some inspiration or decision making help.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8803042

uh oh, it is tomorrow now but too late to call.

thanks, Juney. i will look at this site.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8803045

that is an interesting site. thanks, ms. junebug!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 15, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8810034

Yeah Juney, you send some good websites. It looks very interesting and I will check it out further later on.

Hope that both of you ladies are doing well. The temperatures dropped here this afternoon with a short rain we had. I am sitting here with a flannel shirt on. I haven't brought my houseplants back inside yet and didnt' expect it to be this cool yet. I will just have to say a prayer that they will be okay tonight.

It is almost the weekend, so let me wish each of you a very good one.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8811757

Same here for weather turning suddenly cooler- but no rain for us.

I took a peek at one of the purse drawers and right on top was the last bag I impulse-bought. I had forgotten all about it. I shut the drawer and high tailed it outta there!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 18, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8813264

Hee, hee. Love it girl. Yep, I often peek at jobs to be done and high tail it too. Always leave for tomorrow the things you don't want to address today. hahaha I have found myself going through clothing catalogues that come in the mail. I often go as far as turning down the pages of the things I think I might want to order. Thankfully I have never been much of a clothes horse and it takes a really special something to get my heart racing. It is my birthday time of the year and that is usually when I kind of treat myself to a few articles of clothing.

I do know that since taking over babysitting responsibilties for my grand children, I actually get dressed each day now versus my usual attire of sleeveless short nighties. Heck, who know...there may come a time that I will get to the point of putting on a bit of makeup which is something I haven't done in years and years. A person never knows.

My confession...about two weeks ago when I pulled the large plastic bin out of my closet to check on getting rid of extra purses and finding that there weren't purses in the bin but cloth luggage pieces, the bin has since been sitting in my TV room waiting to be put back in the closet or either to the shed. Now that I think of it, it should go to the shed instead of taking up so much space in my limited space closet.

Anyway Huck...continued good luck with your endeavors. Good going on the weight loss. You have proved that you have it in you to do the things that you deem important. First things first.

Ruby

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8813361

Ruby, good going on getting dressed! A decent, meaningful life cannot be lived in nightgowns. That sad vision has gnawed at me since you first mentioned it.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 19, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8814820

What???? It isn't sad at all. Believe me, my gowns are cute and the man in my life loves them. hahaha He also appreciates the short shorts and tank tops I have lived in this summer too. Not sure what my winter wear will be this year since having a "job" and feeling the need to get dressed. It will probably be a version of sleeveless shirts covered with a flannel shirt that can be taken off when doing strenuous chores and working up a sweat and the lower temperatures will determine whether the legs are covered with long pants or not. The temperatures are low the past few days, so I have pulled out a couple of the long pants that will get a good working out this year. I imagine that after this season and washing them so much they will be fit only as dust cloths and new purchases will be needed before another winter wear.

I do know that name of the game for me is comfort though and I haven't yet found anything quite as comfortable as short sleeveless nighties. Maybe I should start referring to them as lounging clothes.

Ruby
Lee40
Fort Worth, TX

September 19, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8815249

i had a favorite pair of skinny jeans back in 2006/2007...gained a bunch of weight. very depressed. but the jeans were so nice, came from a popular store, and they (used) to fit me like a dream. so i held on to them, telling myself that one day I WILL fit back into them, so i would NOT give them away. it wasn't until the summer of 2010 when i dropped it all. i felt the best i ever did. and guess what...i'm wearing them now ;)
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8815765

Whee! well bingo, you hit the jackpot, Lee! I'm thrilled for you.

I am getting close to trying on some of the skinny clothes I have been hanging on to. I feel that trying to get back to a happy weight is a good thing after all. I have one pound to lose to reach my first goal. Then I will go thru the clothes (again).

Ruby, we consider it a good day around here when we stay in our jammies all day. Keep on smiling, everyone!

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8816945

Oh Ruby, I'm sure you look darling! Thanks for the explanation. I was looking at it from my vantage point, which is that, my wearing pajamas throughout the day more than once would mean that someone had better call the suicide hotline. AND the "Hoarders" people.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 3, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8834275

I always love hearing success stories with weight issues. I have been a chubby all of my life. There have been a few occasions over the years when I was within a pound or two of the ideal weight charts. I tell you one thing for sure...if folks are used to seeing a person with a bit of weight on them and then begin seeing a new and thinner person their first thoughts are that the newly slim are ill. Actually, whenever I would find the scale creeping back up a few pounds, is the time that most folks would compliment me on looking well.

I gave up the weight battle years ago. I have so many other battles, the extra fifteen or twenty pounds I am presently carrying around is way down on my list of to do's. If I were healthier and didn't have so many stresses daily and were twenty years younger, I would probably pay a lot more attention to the scales. These days I feel lucky to be able to get out of the bed and function half way. I have a lot of excuses, don't I?

