Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

October 13, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #8154196

Welcome to Practical Matters #8. Here, we discuss the day-to-day challenges of gardening and outdoor living when you are dealing with some sort of physical limitation. It is a place to share problems and seek out potential solutions. A place to vent frustrations and share the joys of the garden and our successes. We even manage to stay on topic sometimes. lol. .
Today, I got an excellent photo when I went to look at the luffa sponge flowers. I don't know enough about butterflies to identify the type, but I thought she was a beauty. .

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 13, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #8154675

Thanks, Jim. Good to see you back on. :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

October 14, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #8156770

Debra, I accidently came across something interesting about yours and Kay’s names while I was trying to come up with ideas for an anniversary gift.
Kay is actually named Melissa Kay. (There was another Melissa at Amargia years ago who didn’t like her middle name so DW started going by Kay to avoid confusion.
Anyway, Melissa and Debra have the same meaning. One is just of Greek origin and the other Hebrew. They both mean “honeybee.” LOL. That could explain a lot.
I knew there was some plant with “Melissa” as part of its botanical name. I thought that would make an interesting gift, but it turned out to be lemon balm. We already have that.
I was going to get us that lemon-scented daylily. Unfortunately, I discovered the one with the strong fragrance doesn’t like the south much. The nursery I found that carried it said Zone 7 and we are in the lower portion of 8. Oh well, maybe I’ll have better luck coming up with something tomorrow. (Jim)

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2010
10:13 PM

Post #8158481

LOL!! I couldnt help it. The thought crossd my mind ...beautiful animal but watch out for the stinger!... Just kidding.

Wanted to add, I read this first and went to the old thread.
DD told me yesterday I could'nt get along with my neighbors. So i called a couple of them and was told we get along fine. Moral of story. Check with someone else before you go off into the deep end.
Oh and i copied jims pic of the butterfly. I'm preparing a booklet of summer pics and happy sayings for the winter blues. I might ought to simply paper my walls with them. LOL

This message was edited Oct 15, 2010 11:39 PM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 16, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8158753

Jim, Thank you! Kay and I do resemble our names, being busy bees, eh? (bad, I know LOL).

Vickie, hope this one helps. :-) It's the guy's underside (he fell over), but looks pretty against the zinnias. Managed to quick-snap the photo outside the office last week.

Debra
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 16, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8158754

oops. again, too quick to click

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8158834

Debra, that is inspirational. It looks like a stained glass window of a cathedral.
Thanks
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 21, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #8168477

All of my roses are blooming...happy sigh...I love my yard...Sunday, I planted a red Cyclamen, two red Geraniums, two Tequila Sunset Calibrachoa, three Gauras, 12 Daylilies, three Baptisias, two hardy Asters, moved a wild-looking shrub rose and replaced it with a tangerine Canna and five of those Coreopsis. Year before last, I put in all blue stuff. Last year, it was all purple stuff. This year, obviously, it's reds and oranges. Still have a dozen or so plants to put in, including three Clematis. The ones planted the last couple of years are leafing out again after the horrid summer. Very exciting. Also just got 10 red Rain Lily bulbs. Maybe I'll get most finished this weekend. Have the whole real entire weekend OFFFFF. Supposed to rain Saturday (ooh, sleep laaaate), so Sunday should be perfect for digging and moving things around. Thinking about digging up ALL of the Iris in the side yard and move them. Whole area taken over by weedy grass and it is strangling the Iris. Then I can--shudder--herbicide that whole area until next year, then replant or paver.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #8170202

I love rain lilies! There was an article several years ago in Horticulture on all the different rain lily types. I was intrigued. I never imagined there were so many varieties and you could get such a long season of bloom from rain lilies. Here is the basic article:
http://www.hortmag.com/archive/a_passion_for_rain_lilies
I can send you the full article with the cultivar list and when they bloom, if you are interested. I bet most would do well in your climate. They were scattered all over our front yard when I was young. (Either they were the native type or were planted by the people who originally homesteaded the property. The way they popped up from nowhere after a storm was magical to my child’s mind. They still have the same effect on my adult mind, for that matter. lol.
Do you know the rose varieties that are blooming? I’ve seen roses blooming here at Thanksgiving, but I evidently don’t have the right types for that. I would sacrifice some scent for a late bloomer.
Vickie, I thought of you when I saw the Christmas decorations in the store. Are you planning to decorate this year?

I need to get some new daffodil bulbs in the ground. Jim found some ‘Professor Einstein’ and I have some large doubles, I think I’ve found a site that is sheltered enough for the latter. Their size is impressive, but they are blown over easily because they are top-heavy. I dislike having to stake. If I keep them in a corner out of the wind and intentionally add some clay to the soil to secure the roots, maybe I can avoid it.
I’m on a med now for hypothyroidism. I have more energy and don’t feel like such a zombie. Hopefully, I can get things moving forward again.
Nadine has gotten serious about job hunting. She went to a local job fair and put in more than a dozen applications, but said she wanted to get serious about an independent business too. I think the sheer number of people at the fair brought home to her how bad the unemployment problem is. She is having fun working on the plans for her “hobbit house.” She actually wants to build her house into the hillside. I guess that makes sense in an area prone to hurricanes and tornadoes. The only thing that concerns me is water and how close we are to sea level.
Jim is engrossed in this year’s BlizzCon, the annual convention of World of Warcraft/Starcraft and Diablo fans. It is in California and he is watching it via LiveCam this year. From what I’m hearing, I think I’m glad we weren’t able to make it. My DH now appears sane and reasonable when I compare him to other WOW fans. :-) Kay*
Photo: I try to add a new chrysanthemum color every year. Most are perennial here. This is the newest addition.

Thumbnail by Amargia

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 22, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #8170350

Hi, Kay!

Love to have the full article, thanks.

All of these roses are blooming:
Gizmo (that's the one in the photograph)
Just Joey
Julia Child
Graham Thomas
Heritage
Tamora
Fourth of July
Mardi Gras
A miniature yellow and a minature red rose

Opening Night and the wild pink shrub rose are the only two not yet budding or blooming. Last year, I had Heritage, Julia Child, and Tamora blooming up to Christmas. This time of year is why I love living in Texas and put up with the sometimes horrible summers. :-)

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #8172066

Debra, you will have to keep us entertained all through the long cold dreary gray boring did I mention cold winter.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #8172095

Jim, where, oh, where is #9?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 23, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8172107

Carrie, will do my best. :-) Usually have something blooming and/or green throughout the winter. Long term forecast is for warmer and drier than usual. LaNina, "they" say. Which, I am hoping, means that I'll have more blooming than usual, too.

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #8172935

Debra, my sweet, just do what you can!

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 24, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #8173067

Nadine, how goes the hunt?

