-
AuthorContent
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #8145349

I have seen advertised a light that is basicly a hole through your roof that goes right into the room that you want lit, using the sun for natural light. I am leary of calling a salesman that will pressure me and tell me anything at all to get the sale. Prefer to talk to anyone that has experianced them
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 10, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #8149570

Are you referring to a "sky light" which is actually a type of covering you can buy (or have made) to allow sunlight into a given room ? They come in a variety of sizes ahd are installed on your roof after a cut out is made to accomodate them.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #8150921

Thank you JasperDale
daugenet
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #8164150

i believe you are referring to a solar tube? depot and lowes sell them. I have seen it in the doors area of the store. you could always talk to some of the people there and see if they know much about it. I have seen it used on several tv shows and they seem to be very nice. I plan on getting one put in for a bathroom i have that has no window in it as it will let in a lot of light.
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8232691

I've seen these installed in a windowless hallway at my friend's house and it is amazing to me how much light they allow into that formerly dark area.
Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

December 15, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8262534

We installed three of the solar tubes several years ago and they are wonderful. We put one in each bathroom (since the bathrooms are in the interior of the house and don't have windows/natural light) and one in the kitchen (because I like a lot of light for cooking). We have not had any problem with them at all and they really brighten up a room.
The only concern I have is what will happen to the clear cover on the roof if it gets hit by hail (Texas tends to have hail with spring storms.) So far we have not had a bad hail storm since we installed them. Does anyone know what would make a good cover for them if we knew in advance a nasty storm was coming (and I could get on the roof and cover them up)?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 17, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8264781

What does the mfgr recommend?

I would think anything that could be easily installed might blow off in the wind that usually accompanies those storms.

I'm sure I could build a tight fitting cover with some foam padding, metal banding, some plywood, and plastic, but it would create a storage issue, and well as a safety hazard to install and remove every storm.
Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

December 21, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #8271039

I need to locate the paperwork and find out what they recommend. It would be great if there was a type of cover that was rubbery or plastic that would snap on and stay on in a storm. We have advance warning many times when storms with hail are coming and I don't mind getting on the roof to install covers - it would be easier than trying to replace the plexiglass domes. Fortunately I have plenty of storage room for them when the covers aren't needed.
Maybe there isn't much of a market for solar tube covers so they don't make them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America