Over the years I have had occasions when some of the medications I was required to take, Prednisone mainly, would certainly put on poundage in a hurry. On the three or so occasions that I have had to use it long term, I would usually gain a pound a day for the first thirty days of taking it. That is a big jump in weight for sure and quickly too. I haven't weighed in a few months but last time at the doctors my weight was about fifty pounds lighter than some of my periods of using Prednisone which is a steroid.

The funny thing about this, and I know I am opening myself up to criticism, but believe me, when I write things here, I state facts and am not looking for sympathy or pity nor do I appreciate folks pointing out obvious, even to myself short comings...but other than my jeans, even with a fifty pound difference in weight, I am usually able to use the same clothes whatever the weight. I will say it before anyone else says it...either I wear a lot of baggy clothes or I stuff myself in to really tight clothes. hahaha The answer is that I prefer my clothes to be roomy and if I do happen to try on a blouse or slacks that are tight, I am quickly out of them and back on the rack they go.

So, now you all know more about me than you ever wanted to know. Please know Huckleberry that this is the first thread I have written on or read in almost a three week period. Our household has been topsy turvy the past month with all sort of out of the ordinary things occurring. I haven't had time to read any of the threads during this period and have always liked this one and have had a good time being in on your weight success, so I am just chatty this morning.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Monday...take care all.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8834640

Ugh! Prednisone and it's effect on weight! I hate it's side effects, but it is such a lifesaver... It is the reason that I have such a range of sizes in my closet and why I keep some really huge clothes in there: if I get sick again, I will need them and be too sick to shop for replacements. I was absolutely stunned the first time I used it and blew up like a full-body balloon! And then we only lose around 10-15 pounds the week we stop taking it; I have never gotten down to the size that I was when I first needed it.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 4, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8835676

Hi Juney - So you too know the ills of the miracle drug. I too have needed it on several occasions and actually took it seven years daily until fortunately being able to slowly wean off of it. I have only had two occasions in the past ten or so years that I have had to go back on it for any length of time and I too have lots of pictures reminding me of the moon face side effect.

Yes, it is a drug that we seem to have a love/hate relationship with. The first day I was put on it, I was unable to walk due to painful feet until taking the medication, taking a nap, waking up two hours later and able to walk fine. I was convinced this was the drug for me.

Let's hope that neither of us have an occasion to have to use it any time soon.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8836728

It is such a wonder drug...but oh! those side effects! I took it for most of 2 years and have taken it 2 - 6 times a year in the 15 years since then. It really is a miracle when you feel it acting against the inflammation and you realize that you are getting better minute by minute. Powerful stuff! Powerful side effects, too...
The weird weight thing is so odd - my entire family is scrawny - and then there is me - scrawny face, legs and arms with a pillsbury dough boy body. LOL! Fat cell migration is the oddest side effect that I have ever heard of! I was stunned when the Dr. said that the weight shifting was a permanent problem - but he was right...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8838302

I've been the same size since the age of twelve. My clothing falls into two general categories of comfortable/practical and costume. Costume clothing is usually assembled for a special occasion (wedding) or a kind of identity I assume for a while like "chic", "urban". "professional", "arty/eclectic". "hippy", "fade into the background" etc. When I remove the costume, I am me again. Much more to say on this, but,

Thought you all would enjoy a bit of a chuckle this am...Judy

Thumbnail by coleup

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 8, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8840779

Cute Coleup. Funny...just love it. I have often wondered about the swim outfits of the ealier 1900's. Those poor women must have been weighted down by all the excess fabric that went in to the outfits. That really never made sense to me, even considering the times.

Juney...another thing that bothers me when speaking of the side effects of medications. I used to have a lot of doctors visits at a local Medical Center. I could sit in the lobby of the building and watch the people walk by and the majority of the folks were obese. It finally dawned on me one day that most of these folks were probably taking a lot of the medications in which weight gain is a side effect. It was a good reminder to me to not judge others without knowing the facts.

There was a comment made by one of my friends husbands to me that has stuck with me over the years. He wasn't outright ugly or nasty about the weight I happened to be carrying at the time, but his question about me exercising really hit me hard at the time when I basically had no control over the weight gain. In fact, once while on the Prednisone I joined a Women's Gym and watched my weight inch up with each and every visit. i decided that an exercise program and the use of Prednisone were not for me.

Hope you reading are having a good Saturday.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8854814

I'm sorry to hear of your battles with prednisone and the side effect of weight gain. The first motivation for my weight loss was vanity. The second motivation is health. I know it should be the other way around, but I am healthy enough to be vain, I suppose. One thing I would like to know, does the weight gain on prednisone make the inflammation worse? Is it water retention? Is that what caused Jerry Lewis to "puff up" a few years ago? I really feel for you both and hope you will heal.

