Excessive Clothing

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

I have too many clothes. My weight fluctuates, so I have a range of sizes I can wear, plus dream clothes that I could wear if I lose 20-30 pounds. All advice is to get rid of the dream clothes and be realistic about what does fit.
After a year of considering this, I have consigned and donated about half of what I started with. But I still have too much.

Has anyone parted with the skinny jeans and then lost the weight and regretted getting rid of the 20 yr old skinny jeans?

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I never regretted it. I can buy a new pair that fit real well faster than I can wait 30+ years for it to come back in style and my size to get close enough to try wearing it. I kept 2 pairs of jeans that will probably never fit me again, but I got rid of a couple of closets worth of other clothing that was in great shape and will bless whoever stops into that thrift store and buys it. This was real hard....I think that "Gourd" and I e-talked through a thread about it. I finally made: " I can buy a new pair that fit real well faster than I can wait 30+ years for it to come back in style." into a mantra and repeated it to myself a bunch of times as I tackled the first big closet. Oh, I kept a couple of suits that are "dream" clothes. It was hard to get rid of some classes of clothes. I really focused on the fact that I could re-buy it in a cut that was more flattering to my mature figure. That helped a lot.
I loved all of the room that I had once I got rid of all of the excess. It was super easy to put together an outfit after that - everything was so easy to find.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I actually have lost the weight to get back to the size I used to be, and I had kept some of the clothes that were that size (and the sizes between there and how big I'd gotten), but as I lost weight and pulled out old clothes that all of a sudden fit again, there's really nothing that's in style so it's all going to Goodwill before the holidays (and my stuff was only 5-10 yrs old). So my advice would be if you have one pair of skinny jeans that you want to keep around as inspiration to try and get back to that size then that's fine, but I'd really limit it to one or two pieces of clothing and get rid of everything else. Most of it won't ever be in style again, or even if it is, to JuneyBug's point shapes change as we get older so even if you get back to the same weight you were 20 yrs ago, the clothes that were really flattering then might not fit quite right or look quite appropriate now. Plus think how much fun it would be to treat yourself to a shopping trip to buy some new things if you do lose weight! Also, you'll find that sizes have changed over the years, so if you get back to the weight you were 20 yrs ago, you'll probably find that you're wearing a size or two smaller than you were then and that'll feel good too!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm in the process of losing weight (lost 40 lbs so far). I've kept clothes from several years ago, mostly jeans which are expensive in the sizes I'll need them. I don't have a lot of money to budget for clothing, so I'll hang onto the sizes I used to wear as I work my way down to them. I am realistic and have kept only the clothing that I honestly believe I can wear in the next couple of years.

I do budget my space for the clothing though. I refuse to store anything in plastic containers or garbage bags. I also won't spread the clothing to other closets in the house. If it doesn't fit in my master bedroom closet, I get rid of it. Right now, half of the closet is for clothes I can currently wear and the other half are clothes in various sizes that I'll need as I continue to work thru this weight issue. I actually hate shopping so keeping these smaller sizes will save money and time.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It will feel great to buy all new things when you lose the weight. I only kept very classic items that don't go out of style.

Crozet, VA

It is good to see that I am in good company and we all think along the same lines. I too have smaller size clothing in my closet...waiting for who knows what? I don't usually have too much of a problem going through clothing and paring down, so don't have a lot of excess at the moment. There are a few things that I can think of that will be let go the next time I decide to go through my clothing.

Giving thought to my master closet and its contents brings me to a point where I realize that the closet is somewhat in disarray due to other things being put in there that probably should have another home. Going to pull a Huckleberry and start a new thread about it.

As always, good to see you all here and thanks for all the good tips that everyone shares so easily. I learn a lot whenever I read these threads.

Ruby

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

I am grateful to you all for your thoughts. I have decided to pull out all clothing that does not fit me NOW and whittle that pile down to just a few. All I need now is that "rainy day". =^..^=

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, tonight was that "rainy night". I switched the summer clothes with the winter ones. Put about 8 things on the OUT pile. I told myself to detach my emotions from the clothing. Just look at it in terms of facts.
Does it fit? I mean now, not after I lose 20 pounds.
Is it flattering? What about the color, the texture, the print or pattern?
Does it need work? Will I actually make the effort to fix what is wrong with it?