Debra
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

October 24, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #8173410

I guess I do need to get some Division 9 Poeticus daffodils into the spring bulb mix. Is that what you mean, Carrie? I do have a tendency to go for the big, showy flowers that are more, troublesome to grow. I think it's one of those "guy things." Kay loves her little jonquils and calls the daffodils I'm drawn to "those big honkers". lol (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 24, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #8173700

Spent a couple of hours outside today. Mid 80s and tomorrow is supposed to be 90. There's nothing like living in Texas. :-) Experimenting with plants on the Northwest corner of the house. Planted a Frans Hals Daylily and a Baptisia in front, put a Magnus Echinacea and an Iris on the west side. See how they fare. Not done much with that side yet. Think I will dig up the yellow Iris on the back border of the front bed, put them on the West side. Then dig up the Siberian Iris, Immortality, Orange Harvest, and that chocolate Iris. Put them in front so I can carry on the destructo program on the East side yard. Hmm...think I will recruit staff to help...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 24, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #8173706

Annnddd, after six years in this house, I finally realized---I can plant a lacecap Hydrangea behind the AC unit!!!!. It is shaded almost all day, even though it is on the West side. I've love the pictures of Blue Billow ever since I saw one in White Flower Farms catalog. Too much hot sun in the other accessible areas. Killed a couple before I gave up. But I think I gonna try it back there. Might even remember to water it! Have plans to put a two-foot high picket fence from the AC unit to the corner. Between the two, the AC unit should be masked pretty well. I am very excited. Why I didn't think of this before...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #8173862

The AC doesn't DRIP, by any chance, does it? Around here all the ACs drip like mad. Maybe where you are they don't drip enough, or the drip evaporates right away.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8173874

Jim, I meant THREAD #9; I actually have little patience for flowers that have been bred to be weak-stemmed and top-heavy. I DON'T stake, or I can't and I wouldn't ask anyone else to do it for me.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 24, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #8173879

Never noticed if the drain pipe drops enough to help plants, or if it even drains on this side. Guess I should find out, huh. :-D If it is that little spigot-looking thing up high, very little of the water would have time to hit the ground before the heat got to it. But I will check. If I could reroute it to the base of the Hydrangea...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #8173948

Whoops, Jim, you made thread #8!!!! A lovely thread it is indeed, sir, too. I offer this forth as proof of my muddle-headedness.

Hmmm ... last night I didn't take the lovely pills that allow my legs to sleep through the night, and today I woke up alert and feisty, didn't even get sleepy in the middle of the day as I have been so often recently, and I can tell that #8 is the new one and am no longer looking for mythical threads. Grrrrrr. I guess I have to call my neurologist's nurse again.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8173980

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1581/

I think this is the canna you Armagians sent me. If mine had flowered, it cold have perennialized! I think I need to start it sooner or put it in more direct sun or both.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 24, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #8174101

-Ah-ha, another iris mover. I should have known. :-) Do you two think that just because they wear bright colors they are gypsy plants? We are going to rescue Amargia’s poor iris collection, Vickie, and give them a stable home. I will dig them all up and put them in containers in the Cando Container Garden where they will be under your protection.
I’ve been offered my old, OLD job back as soon as there is an opening. The one I had as a teenager. My savings have dwindled to the point I’m not too proud to flip burgers. I would rather not be a restaurant manager. The money isn’t good enough to make the long hours and stress worth dealing with. I feel strong and stable again and I want to keep it that way. I talked to the manager of a nursing home at the job fair I went to. That is a good possibility, as well. I want to put in some applications on the local army aviation base before I make a decision.
Yes, Carrie, I think so too. The photos on PlantFiles didn't look quite the same, but I found an image on Flicker that was dead on target. After a visit to Canna News, it made sense. They appear to me to be saying there are two different types of Canna musaefolia 'Rubra'. Is that how it reads to you?
Excerpt from "Canna News"
Canna 'Musaefolia Rubra'
Stems dark red, 6½ ft. high. Leaves dark purple-red, oval, very large. Flowers small, salmon-red. Rootstocks very tender, with fibrous roots. Introduced by Théodore Année, Passy, France, EU in 1862. Chaté E. (1867).
A tall Foliage Group cultivar; dark green foliage, very large, broadly oblong shaped, maroon margin, spreading habit; oval stems, colored green; flowers are upright, self-coloured salmon-red, staminodes are small, edges regular, style is red, petals purple with farina, fully self-cleaning; fertile both ways, not true to type, self-pollinating, capsules round; rhizomes are thick, up to 3 cm in diameter, coloured purple; tillering is prolific
-------------
If you ever talk to Larry Retting,, tell him we say thanks.

~Nadine~

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 24, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #8174218

Hey, Nadine. Done my share of that, too. First job at 16 was Jack in the Box. While I wouldn't mind cooking again if needed, HUGELY agree that the management gig is not worth even double the pay. ACKKK! Did you ever find yourself flipping burgers in your sleep after a particularly long, busy day? I did more times than I care to count, or so my sister who shared a bed with me at the time said. At least I didn't accidentally black her eye from the "flipping" around. She should be grateful to me, don't you think? LOL What would you be doing at the aviation base? That sounds very intriguing. Love aviation and space. My dad worked in aerospace until I was 11. Very cool stuff.

Ms. Carrie, maybe no sleep for the legs, but I am glad you are back. You have been missed.

Okay, gotta say it at least once in one of the forums: GO RANGERS! (Sorry, been supporting them since 1972. This feels good. :-)

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010
11:47 PM

Post #8174394

Debra, I'll say go rangers (BASEBALL) too! Afraid i'm an off and on fan tho since we moved from Texas. Am pulling for the ALA Crimson Tide (FOOTBALL) this year too. They're good.Sorry Kay just can't get enthused over them Simanols. SP
Sorry I've not been online. I've been racking my brain on bringing in more money for the falling economy. It's supposed to be worse next year. Am thinking on renting out the Condo. Will have to get some stuff added to it tho. Am also going to get someone from home health Care to come up and help me with stuff. I will now show my true stupidity. I have to clean my house good before i'll let anyone in to clean.(Well she can keep it up.) I can work 15 minutes than rest an hour or so.Am proud to say,Am finished with living room and kitchen,halfway thru the pantry.Have been doing a little outside. Pulling weeds 5 minutes at a time.Picking up branches for my campfires.A campfire sings to my soul.Have done a little halloween-Thanksgiving decorating.
I was supposed to meet a woman yesterday to go to an Indian fall dance. She did'nt show so i went on to Russellville to Lowes and Wally World. Lowes has a small electric fireplace that looks so real. I am going to get it.I'll probably have to live on pinto beans and potatoes for the winter. But it will be worth it. I've always wanted a fireplace and i can work this out. It'll be my Christmas present to my self.
Yes i always decorate big for Christmas. I've alot of decorations stored. (I always buy decos after christmas when they go onsale.) I decorate every room in the house. Not outside tho, It's kinda hard to drive by a dead end road. I have an artificial spruce (6ft.)tree.I limit my tree decos to Nativity scenes,Angels,blue and silver and white balls.multicolored lights and snowflakes and icecicles. Than i have angels and real greenry in all the rooms. Anyone wanna come have Christmas with me? Everyone is welcome. I'll be ringing the bell for the Salvation Army. You all save your change for the SA Every little bit helps. The money will stay in your community.
I've written a book and i've a lot more to say but later.
love ya
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #8175793

Vickie, that is so sweet. Tell me more about the S.A., I don't know anything about it, except for Guys and Dolls! How do you mean, the money stays in the community?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #8180606

Jim, I can talk to Larry whenever ... we're both in the writers group. He's out of those canna seeds and rhizomes - you should D-mail him! (LarryR) He has tons of requests and he's in Iowa so I don't think he gets as much ummmm crop as you do. That's not the right expression.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

October 30, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8185841

It has been an insanely busy week. Stretched us all to our physical limits. After being very dry for the month, we had torrential rains. Some bags of Portland cement got damp meaning Kay had no choice but to turn it into concrete immediately.. O-o-ops, we need a new concrete mixer. She had to hand mix much of it. (A bag of Portland makes a LOT of concrete.) While Kay’s been striving to keep everything from washing away outside, Nadine and I took on the chaos of her art room and my workshop together. I’ll be teaching Nadine to sew and do small woodworking next week. She took Home Ec. And Shop courses in high school so it is more a matter of teaching her to use an advanced sewing machine and my woodworking tools. Helping J. and Kay’s eldest took a big bite out of our savings this year. We need to focus a while on recouping our financial losses. We’ve ironed out a plan for the coming year.