I have finally met my goal. Lost 30 pounds!! Did it the old-fashioned way, ate less and exercised more. Sometimes I thought it would never happen. I thought my body was hanging on to every ounce. But I just got stubborn and stuck it out.

I have been going through the stockpiled "dream clothes" and am happy to see them fitting, for the most part. All the too large clothes are going to go bye-bye. My body is definitely not the same as it was 10 yrs ago, when I started gaining. Gravity.

I hope you are all doing well.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8854882

Congratulations!!!! I need to "just get stubborn and stick it out" Wow! I am so happy that you beat this!

The prednisone is the only thing that is guaranteed to knock out inflammation so that the cause of it can be dealt with.
Yeah, that was the cause of J Lewis's moon-face & round body with skinny arms and legs. That is what we all look like when we take it for a long time. If it is only a short course; the weight gain is much less and you pee out most of the 12 or so pounds a couple of days after you quit taking it.You might not get the reddish moon face if it is only taken for a short time. If it is a long course of the med; you have all of these bizarre things happening: fat cell migration and multiplication of abdominal fat cells are the most visible. We who have taken it for years have to worry about diabetes and cataracts and a whole host of other odd but common side effects, too.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 21, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8857932

Oh yeah, another lovely possibility with Prednisone is a hunch back. That is one that I feared happening the most. Thankfully it didn't happen while taking it, but these days due to another condition, I walked humped over and crooked, another thing that I always felt sorry for people who walked that way. I often forget what time has done to my body and am at times offended when others point it out to me.

I was one who did develop the cataracts from the medication use. I am basically blind in bright sun or headlights on cars at night. Makes driving dangerous at times. Supposedly the type of cataracts the Prednisone are responsible for are not operable. I have adjusted well enough about twenty years later now. Imagine being told you have cataracts in both eyes in your mid thirties. No fun, for sure.

But, even though there are nasty side effects, it is a great drug to treat the inflammation and the pain caused by the inflammation. I was willing to take it during my most miserable times.

Enjoy your weekend you skinny gals.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8863967

Those rotton side-effects! Reminds me of the saying "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". Bummer. Like I said before, I hope you will have healing, somehow, someway.

Coleup, LOVE the proof of global warming. Thanks for the titters! =^..^=
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8864409

Ruby, after reading about Gita's cataract surgery on the Mid Atlantic forum and her saying repeatedly how how many advances have been made in cataract treatment, I'm wondering if any of those advances might apply to side effect induced ones?

Huckleberry,
I posted that global warming pic here because I knew we "excessive clothing" types could have been the ones supplying almost all of the items on that line!
While my closets don't span sizes, they do span "decades"! My daughter always had a choice of what to wear to the 50's. 60's ,70's or Hippie Days at school.

Hmmmm Half a century of deferred clothing decisions. At least the Hippie clothes don't have to be maintained like some of those dry clean only or starched eras!

I sometimes wonder what people around the world where much of our "donated" clothing goes, sold for bundled weight and purchased for resale would do with a bundle from me?

I do know that jeans are recycled into insulation...

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8865310

Yes, I'll bet some of the clothes make people scratch their heads or giggle.

You have my admiration for staying the same size thru the years. I wish I had stopped myself when I was 5-10 lbs beyond my comfortable weight, instead of 30. I think I bought myself clothes that I wanted to wear (but were too small) as a way of keeping myself in line. Pretty twisted, but I guess it worked somehow. I wore one of those articles of clothing out to dinner last week. I felt wonderful, and like a new person. I had that caterpillar-becomes-a-moth feeling. I guess it was satisfaction.

Jack Frost has put an end to most of the garden. Our camp trailer is full of pears, apples and green tomatoes. Once they are perserved somehow I plan to concentrate on my clothing/fabric messes. My consignment appointment is Friday.

Happy Autumn, everyone!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8869176

Oh yeah...forgot to mention on another thread that I loved the caption you added to your post Coleup. Something along the lines of beating ourselves up over past errs. So fitting and you know me well. I am slowly getting better at being less compulsive about certain things as I am, but still have a ways to go.

I remember when first beginning to get involved about a year or so ago with the clean and clutter free boards the revelation I had. It struck me as being shameful that so many of us have so much excess that we have chat rooms associated with it and the majority of world is lucky to have clean water to drink. What a very spoiled nation we are. Enough said... I could go on, but won't.

I certainly qualify as a member of this group. I have many outfits in my closet that I have never had on. I tend to wear the very same clothes over and over and don't branch out much in terms of change. I suppose one of my favorite compliments comes sometimes from my four year old grand daughter Emily who is already a fashionista...when she comments on my attire. A couple of times she has commented that I looked like a teenager that day. I am not sure that she totally grasps what a teenager is but she sure wants to be one badly. I am thinking if that is what she aspires to be, and she thinks I look like one upon occasion...it is certainly complimentary.