Ok, I admit I have the couches piled with clothing again. The guest bed is once again the OUT pile. But I feel I am making some progress here. I am reining in some of my wildest fantasies and emotions surrounding me and my clothes. The piles are getting smaller. One piece at a time.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Way to go, Huck. It really does get easier the more you do it. And the more progress you see, the higher you get when you get rid of stuff. You're doing great!!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I am so glad that you got going on this! You are right, this is the perfect time to do this. I am going to get on it today and I am going to keep in the front of my mind what ecrane said about her stuff: it was not even old stuff and it was completely out of style. I have also learned that when you lose weight, your body has changed shape a bit and you need a slightly different cut of clothes.

northeastern, AZ

Maybe, huckleberry, you can decide to keep one smaller beautiful outfit. I paid lots of money for a gorgeous suit - can't wear it now, but I'm keeping it and getting rid of all the other clothes that are too small. I had a blouse that I kept because I loved it. I tried it on several times over the last two years. It was too small, and I decided that since I have not worn it for two years it was time to "share" it. I take all my extra stuff and put it in the van immediately. I don't have the patience to take stuff to a consignment store. It has to get out of here when I'm in the mood.

I had been saving some beautiful fabric to make dresses and pinnafores for the granddaughters for my DS's graduation from Medical school. I realize that my DIL hates to iron, she's critical of the clothing I've made for the baby, and who knows what size they will be in 6 months. So I loaded up some more fabric and sent it to the goodwill, too. They love me over there. There is a parking place near the front door with my name on it. LOL!

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Way to go, Gava! Someone, somewhere, will make good use of the shared clothing and fabric. And best of all, you can be free of some of the clunks you get when you "interfere" with the younger generation. ;-)
Love the idea of a Donor-of-the-Month parking space. The new Goodwill here has drive-thru donation which is nice.
Juney, I know you are right about the body changing shape. That is reason enough to ditch the old glory rags. Imagine losing all that weight, only to discover the seat of my pants isn't what or where it used to be. Now that would be depressing enough to gain the weight back and live in sweats and snuggies the rest of my days!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL! True!

northeastern, AZ

Oh, huckleberry! You are always so smart! Thanks for the chuckle about my buns shifting positions. My husbands muscles have all moved around to the front of his body. He has a gut now - he's so proud of it, because he tried to gain weight for years. Anyway my weight shifts and the old pants don't fit anymore.

Crozet, VA

You go Huckleberry!!! As you said....these things get done one step at a time, piece by piece. My husband always encourages me to do a little each day rather than look at an overwhelming job before me. Like Gava, the mood has to strike me before I do any thing much. That is how I visit the hair dresser too. I wake up one morning and say.....today is the day to get the mop addressed and I need to do it then.

Here is hoping no ghosts or goblins trick any of you tonight. Have a happy halloween and a good week coming up.

Thanks everone for the good tips you share.

Ruby

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Sometimes, Ruby, the mood doesn't strike until you actually begin. Beginning is the often the hard part. And you might find that if you begin, even when you don't want to, the mood comes over you suddenly and before you know it, you've completed the project.

I tell you, the mood never strikes me to clean my house...until after I've begun in some way. Maybe someone's coming for a visit so I think I'll just dust the livingroom. Well, the cleanliness of it then motivates me to dust all other rooms, sweep and mop, clean the bathroom, clean up my desk clutter, and do the laundry. Had I not just begun something, anything, my friend might be sitting in my dirty house. (Company coming is such a great motivator for me! LOL) Take you're husband's advice and try just working for a few minutes. I bet once you get started, you won't stop til it's done.

northeastern, AZ

I have spent the last couple of days remodeling some of my favorite skirts. I'm too thick in the waist; the skirts are beautiful wool. And I won't do this for anybody elsek! I'm taking out darts - I don't have a waist - and adding some fabric to the waist band. These few hours of removing seams, pressing, and stitching will mean nice warm clothes to wear again. I refuse to do a poor job of the task and it takes longer to do this than it would to start from scratch. There is nothing more beautiful than a mid-calf skirt worn with boots - even on a squatty body like mine. So I toil on...

Starting IS the hard part.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Starting IS the hard part! Boots are back (I guess they were not "out") Good going Gava! I'm relieved I'm not the only one who re-makes clothing.
I just read of a clothing drive going on at the High School. While my clothes are not that youthful, I am going thru them AGAIN to see what may help the kids.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Don't cut those kids short! I wore a whole lot of my 60yo Mom's clothes when I was in HS. I accessorized VERY differently than she did, of course. A nice shirt looks good on anyone...

Crozet, VA

Yep, I hear you again Nancy Ann. Fretting and stewing over something that is let undone has robbed me of a lot of time that I could have been accomplishing something.

Gava, I know that you will look extra classy in the skirts and boots. Woo Woo!!

Huckleberry, it sounds as though you still have some things, clothing wise to get rid of. You much have had one heck of a collection of things. Good job on paring down.