We celebrate Halloween in much the same way most people celebrate New Year’s Eve. . Living close to the land in this region, November 1st makes more sense. That is when it really starts to cool down here. This year’s harvest is in and we start preparing the ground for next season. It is the HORTICULTURAL New Year for us. January 1st seems more an artificial, arbitrary CALENDAR new year. (We don’t snub Jan. 1, of course. During that depressing time of year, we’ll take any excuse for a party we can find.)
Carrie, I guess it is a good thing we never tried to eat those canna roots. Lol. With the newest info, my guess would be that the original stand is Canna musafolia ‘Rubra’. Nadine delved deep into the confusing world of canna after she read Larry Retting’s article. The Flicker image labeled Canna musafolia ‘Rubra’ looks like those in the original stand of dark leaf canna.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/riz_reyes/4859057587
I’ll make sure the plants you get in spring come from the original stand. Those have leaves of a more solid burgundy. (Violet hued, when grown in deep shade.)
We could probably fill all the request Larry Retting gets. I’ll plant a few of the seeds I collected to be sure they aren’t sterile and are true to form. There are green leaf canna here they could conceivably cross with, but I've never noticed them blooming at the same time. It is a fairly safe bet they will have dark leaves, but I want to be certain. We have plenty of those to share even without seed. They spread by root so well Kay uses them for erosion control. The burgundy margins on our unstable, reverted type seem much wider than what I see in most photos, but that may be because they keep crossing back into the ‘Rubra’. I think I will move the original further away from its mongrel offspring. This variety is so variable. It might be possible to stabilize different variations. I’m somewhat confused by the images I see in Plant Files. It SAYS the leaves are burgundy, but shows green leaf canna in most of the images. Once we have a certain ID, maybe we should add some images to that entry. You think?
I built a mini-greenhouse this week from stuff I found beside the road on large pick-up garbage day and clear corrugated panels we had around. It should stay warm enough to keep us in salad greens all winter even without being heated.
What has everyone else been up to this week? (Jim)

This message was edited Oct 30, 2010 7:04 PM

Thumbnail by seacanepain

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2010
1:54 AM

Post #8186206

Gee Jim you guys do sound busy. I so envy you your gardening work.I was busy too. Bringing in my pot plants, deciding where to put them. Actually i was busy deciding where to put them and just scooting them around after boyfriend in law carried them in for me. He and i are starting to bond a little. Their TV is on the blink and he comes down to watch football and baseball with me. GO RANGERS!!! I've had a campfire in my dogpen several times. Been cleaning house! I am in general a total slob but when the housecleaning bug hits me, it's gonna be done right.15 minutes at a tme and a two hour rest. Oh for the good ole days of a full days work.Will be so glad when the house is clean enough to get a housekeeper.
I took off today and went to town. Had so much fun looking at Christmas stuff. If anyone has a Dollartree store around. They have some elegant tall(abt 12") clear glass candleholders for a dollar a piece. Figure they'll sell out quick. Had to do some walking and am already paying for it.
Those violet hued canna leaves sound breathtaking.
Is'nt Halloween actually Hallowed Eve making Nov.1st Hallowed day?
Am going of have some kind of a garden next year, but have to burn all the weeds off soon to prepare. It's so dry we should have burn bans tho i don't think we do. We need rain badly and none in sight. Glad you got some tho.
Jim shame on you. Plants do not have mongral offspring.LOL
They're simply unusual hybrids.
Better be careful showing Nadine how to sew. You might create a sewing monster and never see Nadine nor your sewing machine again. One can really do some good creating with a machine.

Carrie have i asked you if you have housplants in the winter? I don't remember you having any.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 31, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8186459

October 31st represents All Hallows Eve or Even, then November 1st is All Hallows Day, also called All Saints Day

Originated partly from the Christian All Saints Day and partly from the Celtic festival Samuin (Samhain), which was considered the Celtic New Year (there ya go, Jim), recognizing Summer's End or end of the harvest. PLUSSSS...
"The ancient Celts believed that the border between this world and the Otherworld became thin on Samhain, allowing spirits (both harmless and harmful) to pass through. The family's ancestors were honoured and invited home while harmful spirits were warded off. It is believed that the need to ward off harmful spirits led to the wearing of costumes and masks. Their purpose was to disguise oneself as a harmful spirit and thus avoid harm."

A fun holiday, even for old grumps like me. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #8187219

Debra, where is that quote from?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 31, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #8187269

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
Looks like that specific quote or information came from
^ Campbell, John Gregorson (1900, 1902, 2005). The Gaelic Otherworld. Black, Ronald (Ed.), pp.559–62. Edinburgh: Birlinn. ISBN 1-84158-207-7.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 31, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #8187293

I love Sunday afternoons. No work! The only thing better is 5th Sunday afternoons. They have a fellowship lunch after church every 5th Sunday. I’m stuffed full of wonderful food and there is no work to do. Life is good! lol
I made chocolate/cherry cake for the lunch, but my dishes still don’t hold a candle to some of the older ladies dishes. Miss Pearl’s coconut cake makes me think I’ve already died and made it to heaven. I want to be able to cook like that!
Yes, Debra, your sister should be grateful she wasn’t flipped out of bed. Once, after an entire bus load of hungry customers showed up in addition to the normal lunch hour crowd, I had nightmares for weeks about trying to keep up with orders)
There are lots of different civilian jobs on post. It turns out this area still has the same army recruiter it did when I was in high school. (I was considering going into the army then.) He was at the job fair and still remembered me. . I will start out applying at the restaurants and PX/BX and commissary. (I think the Army uses PX (Post Exchange) and the Airforce uses BX (base exchange.) I probably need to study up on stuff like that so I at least sound like I know what I’m doing. It would be good to keep in mind that despite all the aircraft, it is an Army base and there is some USUALLY good natured rivalry between the different branches of the service.
I’d better get my mask on. Wouldn’t want my ancestors to find me. I’m descended from highland Scotts. Those folks who allegedly painted themselves blue before going into battle and celebrated their victories by drinking mead from vessels made from their enemies skulls. Not sure I would want to encounter some of my more distant ancestors.
Carrie, I will pay attention to what temp it is here when the cannas sprout in spring. We will mail them up when it gets to that temperature in your area. That should work out so that they have time to flower for you. The dark leaf types flower fairly early in the year. July/August. PJ says I have to help him with his thinking because of the Tramadol. Man, are we in trouble! Maybe, half a brain between us.
Vickie, I think we are going to simplify our Christmas decorating this year. MK suggests I take the storage bins full of lights to the Mission Store. (I might keep a strand or two of the LED type for the archway into the children’s garden.) PJ says his days of stringing Christmas lights are over. (He has an appointment coming up with VA services to find the right w/c for his needs.) Mama Kay prefers the flicker and scent of candles and she has plenty of those. The original Christmas lights, I guess. It is a good move from an artistic perspective since Amargia’s overall look is rustic. Besides, the money they save on the electric bill can go toward my Christmas present. ;-) ~Nadine~

Photo: Look into my eyes. Give me all of your candy corn.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #8187756

lol. What a good idea. I'll be sure to make lots and lots of Banana Cream Pies over the holidays. I have a BIG family.
Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #8188695

I've been craving PUMPKIN pie like you wouldn't believe. I don't even need the crust! Maybe I'll make pumpkin pudding or something like that.