I recently decided I need a pair of black shoes. Much of my wardrobe is black and somehow over the years of my shoe needs changing due to neuropathy issues, I am now lacking a good pair of black shoes. I went through a shoe catalogue last evening twice and came up with the winner. It is a shoe that I already have in red and tan. They are casual, but I suppose I could get away with wearing them with a dress if push comes to shove. Hey, it is a case of push and shove to get me in a dress to begin with, so the shoes will be well worn with my jeans and dress slacks during the times I am so inclined as to actually don a dress slack.

Huckleberry, this thread has been on going and I have enjoyed reading what everyone has to say on the subject. We are all so very different in our thoughts it seems. I am especially proud of your weight loss success and wish you furthe success in maintaining it. Good going girl!!

You folks have a good week coming up, ya hear?

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8874108

Good to hear from you, Ruby. It's hard to get me in a dress too. I wore this one on a dare. ;-)

Well, I think my consignment lady is sick of me and my laundry basket piled high with clothes. She accepted about half of what I brought in. I need to find someone else. I did manage to consign 1 handbag. Baby steps.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8902185

I took 4 pair of shoes and 3 bags of clothing to a community recycle center in our college town. I very lightly rummaged through the area myself and DID NOT TAKE ANYTHING!
PROGRESS!

I am making up a few bags of clothing to donate to the thrift store that aids animals. I shop there when we visit with the kids, so why not donate there also? I just have to make a place in the truck with their annual jams, etc.

I am keeping up my daily exercise. I get cranky now when I can't exercise. Still keeping the weight off. Need to lose that last 5lbs and firm up. It will be ok if I can get thru the holidays just maintaining.

I hope you are all doing well.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 25, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8904924

Thanks for checking in Huckleberry. Way to go with the progress in both not bringing things home, plus maintaining the weight loss. You go girl. Yep, seems that our bodies grow accustomed to what we subject them to and will send messages when we aren't keeping with the program. I am so very proud of the progress you are making.

I hope that you and yours all enjoyed a great and bountiful Thanksgiving Day.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8908490

Hey, Ruby. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

I am comfortable with how I handled myself this year. I moderated my indulgences on Thanksgiving, which was also our 26th anniversary. I found a great pair of dressy clogs (is that an oxymoron?) at a vintage shop, my sole "Black Friday" purchase. There was free wine there, I guzzled one glass at 10am(!) followed by 2 hot buttered rums at the old gold rush hotel where we were married 26 years ago, followed by a Volcano tiki drink before dinner. Now that's what I call moderation. Ha!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 28, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8908806

HAHAHA...yeah baby, I see you really drank in moderation. NOT!!! Ewwww...on the mixtures though. Could you walk that evening? Again, good work on the weight loss and all the good that has come from it.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8908934

lol, I want to see a picture of your "dressy" clogs!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8925748

Ruby, I didn't have to walk as I was floatin' on cloud9! Really I was cloggin' on cloud9.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 21, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #8976343

Well , just found this thread , thanks to RubyW .Don't stop , keep it going .
Lots of great ideas.
Haven't got the clean out bug yet , but I'm closer .
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 21, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #8976452

Digger, I chatted on these Clean and Clutter Free boards for many months before I really got serious and began any sort of major down sizing or de-cluttering. I found the support and encouragement of other members vital in my success of ridding my household of a lot clutter. By the end of a three or so month project, I had sent out gobs of things that before had just been taking up space. At first I was just getting things out the door and most things went to charity thrift shops. At one point I began getting to some more valuable things I arranged to have some of my things auctioned off by piggy backing on a larger auction. I also went through my jewelry boxes and got together broken and old pieces of gold and silver and had a nice little check given to me at a local pawn shop that buys gold and silver. So, what had started as just a desire to de-clutter and feel better about my surroundings became a good financial pay off too.

I am the type that talks about my future plans a lot before usually acting on them. I suppose when I was out of excuses as to why I kept putting off getting started de-cluttering, is when I finally decided the time had come. Again, being in pretty much daily contact with the others on these boards make all the difference in the world for me to stick with it though.

Here I am one year later and a lot of things I wasn't willing to let go of last year have been stored for a year now and I haven't needed or missed one item at all. I am now steering towards starting to pull those bins out and going through them, and seeing if once again I can arrange to have a lot of those things auctioned off maybe or just donated to a worthy cause. Haven't yet decided, and will talk about it endlessly for the next month or so and then the time will come when I jump in feet first and go at it.

Here is wishing you very much success when you decide to get started. Let us know if you have questions or concerns and I could bet that by posting about whatever the issue, there will be folks who have some hints or tips to share about any obstacle you run in to.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #8992811

OK Coleup, here are my dressy clogs. Hope you weren't holding your breath!