Juney, I too remember wearing a lot of my mom's things during my high school years too. She purchased only the very best, so at the time I looked quite good.

Thanks for the pep talk everyone. Take good care.

Ruby

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Just recently we went on a trip to southern CA for a high school reunion. Before we left as I started to pack ahead of time, I cleaned out my closets. I got rid of everything I knew that I would never wear. (Why was I saving all those things, anyway?) Some of the clothes were given to me or I inherited. I saved them, but they did not suit me. I felt compelled to keep them, and then I just decided to keep what I will wear. Yes, I did keep just a handful, 5 items, that were not practical, but valuable. Not sure what to do with them, but I will figure it out. All those scratchy sweaters - gone, shirts and shorts that no longer fit - gone! Now I am working on other things. Cleaning out my desk right now.

TTYL

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Nice to meet you, Evelyn. I like your style!

I donated 2 bags of clothing to the Humane Society thrift store. Bought several things in there too. My mother doesn't shop for herself anymore and I have been buying a few things for her, something I promised myself I would not do anymore. Oops. I think I will blame this slippage on the fact that it gets dark early now ( whatever!). =^..^=

Crozet, VA

Huckleberry, you are a hoot!!! I always laugh when reading some of your posts.

Great going on the closet Evelyn. I have two desks that I need to work on before too long. I am at the point now of having a hard time locating many things that I need from time to time. I believe that it can wait until after the holidays though because I have lots of other places that need my attention first.

I love hearing success and progress stories. Keep up the good work everyone.

Ruby

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Well goodie because I have a small success to report. I took 26 items to the High School clothing swap. That is the good news. The bad news is that I let someone peer pressure me into participating in the swap and I ended up bringing 10 other items home. Some people just can't stand progress! ;-)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

You're still 16 ahead, Huck! Congrats!!!

Crozet, VA

That is the way I see it too BC. Good going Huckleberry.

Ruby

Crozet, VA

Some weeks back I spent a couple of days organizing my master bedroom closet to accomodate the Christmas gifts I have purchased recently. While in there I ws able to get rid of about eight or ten pairs of shoes and a few items of clothing. I noticed that I have a rack in there which usually holds my knock around clothes and robes. There are only four pegs on the rack and each peg has two or three articles of clothing hanging on it.

I finally got some new hooks that I will install when I can find the time and thus have more places to hang things that don't warrant a clothes hanger. Since organizing it I find it quite pleasant to open the door and see organization versus disarray. Feels nice.

I hope that everyone is havinga good week. gobble gobble

Ruby

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

I wanted to reduce my coat collection in July. I talked myself out of it by saying I would wear each one during the winter for a proper evaluation, then get rid of any I don't love or have a need of. Sort of a homework assignment. Dry cleaner needs approx. $13.00 to clean each one I decide to keep. I am appealing to my frugality to make the necessary cuts.

I did divide my clothes in two, what fits now is in the closet and what will fit if/when I lose 25lbs is in the guest room. I plan to look at them often in the hope they will help me lose the weight.

Decided to focus on the accessories, as scarves, jewelry and bags don't care what size I am and never will. ;-))

Crozet, VA

It took a couple of weeks but I was finally able to take down the four pegged rack in the master closet and hang another one with twice as many pegs on it. Works so much better now. At the moment my master bedroom closet is full of all my Christmas stash (gifts and wrap). After that is all given away, I might even have space in the closet for John to put his clothes. If John puts his clothes in the master closet that will mean that we will have a coat size closet to store other household things. I am starting to see the light, finally.

Huckleberry, every little bit counts and so whatever you do towards organizing and paring down counts toward a job well done. I am very happy to report that along with de-cluttering the house, I am also dropping some excess poundage. Yippie. I might even find myself being able to soon fit in to some of the smaller jeans I own. I was delighted as I dressed yesterday to head out to building supply store. I had to put on a belt with the jeans I wore and the heavier top I wore is one that I purchased some time back but never wore because it was too tight. I hope that my losing streak keeps up for a while.

I tend to hold on to coats too Huckleberry. I went through the closets a couple of months back and was able to get rid of several of them. Coats take up a lot of space. Keep up the good work girl.

Ruby

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I've heard of many marriages where the husband's clothes aren't in the master bedroom. The wife commandeers the entire closet. Feng shui says we have to make room for our partners. If you're in a relationship or hoping to be, it's necessary to make room for him. Both partners need to know they're equal in the relationship. Feng shui says both partners should have half of the master closet, some of the drawers in the dresser, and a nightstand and lamp on each side of the bed. By forcing one partner to store clothes in a closet outside the master bedroom, it appears that one partner is being pushed out of the room as well as the relationship.