Halloween was a non-event up here - no more little kids live on our street, but lots live a few streets over, so there were (apparently) tons'o'kids up there and NONE down by us.

My 5'8" 16 yo DD#2 insisted on going out (I told her she was too old) but by the time she and her friends had finished the pizza ,only big scary kids were out , She says houses would turn their lights out as they approached. We did get one kid, a mid-teenish un-costumed lad who just silently held out his bag for candy, no "trick-or-treat" or any of that childish nonsense.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #8189199

Jim would probably like that pumpkin pie too. I am making pumpkin chili and he isn't too keen on the idea. It is a hard sale for first timers, but it taste better than it sounds. Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 1, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8189233

Kay, what goes in the chili?

Debra

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #8189452

It is basically just turkey chili with a couple cups of pumpkin puree in it. It has a lot of variations, but here is a good recipe to work from.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Turkey-Chili/Detail.aspx
The pumpkin mostly just gives the chili a rich texture. It is a good way to slip veggies into the diet of unsuspecting carnivores. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #8189567

Oh, of course, I won't tell. Like putting a can of tomato soup in a cake, except w/out the sugar, salt and MSG!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #8189595

You've got it, Carrie. Although, I don't think I've ever had that tomato cake.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #8189607

"Mystery Cake," Joy of Cooking. I think.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
11:49 PM

Post #8189745

ALL RIGHT!! People after my own heart, I slipped veggies and fruit into alot of my deserts when i was feeding kids. I guess mostly apple sauce. Have been thinking today, I'd like to bake some cookies.
I plan on trying that pumpkin chili. I dearly love pumpkin pie and usually have some pumpkin on hand.I substitute sweet potatoes for pumpkin sometimes.
I saw some fruit cake the otherday and i love that too. Of course the only one in the family that does.I have never made one, I always buy a small one for Christmas.And a box of chocolate covered cherrys.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #8191034

Now I don't like chocolate covered cherries but I DO like dried apricots and dates and coconut and all that other good stuff. Doesn't always agree with my delicate inner workings, but it tastes good going down!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 2, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #8191059

I think I’ve identified both the butterflies in the pics at the beginning of this thread. The one in Debra’s photo is probably a Pipevine Swallowtail. (Assuming it was a dusty purple on top.) The one Papa Jim photographed on the luffa flower is a Gulf Fritillary. I’ve decided to save Mama Kay the trouble offinding a new home for Butterflies of North America. It is going in MY bookshelf.
I will make MK a Mystery Cake just so she can say she tried it. That recipe dates from the late 20’s or 30’s. I can’t believe she’s never eaten it. I like the newer chocolate version, but I’d wager MK will like the original spice cake version best. Vickie, she is one of those rare individuals who actually eat fruitcake too. lol. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8192632

Me, me, I will!!! Jumping up and down (virtually) and waving hands in the air!!!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #8194083

If you ask questions of those who disparage fruit cakes, you usually find they were exposed early in their fruit cake experience to a “faux fruitcake”. One of those made with that make believe fruit you see in grocery stores around the holidays. I’m sure you’ve seen it. That impossibly bright colored candied “fruit”. I’ve been seeing it for many years. But I still don’t know what some of it is meant to imitate. The neon green stuff is especially puzzling. I can’t think of anything edible that is naturally that shade of green. It sort of looks like someone rolled lime Jell-O Jigglers in sugar. That can NOT be considered fruit and any cake made with it does not count as a REAL fruitcake in my HUMBLE (lol) opinion. I think it is those “faux fruitcakes” that give fruitcake its bad reputation. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2010
1:12 AM

Post #8195360

Kay you may be right. Not to mention the dry excuse for the actual cake in between the fruit. When i'm forced to buy from box stores, I pour brandy over it and let it set a week or so.
Last summer when my therapest hypnotised me, I kept seeng this bright green light. Now i know i was seeing green fruit from a fruit cake. LOL
I've been going over my receipes tonight. Have i ever given you guys the receipe for cooking a Buffalo?
Am going to look up Mystery cake on Cooks.com and see what i come up with.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 6, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #8197341

My new tree peony, Shima-Nishiki, is in the ground. Had some buds on it, so fingers crossed our weather stays warm enough for a little root to get established. Colder than normal this morning. Some light frost on the grass. SUPPOSED to be a warmer than usual winter. We'll see...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56117/

Had one of those voices that kept telling me to go to Lowes after work last night. Didn't want to, I worked later than usual and I was tiiiiiirred and I had to be back here at 7:30AM...whinewhine. Went anyway because that voice wouldn't stop pushing. Saw they have 1/2 off all perennials. Picked up four more of the quart size White Swan Echinacea that I got last week for $2.24 each. Think the price was actually supposed to still be $2.24 (from $4.47). Clerk rang them up at $1.12 each. Took them out to the car, arguing with myself the whole way. Lost the argument. Went back in and bought four more...LOL So now I get to find places for eight of them, plus three clusters of red Lilies from the clearance rack...there went the new porch light that I meant to get this weekend. (biggrin)

Debra

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 6, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #8197865

(what will be) Really red Lilies and creamy White Swans. :-) Busy day tomorrow. Have six packages of bulbs to plant, these lovelies, dig and move the entire "outfield" of Iris in the front corner bed, divide and replant 1/2 of them on the West side of the house, dig the entire east side colony of Iris and move to the "outfield," plant two red Daylilies (can't remember anymore which ones they are, LOL), an Arctic Queen Clematis, and a Mighty Mouse Hosta. Have one of the work kids and his younger brother coming at 8:00AM. Hmm, yes, I do believe they will be the ones wielding the garden fork and shovel whilst I sit serenely on the front steps sipping my hazelnut-flavored coffee and watch them sweat...