Thumbnail by huckleberry6

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 3, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #8993026

I love my clogs and I solved the problem of all those too small clothes that were too expensive to get rid of . I joined Weight Watchers and lost five pounds the first week . I start my second week and look forward to a two pound loss each week .I'm amazed that I can have anything , just not pig out on favorites. Staying away from sugar , (I could live on sweets ) and don't feel denied .
We'll see , it's my first diet ever , and have lots of hope .
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #8993484

Five pounds is a LOT!!! I have faith that you will come to enjoy new ways of eating & will someday look back on your old habits with puzzlement.

This is so exciting! The rewards will help fuel the determination, I'm sure.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 3, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #8993860

Salad for dinner , a touch of ranch dressing and a glob of yogurt . MMMMMMmmm, good !
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9016383

Go, Digger, go! You can do it!

I am still down to my last 5 lbs. Been indulging too much to lose it. I have been snacking again whilst reading, watching t.v., etc. A few times I have sat at the kitchen table, or out in the greenhouse on a sunny day, focusing my attention on my food so I will appreciate it and savor it instead of inhaling it and going for more. My default setting is "inhale food while multi-tasking". I hope to retrain myself to become a savorer instead of an inhaler. I will try to embrace and honor the act and art of eating instead of believeing it is a necessary evil.

I donated 2 bags of clothing to the thrift shop. Progress!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 22, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9016488

Down 14 # so far but got really sick over the weekend. Near phneumonia . Dr said stay off diet until over this .
T V dinner tonight , too sick to cook , and yogurt doesn't sound good .
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 26, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9020566

Great on the weight loss Digger, but so sorry to hear that you are currently ailing. Weight Watchers is a good program. I have used it in the past and had good success. It has been many years now since using it and it does seem that most anything is allowed which is great for us sweets lovers.

I did just the opposite of getting rid of excess clothing yesterday. I went on an on line shopping spree. I will soon be the new owner of lots of tank tops to wear around the house this summer. Wouldn't dare go out in public with one on. I did buy two or three tops that will look nice with slacks or jeans. Having excess clothing is not a real problem for me, it is the accessories such as purses and shoes and such. Oh gosh, don't ask me about jewelry either, because I could open a shop with all that I own. I have jewlery boxes and armoires galore. I was thinking yesterday that I really ought to address my earring collection and see about getting rid of some of them because I generally stick to three or four pair that I wear and the others are just laying around. Not an emergency, so will give it more thought. I do have a daughter in law and a grand daughter who would probably love to have some of the sets I have.

Anyway...as always great to see you posting Huckleberry. Hi there Summerkid...we need to talk lady bug.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 29, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9025326

Hi Ruby! I have a very slow computer and no patience. I have been reading in the evenings, trying to let go of some of my books. I love books, but read them very s l o w l y
as I fall asleep and end up reading the same paragraph over and over again.

Take care, Digger. DH and I are in the midst of a flu. Just got done eating applesauce. Made a big pot of chicken, rice and veg soup. Added ginger, garlic and chili flakes to help combat this flu.

Hope you are all having good days. =^..^= =^..^=
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 1, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9025582

Oh , Huck , I've only wanted soup or chocolate cake and ice cream Haven't cooked in awhile . Gained back 5# , but still below what I started with .
Please take care of yourself and D H .
Added to say " I LOVE OREGON !!!!!!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 4, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9029483

Just a report that last weekend I somehow I suppose in a bored state began doing some summer top shopping on line and on Friday received the booty. I didn't realize that I had ordered so many tops. I didn't count as I put them away, but it is in the teens in the amount. I did very well cost wise and am proud of myself for that. The tags on some the tops that I paid less then ten bucks a piece for were in the twenties and some in the thirty dollar range. I definetely won't need to blouse shop for a while. Already have lots of slack and jeans, so pretty much set now. I also have an assortment of dresses that I bought over the years only to have them hang in the closet and never be worn as of yet. I just find slacks so much easier to wear.

Anyway...I have said in the past that I am not so much of a clothes horse and that a packed closet of clothes has never been much of an issue for me. With the addition of all the new purchases, that is no longer true and I plan to go through the closet later today and get some things together to donate this week. I know of a few things that will be going without even looking. I have at least three still in good shape tops that are not my style, though I have worn them a few times, I really feel that they are just taking up space that could be used for the new things.

This is the third thread I have written to today telling of my afternoon plans to tackle my closet. Again, I cannot get in to the closet because the floor is full of non clothing items that I have just been sitting there over the months due to lack of storage space elsewhere. I am the type of person who needs to talk something to death before I take action. I don't know, I suppose that I need to hold myself accountable to some one or some group in order to feel motivated to take on some of the projects that are presenting themselves.