I know none of you mean to push your partners away, but do they themselves feel like they have been? I love the concepts of Feng Shui. It's all about harmony, and sharing the master closet is part of that harmony I feel. Of course I'm single and I have a 10 ft closet full of MY stuff! LOL So now we know why I'm still single. Hmmmmm...

Crozet, VA

I studied Feng Shui for some time and as I have mentioned before, could never get past step one which is to have no clutter. Maybe after the house is de-cluttered, I can begin incorporating more of the FS concepts in to my style.

After all of my Christmas gifts are given this year, there will be space for more of John's things in my the Master closet. I was thinking last night that I need to begin spending some time wrapping gifts. Gonna just have to bite the bullet and do it. Maybe I will attempt to get to a few of them today. That is going to be a major undertaking and I might just become like some of you who have been able to let this particfular stress go and are not bothered with the time and expense of purchasing alot of things. Right now it is fun because I have little ones to buy for.

Have a good Sunday all.

Ruby

Lebanon, OR

for several years now I have kept clothes in several sizes while I went up and down now it is all going down and think this time it will stay off so I am quilty of a summer and winter clothes closet because I need things for the summer because I go thru the summer everyday tshirts and sweats because of my job, and then I have the winter clothes for both nice things to wear and for warmth. I have just gotten rid of 4 bags the big outdoor black bags of clothes that I will take to Cats Meow a thrift store that is all volunteer workers and the only money coming out for expenses is the rent lights water gas and the rest goes to continue to save animals. Then I have the 7 boxes to give of glass items. It does fell good!

D

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Congratulations, Dee!! Both on the weightloss and the decluttering job! What a great cause you're donating to too!

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Dee, that's a win, win, win! Good for you, the animals, and the bargain shoppers.

Crozet, VA

Good work Dee. You sure are on the ball and really are getting things done. Yes indeed, it does feel good. I haven't really had issues with having too many clothes, but from time to time, I do go through and get rid of things that I know I will never wear again.

What has me excited clothing wise is that my son who is twenty years old and likes to purchase clothing and shoes finally got rid of some of his things this week. A friend of his took about ten shirts and the box going to Goodwill tomorrow has about ten in it also. A few weeks back , John sent things to donation too. To actually have closet space is a good feeling.

Again, good work Dee.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Wonderful, Ruby and fellas. Keep those unworn clothes in circulation.

I have been test-driving my collection of coats. Called a few dry cleaners to get cost estimates for cleaning. $12-18 dollars each. :-O
I decided to keep one after I moved the belt loops up and more to the back. Now it fits perfectly. I am going to use this one as my "dress" coat and build a wardrobe around it.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

As my excess weight has caused me to hang on to clothing, I decided I had better get serious about losing this 20 lbs and maintaining one weight so I can minimize the clothing.

I am keeping a food journal for three weeks. I began yesterday and was mindful of my choices and portions. Today I was like a sailor on shore leave. I ate everything in sight and wrote it all down too, just for spite. What an attitude problem I have! I hope this is normal and that I will settle down and stay on the right path once I am done rebelling.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2010 4:26 PM

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Weight loss Drs. encourage you to have a cheat day every 7-10 days. It actually helps you lose weight when you know that it is coming up and your body will not 'get used' to the fewer calories and slow down the metabolism.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm relieved to learn that. For a moment I wondered if I would eat the notepad and pencil. The grocery store had samples today- I sampled 14 things and I wrote every one down. I hope I will get so tired of writing things down, I will not put it in my mouth to begin with.
Got my dress coat from the cleaners. It looks and smells much nicer...almost worth the $17.85 charge. It has been at least 10 years since I have used a cleaners.

Crozet, VA

Huckleberry Girl - I am just really thrilled with reading your posts this week. You, my friend are getting on the band wagon and are making some great progress. In fact, you are addressing many issues at once and sound all gung ho. We are here for you too. As Juney pointed out, remember to give yourself a break from time to time in order to renew your spirit and soul. It does my spirit good to hear of the things that you are doing. Keep up the good work!!!

Juney, as always, you are here to cheer us all on. A smile comes to my lips each time I see your name. Even though we may never meet face to face, please know that I regard you two ladies and many others on these threads as true friends. If at the end of the day when you may feel as though you may not have contributed much to mankind on a particular day, remember that each of you have helped me in any number of ways, and I am truly appreciative even though I may forget from time to time to acknowledge it.

Have a good weekend for anyone reading.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.