Think I will rip out the Mums I planted last year that are supposed to be warm peachy-yellow and are acid-uglier-'n-Mamaw's-mule yellow instead. Too bad because they are spreading nicely to fill in that spot. But time to try something else there instead.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #8198459

Debra, I’ve decided to satisfy my hunger for pretty flowers by moving in next door to you. ;-) I could give a completely new slant to that “borrowed landscape” concept the garden designers are always talking about. lol. Then, I could come over and borrow a cup of that hazelnut coffee to top it off?
I didn’t do much today. I must have pinched a nerve in my back this morning. I now have an entirely new level of respect for those who endure chronic pain and don’t get snappy and whine all the time. Blindness is easier. It can be frustrating, but, with the exception of glaucoma, it doesn’t hurt. I’m using a walker and feeling my age.
On the upside, the 5’ x 5’ greenhouse box Jim made is set up and seems to work well. We just have to remember to open the door (one entire side of the box) on sunny days. I put a large pot of English cucumbers in it, in addition to the greens. I will be interested to see if that works. Harvested the last few watermelons. Nadine was inspired by a recent DG article and is going to try and make watermelon vinegar. lol. Living with a foodie is always interesting. I haven’t had that Mystery Cake yet, but I had Milk Cake today. She wanted to put it on the Thanksgiving menu. It tastes wonderful. Like an unbelievably rich and moist Sponge Cake. Unfortunately, a large number of people would not be able to eat it at Thanksgiving. It contains sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, whole milk, coconut milk and whipped cream. Native Americans are USUALLY very lactose intolerant. (My aunt told me, back in the 40’s or 50’s, the Zuni DID use the dry milk the government issued to them. They mixed it into the clay used to make pottery. lol.) We will put Milk Cake on the Christmas dinner menu, when it is a crowd that has no issues with milk.
Carrie, watch those Ham & Egg lantana seeds. They are viable. I found some volunteer plants today. A few were even in bloom.
Vickie, honest-to-goodness buffalo, or Buffalo wings? I wonder if I could get buffalo or beefalo meat for Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving here has a twist. We focus less on the pilgrims and more on the natives who helped teach them to survive. A hold-over tradition from my mother. We usually have venison, but my brothers are even older than I am. They are not doing as much hunting as they once did. I’m not sure where I’m going to get the deer this year. I might try a beefalo. They have beefalo ranches in N. FL. Have you heard of anyone raising actual buffalo out that way? Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2010
2:15 AM

Post #8198661

There,s a couple of ranches over in Okla that raise Buffalo. But none around here.I'll post the Buffalo receipe in the next post.
Oh Kay, My nephew has an abundance of venison and has offered me some. Wish i could get some to you.He hunts with bow and arrow and gun both. Bow season is open here now.There's a bird sanctuary on the Ark. river that allows some bow and arrow hunting for deer every year,But only in tree stands. Paul swears the deer never look around for people but always up.
Do you grow sweetpotatoes in your area? We have a sweetpotato distibutor in Clarksville and can get sweetpotatoes fairly cheap sometimes.
Guess Nadene has given me the cooking bug. I made several meatloaves and cornbread tonight.Then chopped up greenpeppers and celery to freeze.
Debra, You're Lowes are much more plant friendly than ours are. They have plants but just not that much and all is gone now. They have all their Christmas stuff in their indoor plant section.and Norfalk pine outside.Think i'll move in somewhere nextdoor to you too. But we'll have to go to Jacksonville every spring to the greenhouses down there to shop for plant goodies.
Sheri, Saw you had some storms your way a few days ago. Is everything ok with you? Have you heard anymore from scraps? I do worry about her.
Everyone have a great day.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #8199201

Was SUPPOSED to be on a plane to Cancun right now! Grrrrr. DH calls from work and says "can we be free Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed-Thu? To go somewhere warm with DD#2?" So I cancelled all my MD appts (rescheduled, actually, but who's counting? They are MONTHS later now). Now he's not sure.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 7, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #8199266

You have my permission to kill him.

If I were there I'd do it for you. I have a splitting headach which I had almsot all night while trying to sleep. I'm in a good mood to kill somebody.

kb
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 7, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #8199495

Okay, I'm whupped and I didn't even get past the Iris and Cannas to take care of any bulbs or plants or nuttin...even with two boys helping! Had no idea how many dadgum Iris can clump up from one little bitty bulb. Here is the bulb pile that was discarded, along with the debris pile of Canna leaves and nasty grasses and stuff that had choked them out. One of my employees wants Canna and I gots plenty, so we're "sharing." LOL Had a Texas Sage in the mix, too, that was not happy in its location and my guys' mom wanted. Turned out to have morphed into three shrubs and I couldn't tell because it was all covered up. I haaaaaatte that weedy grass.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 7, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #8199499

One of the boy's did this side all by himself. Not bad for a rookie. Even if they don't bloom because it is so shady, there will be foliage on that side for the first time since I bought the place.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 7, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8199517

I replanted these myself. The yellow and purple were moved to the west side of the house. These are the Immortality, Orange Harvest, a wonderful chocolate-colored one, and some unknowns. Will have to wait for Spring to know which is which, but then I can move 'em around if needed.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 7, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #8199530

Left a clump of red Canna and the little Canna clump, I think, is an orange dwarf. It has never bloomed and I forget what I planted. Will be moving both soon as I figure out where. Also left a stretch of yellow Siberian Iris. It will be okay until later this Fall or even until Spring while I work on cleaning out all the crud. The Rose of Sharon on the far right will be going to the boys' mom come Spring. She wasn't ready to dig a hole that big with all the Iris and shrubbery coming her way this morning. :-) Thinking about having the kids build me about four five-foot long, three-tier raised beds. I have a project in mind that will need the space if it comes to fruition. We're going to experiment on the materials. Cinder block should work better than wood, but we'll see what goes on sale or can be scavenged. Their dad is in construction and might be able to find some recycled material for me. Overall, I am very happy with what we got done today. Time for shower, jammies, and channel surfing.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 7, 2010
11:07 PM

Post #8200331

Debra, I think the cottage look works well with your house A good style for someone so ENTHUSIASTIC about plants too. lol. There is always a way to squeeze a new plant in without messing with the overall look.
Bummer, Carrie. We want pics if you do manage to make it. BTW, I've been shopping on line for fragrant daylileis. I thought I remembered you saying you once had a lot of Stella D'Oro. Ever notice they had a scent?
Vickie, I'm on the lookout for a digital camera for you. Many people are upgrading this time of year. If I can't travel to your mountains, at least I can experience them vicariously on our forum.
Kay has apologized over and over today for any times she may have sounded impatient with my limitations. She is in a LOT of pain and walking a mile in my shoes, so to speak. I hate seeing her in pain, but I believe this experience will increase our understanding and appreciation for one another. With Kay completely out of commission, I know Nadine and I have quickly developed an appreciation for all the little things Kay does in the course of a normal day.
Things are so busy around here in spring, we are trying winter sowing this year. We are also trying to start shrubs and trees we want from seed. Kay has managed not to bite anyone's head off because she can still plant seeds, make labels, research plants and catch up on general garden related paperwork.
The extra strength Sleepy Time tea is beginning to do it's work. Night all...or good morning all, if you want to get technical. :-) (Jim)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #8205678