My master closet and a toy rack that is over flowing both need my attention today, so please think of me when reading this and send motivational vibes my way. All will be greatly appreciated.

So sorry to hear that you and hubby are ailing Huck. Please get well soon. The ingredients in your soup ought to open up some stuffy sinuses. Sounds really good, ill or not.

Keep on keeping on, digger. As you said, you are still ahead of where you were and I find that those five pounds may not always be true weight gain, but often things such as fluid build up and the like. Don't let it get you down. Keep up the good work.

Huckleberry has been such a wonderful inspiration for folks who are trying to diet and work towards a healthier life style. She has done an excellent job for over a year now on weight loss and growing stronger. I am sure that she would admit to some slips here and there also, so just keep at it is the name of game.

You all have a great day and a great week coming up. Stay as wonderful as you already are.

Ruby
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 4, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9030031

Thanks . Ruby . The Dr, told me to eat while on this medicene and I have done that . I have no fear that I won't be back on the loss in a few days .
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9035281

Wow, Ruby, that must have been fun to open a package of dozens of tops. Good luck with the closet organizing. I still have clothing piled in boxes and bags and stuffed in drawers. I am feeling better about it than in the past.

I have lost that last stubborn 5lbs. Fireworks!!! Yippee! I owe it all to flu and lack of appetite. I promised myself if I EVER got down to 140 lbs again I would do my very best to stay there. I just have to remain calm. Don't celebrate with food, find another reward.

Digger, take your meds, get lots of rest and most importantly- fluids. Drink water. I hope you will kick that pneumonia- scary stuff.
Thank you for the compliment about Oregon. The state motto is "She Flies On Her Own Wings" I have not been to Georgia yet, but I love the song as sung by Mr.Ray Charles. Take care.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 9, 2012

Post #9035782

Huck , there is nothing in any state that matches the eastern half of Oregon, from MT Hood to a tiny place called Wiemer , just north of Rouge River . (Maybe far north east California ). I would live there except for my only family is here , in Tex
At 135 , I had a body to die for . At 165, I still turned heads . I lost it all at 200. 200+ now . lol
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 9, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9035908

Huckleberry, it is funny about your goal weight. Back in the day, a million years ago I started weight watchers and remember my goal being 139. I got within five pounds of it during the diet but never stuck with it. So, I can honestly say that I have always been overweight, even if only by five pounds. I was the heavy girl in my class in elementary school. When I began Jr. High, there were more chubbies, so I didn't feel so odd. I have always had a weight issue, which I have figured over the years that a lot of it came from being my mother's daughter.

This many years later with a wiser brain and more experience in life, I see that my mother kind of rode me hard as a child because she too had a tendency to gain weight easily, but she was also the type who would see some pounds adding up, and she immediately took control of diet and exercise and got any of the extra weight off. She always kept a very nice figure all through her life. I also had my dad's genes to contend with and he was overweight all of his life.

Some years back when I began having a lot of other health issues, losing weight was put way back on the burner. I am carrying around about twenty five extra pounds, but I have so much other to contend with during a day's time, that I never give too much thought to it. I have grown in to accepting my body, the good, the bad and the ugly. hahaha

Here is something to chew on. I knew that I had met the world's most wonderful man when he wanted to marry me despite my weight having crept up to almost the 200 lb. mark due to use of Prednisone over many years time. I tell you, I keep the almost twenty year old wedding pictures hidden deep away.

I hope that things are looking up for you in terms of illness Digger. No fun at all. I know that I have watched over the years with medications, even antibiotics have a tendency to make me want to eat. Not sure what the medications do to a person's body, but many of the medications I take have weight gain as a side effect.

Anyway...both of you are an inspiration for me. Good, no great going on the last five hard ones Huck. I knew you could do it.

Ruby
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 10, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9036747

Ruby , your picture shows a trim lady .
This thread for clean and clutter free seems to be a good place to post clutter free bodies . LOL . It's certainly is a way to clear out the extra clutter of extra weight .
I meant to say far northWEST Oregon .
Back to big salads for dinner and lots of greens for snacks .Will drop 5# fast on that , then get back to 2# a week .
I have all those clothes I want to wear and look good . Want to get the blood pressure and cholesterol down , breath better, more energy, walk easier , get up , out of chair easier .
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 10, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9036784

I have great faith in you digger. I know that Huckleberry is a great source of inspiration in terms of downsizing...her body. hahaha

It is strange when folks refer to me as being a good size. Like I say, I believe I was mentally damaged by being the fat girl in school back in the sixties. I sometimes think it odd that what then was considered overweight seems now to be pretty much average for the elementary school age kids. I suppose the studies are correct in assessing todays youth in terms of eating fast food full of steroids used to raise the cattle and such. Most of the kids I grew up with would be regarded as sickly and puny these days.

