-
AuthorContent
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8148020

I'm planning a shade garden and I want all white flowers. I saw where Sister Therese Hydrangeas do well in shade. Is this really true?

Thanks, Linny
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #8148079

While I've never grown Sister Therese, I have grown two beautiful Limelight hydrangeas. One is in more sun than the other but both are so lovely and are white, bordering on green. As the season progresses there is a delightful shade of pink in the heads.

Here's a photo of the one in sun taken this year on July 14.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #8148082

Here's the one in shade, which may be too green for your wish of a white garden.

Thumbnail by pirl

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #8148126

Hydrangeas do like shade--if it's really deep, dark shade then they may not bloom as well, but if they get some morning sun or some indirect light then it should be happy.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8638660

My "Snow Queen" oak leaf hydrangeas are shaded most of the day and do beautifully.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8658205

That's gorgeous leawood! I love that hedge too! What is it?
Most recommended at least part shade or more, particularly for midday sun, in warmer zones where hydrangeas get a little droopy (just like me on those kind of days! ) I think your plants will be just fine, as long as they are getting indirect sun or morning sun, and aren't competing with too many tree roots for water (if it's trees creating the shade)
Best of luck with your project. Posting pictures never hurts either! :) I love to see other gardener's. "Before and after"
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8658426

The dappled shade works well for hydrangeas here. Their colors all look good, no crisping or browning of leaves and no drooping by the end of the day.

Thumbnail by pirl

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8658756

Thanks, OutlawHeart!

The hedge is just Buxus 'Winter Gem' - it does fine in Zone 5. I have used it throughout my garden with no problems (except where the yard guys hit it with their mower - it is very sensitive to 'bumps' in cold weather.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8658769

Pirl that picture is stunning! I love em! Can't wait to have a yard full! :)
I put my hydrangeas along the north east front of my house where they'll get lots of morning sun in the spring until the catalpa blooms, when it's hotter and they get dappled sun and indirect light but are more protected from the winter winds. Hope that I'm not overwhelming you. :) I'm sure you'll find the perfect spot.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America