Let me make this perfectly clear, I am NOT going soft on anyone! lol. I apologized for the forcefulness with which I push sometimes. Not THAT I push. I see pushing Jim and Nadi to reach their potential as part of my job. Reining me in when I need it is their job. I think that’s why we can work as a group. They are aware they need to be pushed at times to get themselves moving on things and I know I need help putting the brakes on sometimes. Don’t know if that sort of inter-dependence is a good thing or a bad thing from a high minded perspective, but it works from a practical standpoint. And, I’m the practical type.
Debra, Jim is still educating himself on garden design and as he will tell you himself, he still has a lot to learn. From what I’ve been able to pick up, without really seeing pictures, your garden sounds more like the “New American” style. I don’t like all those established labels much myself, except as convenient shorthand to description. But, if I had to give it some sort of label, I would say “New American” style. I start feeling confined when people start putting labels on what I do.
Your garden sounds too organized for “cottage” and that style tends to lean on straight species, not named cultivars. Only the sheer number and variety of plants makes it sound cottage-like to me. Do you have a certain overall style you’re aiming for? I like the plants themselves too much to ever be a good designer.
I planted some foxglove penstemon ‘Husker’s Red’ for both Jim and his hummingbirds. The red foliage should please the man and the flowers should please the hummers. It is marginal here. Heat wise, but I wanted to give it a try. Also trying some native columbine (columbine Canadensis) in a partially shaded space between the woods and the w/c garden. I think I want to go with wild plants that can handle a little shade so it will feel more like part of the woods than the garden. That’s where the kids like to have campfires so I’m hoping it will give it more of a camping out feel and we can still keep an eye on them from the kitchen window.
Nadi and Jim are buried up in college finance paperwork today. If they can get things done quickly enough, Nadine will be able to start her classes next week, instead of next semester.
Back to browsing on-line catalogs.. Have a good night, All. Kay*

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 11, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #8207030

I IS a college student again! lol. Thanks Mama Wyrm and Papa Bear.
Will be driving PJ up to Tuskeegee tomorrow to get the old bear started on getting his wheelchair. Classes begin Monday.
Are you feeling okay aftter last week's gardening marathon, Debra? ~Nadine~
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 11, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #8207081

Oh, Vickie, I meant to tell you about the 90-something year old man who once gardened here. If you ask him his secret for longevity and health, he would say "a sweet potato a day." lol. I think he was serious. No one knew as many sweet potato recipes as he did! Snag those sweet potatoes!!! ~N~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 11, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #8207213

Yahoo, Nadine!!! That is wonderful news. :-) Very happy for you. I am doing fine--much to my surprise. Played hooky from work yesterday afternoon and got in another three hours digging to take advantage of tonight's rain. Also supposed to rain all day tomorrow, which will be good. AND I get this Saturday off, so the 40 or so bulbs still left to plant can go in the ground and still leave me a sofa spud day.

Kay, I would say the "pushing" answer is that God can't steer a parked car. LOL Sometimes we have to help that starter crank over. I had been laid off for nine months before getting this job. My now-boss' job seeking motivation was to ask if I wanted paper or plastic. Or he'd say "Want fries with that?" Of course, he ended up hiring me himself, so I guessss it worked...? :-) There is no formal design plan for the yard. Certain plants or structures are here because they remind me of someone. My mother and godfather were both baseball fans, so the front corner bed is shaped like a baseball field and some of the flowers are Cubs blue. My paternal grandmother had Iris and Peonies, so I do, too. Have been dreaming for years of what I could do with my own place, which is why I have Roses even though they need some water. The west fence panels were built to put a barrier between my yard and the neighbor's without being too obstructive. But a lot of what goes in is for play just to see what happens. From Christmas garden catalog gift certificates--can try something I would normally consider too expensive. Or from the garden center clearance racks at the box store; if it doesn't make it, I'm not out much. Do look for drought-tolerant, disease resistant, perennial, and little clean up because I'm lazy. And is it good for bees, butterflies, and/or birds because I like them. Other than that, trying to let the house and yard tell me what to do. Most of the ground is heavy clay, but some parts are wonderful friable soil from years of leaf mulch and there is one good-sized patch that is really sandy and slightly sloped. The whole place is mostly shaded, but has a good amount of morning sun. Gives lots of room to experiment and it is so much FUN. (big grin)

Jim, Sleepy Time is a favorite of mine. :-)

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2010
11:22 PM

Post #8207514

Well i have a cat helping me and she just deleted all i had written.She loves computers. Just told her i'd make soup of her.Really scared her. She's meowing in my face.
Debra you are really having fun with your yard. If your guys want a working vacation in the Ozarks. I have a fire tower they can climb about a mile away and can see forever.A few fishing and swimming holes around. camping areas galore. I do the same kind of anyplant i can get gardening too.
Today i found a real treasure at the Methodist Thrift Store ...A beautiful ceramic black Nativity scene. I 've got lots of them but this is my first one with dark skinned people. It'll go in a place of honor this year. I signed up to ring the bell for Sal. Army. I have to SIT and do it but no one minds.I ring that bell with inthuseasm (can't spell) Also wish everyone Merry Christmas, God bless you , Felis Navidad or Happy Quanza. Can you tell I love Christmas. Will start the day after Thanksgiving.
I'll get my sweet potatoes tomorrow, If the creeks don't rise. We're due for Debras rain late tomorrow. Thanks Debra, We really need it. Am making about 6 meatloafs tonight. to freeze and give away.
Hugs and prayers Kay that you're back up to par and keeping everyone on their toes.
Jim, The way you describe yours and Kays relationship is so much like my DH and mine. He was the one with common sense and kept me on the right track. Sure do miss him sometimes.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #8208040

Man, Vickie, if MY DH has the balls to leave earth first I will be that mad, because we never spend even a night apart if we can help it. My dear sweet man ... loves me and I love him.

Jim and Kay, if it feels INTERdependent to both of you, then I think it is. It's hard to tell where one is lame and the other is blind (literally or not; you're not the only couple like you I know) so you both need each other as well as want and love each other. But if you had an aide doing everything the other did that you needed, wouldn't you still want and love each other? I thought so... voila, true love.

I went to New Orleans with DH and without DD#2 and had a lovely time. The thing was, I kept falling asleep! I think a W/C ride over cobblestones at breakneck speed is exhausting! Jeez... Add more alcohol than I'm accustomed to in a year and you get one very groggy Carrie. Anyway, I'm glad you didn't miss me too too much. Now I have to COMPLETE my article about Enterprise AL and their curious statue, so don't think I'm ignoring you.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 13, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #8209914

Aiiii, Vickie, I am, I am having soooo much fun. Today, put in Akebono, Floradale, and Lily-flowered Burgundy Tulip bulbs, bi-color Muscari bulbs, the two remaining Daylilies, and a Baptisia Solar Flare. Then moved a pink Veronica to a sunnier spot, bought two more White Swan Echinaceas and put those in, along with three tall red-pink Dianthus ($0.48 each!!), shoveled up the accumulated Cedar Elm leaves from the porch area and tossed them in the baseball bed (yeah, I know-I will have a gazillion more tree seedlings to yank next year), pulled some weeds and nastygrass from the 'hell strip' along the street, AND finally figured out a good place for the Arctic Queen Clematis. Put it in the ground before I ran out of steam. :-) Was the first "cool" day we've had this Fall (it's 59 degrees right now), felt good. Bought rooting hormone and seed-starter soil to try cuttings from the Coleus and Geraniums. Think I will do that tomorrow, though. I'm sunk for the rest of today. LOL Did put a couple of chickens in to bake late this morning, so I have some ready-made supper to go with jammies and television. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2010
1:51 AM

Post #8210448

We did'nt have a frost,The sweet potatoes were gone before i could get them. Does anyone think after 70 years one could learn not to procrastinate and could relearn how to spell.LOL
I put out one little Nativity scene. Am i rushing the season? My Christmas cactus is not showing signs of buds. They usually are by now.
One day i had beautiful colored leaves on my trees. Today they are bare.Winter is here for 3 or 4 months. BUMMER!!! Have to put drapes up so i can't see the bare trees. DD tells me "But mom we have some evergreens." But not enough. Boo Hoo!!! Am in a Granny Goon Grumpy mood. My fireplace stove will probably be sold to someone else before it even comes.
Got my pear,apple,cranberry sauce made.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 14, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8210868

Vickie, Ms. Maxine has the right words for all situations and would be a perfect Granny Goon. Hope this one makes you smile.