Anyway...reallyy glad that you are feeling better and are now able to get back on some regular food stuff. Keep up the good work.

Ruby
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 10, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9036953

Thanks , Ruby . My family doesn't even notice if I eat different from them .
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2012
11:03 PM

Post #9043254

Me either. Hubby and I have a "to each his own" food policy. I get our breakfasts every day but Sunday, when he cooks a proper brunch. I typically eat plain oatmeal and 1/2 banana, a hearty veg soup with toasted garlic bread for lunch, my homemade raisins and nuts for snacks, and a meat, starch and sauteed veg or salad for dinner. I try to eat it all before7pm and get to bed by 10-1030. Often, we have tea and a dessert about 4pm. This works well for us. Hubs doesn't like oatmeal without a ton of toppings, so he has the other 1/2 of the banana and toast or cereal for b-fast. He enjoys a hot dog or sandwich for lunch. Loves chips or fries on the side, but has cut back. We eat the same dinner. This has worked well, we have both lost 25lbs since June.

I'll never wear a bikini again-too much bagging and sagging and loose skin from the loss of 35lbs. But I went to Goodwill to buy shorts today , tried 10 pairs and found 3 that fit and I bought them LIKE A NORMAL PERSON would do. I didn't punish myself by refusing to buy anything til I lost weight, and then rebel and buy shoes or scarves. I went in to buy something I needed, bought it and left happy. It feels wonderful. So simple. I had been torturing myself for years with this weight/clothes struggle. It is lovely, being nice to oneself.

Body image. My brother is 15 montths older than me and his nickname for me was "Brute". I was a dare-devil tomboy. Still am to a lesser degree. I jumped out of a second story window on to a carpet pad on the dirt when I was about 12. My brother took photos of me and then tried to extort $2.00 from my savings or he would show the photos of me jumping to our parents. The look on my face made him back down. I still have those photos somewhere. Anyway, that's the kind of kid I was! Solid, as my mother would say. My sister is tiny and had difficulty walking home from school when it was windy. I always felt like a horse in comparison.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 15, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9043795

Your brother was kind . Mine is six years older and I was piano legs or elephant butt .
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2012

Post #9045683

Ouch! I am glad my brother is close to my age (sorry, Mom). I never understood the saying "Sticks and stones may break my boes, but words will never hurt me". Words always hurt me the most. It is hard to forget an insult. Just remember that "Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past".
I hope you are still on track with your weight loss plan.

I shocked myself by weighing in at 139. No wonder I felt weak. I celebrated by raiding the dishwasher-sized box of skinny dream clothes and came up with many that fit and are stylish in a vintage kind of way. At least I think so. A few things are too clingy, I don't like the clingy look anymore.

Best of luck to you all!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 17, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9045841

Still on track
My brud and I are close friends after I grew up and yes , words last a lot longer than physical pain .
I'd be a dried up prune at 139# . Waited too long to get weight under control . 170-80 will suit me fine .
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 19, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9048760

Continued good luck to you both. It does feel great when something fits that didn't previously fit. You girls go!!!

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9088366

This morning I weighed 148. I gained all the weight I lost due to flu + 3lbs just for the heck of it. Dang!

"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
2:33 AM

Post #9088464

Well, but now you know how easily you can lose it once you put your mind to it.
I'll bet that most of it melts right off once you are moving again.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012

Post #9089695

You are right! I had made a crockpot full of giant lima beans with smoked paprika and garlic toast and I pigged out on them for 2 days prior to my wednesday weigh-in at 148. Stuck to my oatmeal and chef's salad yesterday. This morning I was 146.
I suspect I may be pre-diabetic. Too many carbs and I get sluggish (no offense,slugs). I need to keep a better balance. I hope it will be easier to eat light as the weather warms up. Lots of drizzle lately.

When I recovered from flu and was down to 139 lbs, I rewarded myself by trying on everything in my big box of "dream" clothes. Nearly everything fit. It was a bit hard to believe. Over the course of that week, I tried some things on 4 different times to make sure I wasn't kidding myself. I wasn't, many things were actually loose. I wore the pair of white hip-hugger pants I bought last year and could not get past my thighs when I tried to pull them on. I remembered having such a crummy feeling of remorse. I felt I had gone goofy for sure. Well, the fact that I could actually wear them comfortably now has vindicated me. I can trust myself again. This is better than being a healthy weight. =^..^= =^..^=
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 20, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9089989

