Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tepesridge
Catoosa, OK

October 11, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #8150629

We have a dilemma in our water garden. Our goldfish are dying, one by one, every few days I find another floating, we've lost over 10 in the last few weeks. This is a well established pond (about 8 yrs old, for 6 years it was a koi pond but I found homes for them), 3500 gal, the water quality is good, no new fish have been introduced (earlier in the spring I did), I have looked over the fish that have died and they look fine, I can't see anything wrong with them, other than they are dead. We have frogs, about 5 that live in the pond and they are fine, the plants are healthy. I'm at a loss, does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on?
Pam

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

October 11, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8150701

Any rain that could have produced run off into the pond that carried contaminates? Anyone spraying insecticide in neighboring lawns?
tepesridge
Catoosa, OK

October 12, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #8151789

Nope, it's a raised pond (built into a deck about 4ft off the ground) and we live in the country, closest neighbor is over 500ft away. Although I'll have to check, husband sprayed insecticide a few weeks ago (our neighbors have a huge flea infestation and their dogs are always coming onto our property so my husband laid down a band of insecticide between their property and ours - with
6 dogs and cats, we don't dare risk any of those nasty critters), but he sprayed it around 300 ft from the pond and east, we rarely get wind from the east... No dead fish yesterday when I got home,
but we had one Sunday, I'll be expecting on today or tomorrow. ;-(
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8154758

Do you by chance have a heavier than normal leaf drop? Are you possibly building up too much tannic acid from rotting leaves?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

October 19, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #8164483

Hmmm is the pond "4ft above the deck" or "4ft above the ground even with the deck"? If even with the deck what ever you treated the deck with could be contaminating water?
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #8165486

she said it was 8 yrs old, any chems in the wood, would have caused problems long before now I would think?
tepesridge
Catoosa, OK

October 20, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #8165956

No heavier than normal leaf drop. And, hate to say it, we have not treated the deck at all and it's in need of some care. It's cedar, but there's no where where the wood touches the water. Last weekend I was thinking, how nice it was, we hadn't had any dead fish for days, maybe it was over, then 2 dead over the weekend. They all act normal and look normal, until one starts floating. It's very frustrating.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #8182146

could some THING like an animal be killing them.. any teeth marks ?? I found dead fish before with teeth marks in them like after they killed it they realised they wouldnt eat it..
tepesridge
Catoosa, OK

November 1, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8189407

Not that I noticed. I wondered about something killing them. We aren't losing as many lately, we go almost a week, and I start thinking maybe it's over, then bam, another dead one. This is so perplexing, I jokingly told my husband I was going to have an autopsy done on one... he wasn't amused. But it is driving me crazy.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #8190780

Is the deck relatively new? Are the fish dying after a rain? A lot of decking boards/pressure treated wood are treated with different chemicals and these chemicals can be toxic to fish.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #8190791

spring then fall, flukes hit, worms, treat them with, well drat, cant remember the stuff, have to figure out where i put my books
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #8190939

Fish will typically jump with flukes...

Have you taken a scraping from the the skin of your fish and looked under the microscope?
tepesridge
Catoosa, OK

November 6, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #8197677

No, to skin scraping. They are now down to dying about 1/wk.

Deck is 10 yrs old, cedar, pond is about 8yrs old, and it hasn't rained here in weeks.

The last one that died I looked him over very closely (not microscopically though) and he
looked fine.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #8197687

Could you have a plant in the area that is dropping now that it is fall, and maybe poisoning them? Have you tried a large water change?
tepesridge
Catoosa, OK

November 15, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8212464

Actually, the dying started in late August, that's when a lot were dying, but then it started slowing down to about 1/ wk. We have now gone about 10 days with no floaters... Got my fingers crossed.
maybe some chemical got in, although I have no idea how it could since we hadn't used any.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #8212651

do you have any neighbor kids that may have tossed in who knows what?
Or something that may have fell in, and died?
Have you been using a new feed?

Has your county, or city made any changes to the water (or maybe there is something else wrong w the water)
Maybe the street dept came by and sprayed ? along the street or alley or something like that and spray drifted?
lroot
Hollywood, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #8281459

I had a similar problem last year and I spoke to a Koi pond expert and he said it sound like one or both of two problems. I treated for both at the same time so not sure which one it was but no problems since. The two problems were: 1. Not enough oxygen in the water, especially during the warm months when the water heats up and holds less O2. So I increased the volume of the water circulation. 2. Was the amount of sludge on the bottom of the pond. I had about 2 inches of sludge. He said when this gets mixed up by the fish or other activity in can release dangerous amounts of ammonia and other toxins. I added a sludge reducer and now have only a thin film of sludge on the bottom.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 23, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8325426

tepesridge, what's happened with your fish since your last post?
tepesridge
Catoosa, OK

May 3, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8536452

haha, sorry, I got busy with seed planting and forgot to check in here. They have actually quit dying. We lost a few over the winter, but nothing for several months. Not sure what was/is going on. I don't think it's too low O2, since it didn't start until the temps dropped off, and in July we had many 100-112 days and they were fine. I don't think it's sludge as there's not much down there, but it never hurts to add a sludge reducer.

I live in the country so no worry about a street dept ;-) and fortunately our water is really great (our water company sends out bimonthly reports reporting the water chemistry (which I love - I'm a geochemist ;-)). I am still checking on them (and it is possible we've lost some and they never surfaced, we have a lot of oxygenating plants on the bottom to hide bodies). Even though it has seemed to stop, it is still driving me crazy as to what was happening. Thanks for all the ideas!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8537018

A friend got all his fish through our winter in good health (he thought) which is not a small thing with our winters. Then in the spring they all died one by one. He felt it was some sort of infection that attached the fish when they were weakened by the long winter. There are good general meds you can add on a 'just in case' basis when no other cause of death presents itself. Just an idea. Maybe you only lost the weakened fish.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America