Debra

('Maxine' by John Wagner for Hallmark)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8211765

LOL. I'm going to have to start playing the Florida lottery again. I hear where you're coming from, Vickie, I've had a lot of Granny Goon days lately. Certainly lost a few post and I don't even have a mischeivous cat to blame it on. I've started writing my post on MicroSoft Word and doing a copy and paste. (That is why you will routinely see "edit" on many people's post.)
We went through a place called Brundidge on our way to Jim’s physical therapy appointment. The city streets were already decorated for Christmas. Our local Christmas Fair is near there so Christmas is a grand production in that area. You would have been right at home, Vickie. To have everything in place by the time December rolls around, I guess they have to start early. My two GSs are already talking about when the fair starts and riding the Christmas train again. It was a bold and clever idea on the part of the officials in that cluster of little towns. Despite being off the beaten path, it draws a crowd. It brings business into an economically depressed area and they appear to have a blast doing it. I love Christmas shopping at all the little craft booths. Jim doesn’t mind being sighted guide as long as I keep him well supplied with funnel cake and hot cocoa. lol.
Vickie, do they have ways to make sure the SA bell ringers don’t get too cold? Two people trading places or something. Or, do they let the Salvation Army workers do their thing just inside the doors in colder climates? (You always see them just OUTSIDE the doors here.) I can remember digging out my change just because the bell ringer was enduring the cold to do the work. But, that is a fund raising tactic for young bell ringers. lol. Jim said he wouldn’t mind doing that if they gave him a polar bear suit to wear or something. Cold makes his aches and pains worse.
He should be getting a standard wheelchair within the next week or so. They didn’t have one on hand that would work for someone his height and weight. The scooter will take a little longer. He has to appear before the VA board and make a formal request and explain why he needs one. The usual bureaucracy, in other words. I’m glad we went through a professional therapist to do it. I would not have thought of things like the easiest controls for a left-handed person. Like most southpaws, he has long adapted to a world designed for righties. But, why adapt if you don’t have to.
I am jealous of the evergreen selection available to those even a zone north. I see so many gorgeous conifers I would love to add. The most interesting ones all seem to have Zone 7 as a southern limit. I do have a larger selection of broadleaf evergreens than 7- folks have to choose from so I’ve been educating myself about those.
I found a good source for Michelia champak tree seeds. Its flowers are a major ingredient in “Joy” and a few other very high-end perfumes and the scent can be picked up from quite a distance. It isn’t hardy outside here, but that is one I will not mind taking in for the winter.
A DGer offered me seeds from Black Locust for their scent. I know they have a scent most people find pleasing, but I’m not familiar with it. It isn’t invasive in this area and I have the room so I think I’ll try it. Are any of you familiar with the scent? I know it is a fairly common tree in other places.
Debra, you've inspired me to go hunting for peonies that can take the heat again. I found a yellow one once (can't remember the cultivar name) It looked good, but MAN was it expensive! Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 14, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #8211978

Kay, High Noon tree peony and Bartzella Itoh Peony are rated to Zone 8. High Noon sometimes reblooms in Fall and Bartzella is supposed to have a "spicy" fragrance. There are a few others, those two are just the most prevalent. Hope you find something you like.

Jim, what bumper sticker do you want for the chair? :-)

Kroger has started playing Christmas carols on the PA and the box stores have all their decorations out, including a 5'10" dancing Santa. I swear, coming up on it from behind, I thought it was a person!

Debra

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #8215869

Debra, I believe 'Bartzella' is the yellow peony I remember. Thanks.
Do you already have this one, Vickie? Patsy has promised me some cuttings once it is thru flowering. I think Thanksgiving cactus are Schlumbergera truncata, while Christmas cactus are Schlumbergera x buckleyi, but , in my experience people who collect one also tend to collect the other.
Jim's bumper sticker choice at the moment is the one that says: " When things aren't going right, just go left." K*

Thumbnail by Amargia

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #8217897

I had forgotten Jim is left handed. Course you all know Jim and i are the only ones in our right mind.
Kay SA volunteers are on their own. Several springs ago i found a long fake fur lined coat on sale at Roamans and gabbed it quick. It keeps me very warm.Warm mittens and socks too. Last year and this they are more organized and i only do 3 hours at a time. Afew years ago another woman and i were it and we had all day long. Since i'm the only one who sits in a chair, I suspect i get more money. Back before i got worse healthwise, I'd sing and semi dance around, even now it's hard to get around my Merry Christmas etc without putting something in the kettle This is the only way i know to give something where it is needed. I can't afford to give money but time i've lots of. Everytime someone puts in a little change, I think all right! another can of veggies,fruit or whatever. I used to feel critical of well dressed people who walked on by, till a lady stopped once and told me she wrote a check to SA every year and she always used credit cards and never had change. Talk about feeling like the wrong kind of a judge.

I've heard of Black Locust around but can't place it. Can't find my tree book. It probably sneaked over with the geography books.Or my cat hid it!

My cactus used to be Thanksgiving and Christmas but they both bloom the same time now.And neither is showing signs of bloom.I'll send you some starts too.
There is bound to be a connifer for Z8.
Vickie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #8219324

Vickie, not only sounds warm, but very Christmas-y.
Patsy does really well with houseplants. I’m not so good with them, but I missed playing with plants when I couldn’t get outside. There will inevitably be more days like that in my future so I would like to become better at caring for them. Mother-in-law tongues and aloes are just about the only houseplants I’ve managed to keep alive. Those are no-brainers. I figure since it is a Thanksgiving CACTUS, I might be able to manage it. Forgetting to water is how I do in most houseplants.
Nadine is collecting seeds and plants for a “taku” garden in the middle of the bamboo grove. That is what she has chosen to call her Japanese vegetable garden. I think “taku” means something like “to cook.” I made my contribution by planting some Camellia sinensis. Not the showiest camellia, but it is the source of the green tea she loves.
Jim finally finished the lattice work on the deck that will keep the kids and dogs from jumping off. The beautiful weather made Tater forget how old she is. She jumped the four feet or so to the ground and hurt her hip. The lattice should save us some vet visits and the price of cortisone shots. That is getting to be one spoiled dog! Jim got a new back massager for his b’day. He started using the old to give Tate massages. lol. I once had big, bad farm dogs. Now, I might as well have poodles. Fenny sleeps with a plushy toy and Tate gets massages. K*
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 19, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #8221216

