Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Gardening As We Age: The Home Enabling Garden: Gardening into old age

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening As We Age: The Home Enabling Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening As We Age: The Home Enabling GardenReplies: 6, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EglantineLady
Livermore, CA

October 11, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8150908

Discussing the obstacles to gardening when you are really unfit for the sport is very interesting to me. I have a small plot in a community garden where I grow pole beans, tomatoes, cukes, herbs, berries, canteloupes, and plenty of basil. I can only manage this because I have a danty little green bench that I can move from row to row. Having a metered drip system helps, too. Each year I debate whether I am up to signing a lease for the coming year. However,since I have reduced the area to 1/3 of its original space, I can look forward to next spring and another chance to "dig in the dirt". My home landscaping is neglected and I must learn to "garden smart" there. In the meantime I prepare for my 79th birthday next month. Rheumatoid arthritis has only slowed me down a little. If you find that each morning you look forward to walking outside and checking the progress of what is growing in your garden, you have the gardening gene and it cannot be ignored.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #8151393

Beautifully said! You are an inspiration. Happy gardening for years to come!
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 12, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #8152906

keep on gardening you will stay young . You are truly an inspiration to us
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8153051

What a lovely and heartfelt comment EglantineLady.

And thanks to bariolio and cytf for their comments as well.
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #8163817

"If you find that each morning you look forward to walking outside and checking the progress of what is growing in your garden, you have the gardening gene and it cannot be ignored."

Eglantine Lady, I love this. Coming up on 69, you are my hero.

Linny
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 6, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9231848

I AM 64 AND HAVE RETIRED 2 YEARS AGO. LIVING IN NY CITY AREA I EMBRACE THE BEAUTIFUL WEATHER FROM APRIL TO NOVEMBER . GARDENING IS MY HOBBY , I CHECK MY 8 GARDENS EVERY DAY
EGLANTINE LADY GIVES ME INSPIRATION TOO
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9415082

Sorry for not responding to these great comments until now!

TC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening As We Age: The Home Enabling Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
thanks... Sundownr 1 Oct 6, 2010 5:48 PM
Garden until you drop! CLScott 7 Oct 11, 2010 7:47 AM
Cactus and etc btlr44 0 Oct 11, 2010 7:04 AM
ideas for raising established beds bariolio 0 Oct 11, 2010 12:54 PM
Here is a great read on this topic... nosopradio 1 Oct 26, 2010 6:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America