Photo by Melody

Home Decorating: How to fix back cushions on a couch?

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 4, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #8154064

Ok, you know what I'm talking about, the back cushions that are loose.
Mine are mishapen due to teenagers using them as pillows ... which I do have (pillows that is).
Am I going to have to restuff these cushions? and if so, what do I use to restuff?
I will never never buy another couch like this!!!!!

I am really hoping someone has an answer to this question, It will be much appreciated.

J2222
Southern California, CA

October 13, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #8154246

What are they stuffed with? The pillows not the teens.
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #8154389

Guess I'll have to open one up.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #8185630

I had a couch like this. First, kick the teenagers in the butt and no more using those as pillows. If you can get some other pillows for them to use because otherwise they will NEVER stop...or make some up, have the teenagers help. Pillows are about the easiest thing to make, and cheap too. Even buy some ugly pillows on clearance at the dollar store and use the stuffing inside to stuff the pillows you've made that you think are pretty.

I used to unstuff my couch back pillow cushions and wash the covers. Yeah, I know, you're not supposed to do that...but I had cats, dogs, a DD who was messy and I smoked. It was soooo much easier than vaccuuming and/or trying to clean them any other way. I threw the covers right in the washing machine and dryer. All the stuffing I took out looked just like polyfill. You can get that in the craft dept at Wal-Mart or at JoAnn's. I would look online for a bulk supplier of polyfill if you have to do a lot of cushions to try and keep your cost down. The stuff weighs nothing so it won't cost anything to ship it, that's for sure.

When you open up your pillows remove any polyfill that is lumped into balls and replace it. Whenever I unstuffed and restuffed my cushions I was always really careful to grab huge handfuls and keep hold of them very loosely so that I wouldn't make it ball up.

Good luck...and if nothing else beat those teenagers with one of those pillows before you open them up!!!
J2222
Southern California, CA

October 31, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #8186753

Just posted and it disappeared. I had teens, too, heatherjoy & toofe--they're all in their 40s and I still remember the problems. If your pillows can be removed try low heat or no heat in dryer for 5 minutes. That might fluff up the polyfill. It might stay fluffed for a while anyway. I would ask the teens to use pillows off of their beds. I fluff various things-throw rugs, duvets, pillows in the dryer with a dryer sheet-it renews them a bit and removes some dust etc.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 41 Feb 3, 2014 11:13 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America