It'll take another 15# before anyone can see any loss in my "figure" but I'm on my way again . Chopped spinach , (big bag ) , head of lettuce , coupla cups finely cut cabbage , water chestnuts , grated carrots , broccoli , cauliflower , put in fridge and at mealtime I add a little tuna , boiled chicken ,pineapple cut course, roast beef or whatever to my BIG bowl with fat free dressing or cut regular dressing ( depending on the kind )with orange juice , or lo fat buttermilk.I put the salad mix in a vegetable sack or two from the grocery store , keep in the fridge and always have a big meal , with a lot of variations . No bread , or sweets and I'll drop 5# first week , 2 or 2-1/2 # thereafter for a month . Then I take a three or four day break with regular high protein foods , or eat out once or twice. The more smug I feel , the easier it is for me.I have a points plus book from Weight Watchers and try to stick to zero foods or no single food over three points . They allowed me 30 daily points and I usually don't go over 15 . I'm 23# down and twenty to go .
Maybe instead of giving my "too small " clothes away , it will be my " too big " stuff that goes out the door . I won't miss any of them and my closets will be mine again .I've been giving and throwing away stuff from all over the house all week that I don't need anymore . Hugs all , sally
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9092366

That is a great idea to thin salad dressing with something. I love salad. It was 85 degrees today so I had salad for lunch and dinner again. I was craving salty stuff. Mowed the field and was sweating buckets.

Put a pair of capri pants on the "out" pile. Too baggy. :-)
Have a lovely week, everyone.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 22, 2012

Post #9092769

If I keep reading about you girls successes, it might motivate me to address the twenty to thirty extra pounds I am carrying on my very short frame. I do know that in times past when dieting and feeling the proud feelings that accompany weight loss, it is a great feeling. Huckleberry, I understand what you are saying in terms of feeling that you are in much better control of all of your life now that you have addressed and had success with fighting flab. It does give a person a sense of accomplishment and the feeling that you can now go on to address some of the other issues weighing you down. I with both you and Hugger the best of success with the losses.

Ruby
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 22, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9093411

Had Chinese Buffet for lunch . Two days and i'll be back to this mornings weight . I think it just has to go through your system .
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9093713

Chinese buffet is partly how I plumped myself up. ;-D The last one I tried had quartered oranges. They helped me keep my calorie total lower.

Hey Ruby! Nice to "talk" with you again. Seems like a long time. Now that I paid my DG dues, I should show up more. Gotta get my money's worth.
Yes, the best thing about this weight loss is the increase in self-trust. I suppose I will have to fight my ravenousness 'til I keel over, but it is empowering to know that I can do it. Next is my excessive clothing. I hope to have that under control by October. For now I must get to bed. Off to be with Dad for his 88th. That is 120 in hoarder's years.

Keep up the fight ladies!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 23, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9094149

Thanks for the chuckle, huckle. A hundred and twenty in hoarding years...I love it. I have all faith that you will eventually address the excessive clothing and be able to report good success on doing so. You have given a running commentary on the weight loss with all its struggles plus its pay off too. It has been very interesting to be involved in yoru taking the bulls by the horn and getting done what you wanted to do. Continued good successes to you.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9099963

I am keying this on Android ebook. Help!

Back from dads and up to 147. Not bad for 20 hours in car Android family food. Made strawberry shortcakes in lieu of apple pie.

Every time I want to key And it pops in Android. Arg#@0$!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 29, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9102325

Contact us when you return home Huckleberry. hahaha Things could be worse.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9104951

Home. It took me 30 mins to key that post. Eye yi yi!

I have to admit to being bored with the whole weight loss/excess clothing subject sometimes. I get that "change the channel" feeling.

It got hot here, so I was forced to drag out the lighter weight clothes. My old shorts, the ones with strained seems, nearly fell off me as got into my pjs in the evening. That was a new sensation!

I exchanged the heavy autumn and winter wear for the spring and summer stuff. I didn't play with the clothes this time. I was fairly efficient. I made a pile of stuff I need to clean if I want to keep it for next year. The biggest difference was my emotions. Gone was the guilt I felt for being overweight. I didn't feel happy, or relieved. I didn't really feel anything.
I put a few more things on the OUT pile. One was a dull, washed-out purple colored hoodie. I never liked the color. Who knew purple could be depressing? ;-)

Keep on keepin' on, people.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 4, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9109965

You go girl , I'm not doing anything to downsize me , and am staying the same size . I need to change my food and drop another five pounds . I'm doing five at the time , eat , and work on another five . Once a month of salads and green stuff is fast enough for me and I'm doing sooo good .
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9111024

I think we are both doing well. They say losing weight slowly is better than rapid weight loss. I have to agree. I lost 5lbs rapidly due to illness and loss of appetite. Then I gained it all back, +. Now I'm stuck with it again. But a lot of salad and gardening/decluttering/cleaning should help to drop a few.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 6, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9112603

Wishes of good success to you both. Keep on keeping on.

Ruby
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 6, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9112854

Thanks Ruby . We'll see !

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America