Photo by Melody

Article: Preserving the Bounty, a Summary of Food Preservation (Part 2): Freezing melon and bell peppers...

Communities > Forums > Article: Preserving the Bounty, a Summary of Food Preservation (Part 2)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Preserving the Bounty, a Summary of Food Preservation (Part 2)Replies: 6, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
OceanLyons
Mesa, AZ

October 11, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8150151

Hello,

Thank you for your article.

I have found that frozen melon (honeydew, cantaloupe) freezes well for smoothies. I have yet to try watermelon, but I don't think that is very promising. The texture of the frozen cantaloupe or honeydew in the smoothies is very fine and smooth.

I have froze bell peppers as well, but for soups, sauces, and other cooked items. They are very soft and mushy when thawed, but I like the flavor they impart to certain cooked items. They chop well frozen, but forget about it if they're thawed.

Happy cooking and gardening!
OceanLyons
Mesa, AZ

October 11, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8150156

P.S. I did not blanch the melon or peppers.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #8150240

Good to know, Ocean.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 11, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8150271

Ditto for rhubarb. I wash it, cut it into 1/2" chunks and bag in quart bags. Easy to break up and take out what you want. Yes, it thaws mushy, but we use it all winter in bran muffins and other baking. Great in Rhubarb Almond Cake.
cfbloom
Marengo, IL

October 11, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #8151272

frozen bell peppers and jalapenos are excellent for making stuffed peppers. I use a combination of rice, tomato sauce, meat such as ground round, chicken & even fish. Fry up the stuffing & keep it in the fridge. Pull some frozen whole peppers out of the freezer (you need to remove the tops & insides before freezing) stuff & pop in the microwave with a little shredded cheese. Perfect "fast food."
clanewalker2
Lenoir, NC

October 13, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8153714

I make lots of soups so I really like to freeze peppers and onions. Just cut them into chips. lay them on cookie sheets, freeze and hen put them in containers so I can take out as many as I need or want at one time. Also I like to take tomatoes, dip into boiling water, squeeze the tomatoes keeping skin into bags contin enoughn for one time, squeeze the bag, let the air out, seal and lay flat for use in soup or sauces.

I also like to bread squash, lay them on sheets to freeze, put them into bags and take out what I want to fry and they are really good.

Been wondering about freezing spices. Any comments?
FBSPANKEY2
Fort Benton, MT

December 15, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8261640

anyone have suggestions about freezing tomatos?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Preserving the Bounty, a Summary of Food Preservation (Part 2) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article threegardeners 4 Oct 11, 2010 6:37 AM
yucca seeds gunca 1 Sep 3, 2007 10:12 AM
enjoying series sal522 1 Sep 4, 2007 6:33 PM
Thank You Fairleigh 0 Sep 5, 2007 5:02 PM
Freezable foods Chilko 3 Oct 11, 2010 4:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America