Since we have a somewhat similar climate to the coastal Pacific Northwest., we are going to try some conifers from that region. (Noble fir, Douglas fir and Italian stone pine. Need I say I added the last one. Yummy pine nuts. Chocolate vine is an evergreen here so I'm doing a sales pitch for adding it. Should be an easy sell to MK. Chocolate fiend that she is.
Speaking of Mama Kay, Tater-dog is not the only one who forgets her age on nice days. I came home from a job interview to find her on the roof, cleaning pine straw out of the rain gutters. Just because you CAN do a thing, does not necessarily mean you SHOULD do that thing. Her old joints might be able to take the work, but my young heart CAN NOT take seeing her do the work! No cheesecake for HER tonight! ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #8221305

Nadine, My #1 question is ...What is chocolate vine? Did i know and have forgotten? Will it grow in Z6 and where can i get one?
Poor Nadine, I understand your problem. You will probably come outside one day to find Kay at the top of your chocolate vine trying to figure how to get down,
Kay, Christmas cactus is easy to care for too and will take some neglect. I put mine outside in the shade every spring and bring them in every sept. The change in light is supposed to make them decide to bloom. Our Walmarts have some in now.Tho i can send you some starts after the new year.
Dogs after haveing been given an inch know how to get a mile. I bet your dogs will still be ferocious attack dogs if the need arises.My Dillen surprised me one day after taking a dislike to a salesman. I know my cats are mean enough to be guard cats.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8222039

I bought a Christmas/Thanksgiving cactus at home depot the other day. I thought it had red buds but now I think they're dark pink. I don't like it as much as I like the one in my memory, lol!

OK: practical advice needed! I take a handful of pills in the morning, with breakfast, and another handful at bedtime. Needless to say, the morning ones include those meds which are stimulating, arousing, awakening, you know, and the bedtime ones are carefully calibrated bunch of muscle relaxants, pain meds, anti-spasticity meds, anti-clonus stuff, all of which leads to "excessive somnolence" which is exactly why I take it at bedtime. I also take OTHER pills in the middle of the day with a snack.

Each week as three pill containers and each pill container is either white (breakfast, MTWTFSS), aqua (snack, MTWTFSS) or dark blue (MTWTFSS). Each box is labeled in addition to being color-coded. So what DH did was take the pills out of the dark blue (bedtime) F slot and give them to me with breakfast. I should have checked, but taking something like 11 pills at breakfast, 7 in the afternoon and 12-13 at bedtime every day for years and years gets pretty dull. The generics change color all the time yadda yadda oh well I didn't catch it. Everybody feels guilty and bad.

But I'm ready for a NEW, IMPROVED system! Suggestions?

This message was edited Nov 20, 2010 3:38 PM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 20, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #8222285

Would it be feasible to keep the color-coded boxes, and also store each in a place associated with the time of day to be taken? Something like morning pills with the orange juice and coffee, snack pills with the Bluebell ice cream and brownies, and bed time pills with the wash cloths or toothpaste?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #8222530

Hmmmm. They're all in the bathroom now... Hmmmmmmm. That merits thinking about. It seems like contributing more to the entropy around here, but let me consider that.

Of these eleven or so pills, there are six that I take at each instance, and the other 2-7 are what vary. I can tell, if it's just 7 pills, if the purple one is there or not or if the two knock-out pills are in or not. They're mixed in with the other 6 and I just chug the whole mouthful. I'm thinking I should have TWO sets of boxes, one for the pills that stay the same and one for the pills that vary. Hmmmm.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 21, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #8223863

I think anything that would be a mnemonic for time of day and contents of box, maybe?

Snapdragons.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 21, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #8223933

Nutty bulbs. Think mebbe they were planted too shallowly? LOL The 79 degree temps are helping, too. Two degrees from record-breaking and windy with it. Lovely, lovely. Spent as much time as I could outside today even with a stubborn cold. Gonna be a real shock to everything when we have our first freeze Friday morning. Planted two more Scabiosas and two Fire Red Salvias today. Put the Salvias by the white Echinacea and red Gomphrena. Fingers crossed. :-) Took cuttings from a neon Pink/Red Geranium and three Coleus. Trying my hand for the first time at rooting and carrying them indoors over Winter.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #8224599

Carrie, It took me years but i got my doctor to finally arrainge my meds for nights only. I always was forgetting the morning ones, but never the night ones. So he gave up and i only take mine once a day now. I know i should take them twice a day.but i decided a couple years ago that my life was not going to be ruled by meds. No .I don't advise anyone else to do that. I did try putting my morning meds by the coffee maker for awhile. Decided it was amazing what i would'nt see in the AM.
Debra, We're having warm weather too. Maybe a sign of a warm winter.
Put my little Christms tree up.And 2 more Nativity scenes.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8225220

Vickie, I can't do that.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #8225947

Which one Carrie? I was a very bad girl and did'nt do several things.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #8226028

I can't put my pills all different places. Oh, I mean I can't take all my pills at once -- they have to be divided up.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2010
10:38 PM

Post #8226433

Jim keeps all his meds in their bottles and keeps them in a backpack. He doesn't take quite as many as Carrie though. (7 morning, 3 noon, 3 evening, 6 at bedtime.) The only problem is if he can't remember whether or not he has taken a dosage. There is no easy way to check.
I thought I was safe leaving my meds by the coffee pot when there were no small children in the house. I mean, even if any of those adults have drug abuse issues, none of the meds I take could get anyone high. (NOT true, for the ones Jim takes.) Nadine has set me straight about my current medications and possible abuses.
She told me of a girl in her school who took her grandmother's thyroid meds and put asprin in the prescription bottle so they wouldn't be missed. For someone with normal thyroid function, thyroid supplement is like a super weight loss and pep pill. I've started putting my medication away when there is a lot of traffic through the house.
I don't know what I would do if I were ever to have a complex medication schedule. I would have to hire someone to keep it straight. I can't see labels so I mark the bottles of the four prescriptions I take with rubber bands to distinguish between them. I'm lucky so far. They are all once a day. There are large print/Braille pill boxes, Carrie. They are larger than most to acommodate the Braille and large print markings. You might want to check those out. The one I've seen was divided between day and night dosages and might be large enough to contain all the meds you take.
Bedtime! Bread has finally finished baking.. Have a good day, Everyone. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #8226920

Now, see, if Jim decanted into boxes and the Tuesday morning was still there, he'd know he hadn't taken it. That's how we got started on these boxes.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 23, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #8226978

Carrie, what about getting small LCD lights with timers? You could put one on each box and have them light up at set times. For example, the breakfast light would go on at 7:00AM and shut off at 9:00AM and so on.

Debra
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 25, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #8230266

Are there any signs, symbols, or shapes from your DH's work or interests that he would automatically associate with a time of day? You could paint them on the boxes or glue different tactile representations.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #8231836

I think I'm gonna split them up. That way I won't have to be so macho about swallowing 11 pills at once. If I'm taking 3 or 4 pills, I'll notice if they're the wrong ones. I even have a tray to take 28 (4 x a day, 7 days a week) separate pills a week, but it was never big enough. But the gabepentin, Colace, tramadol and one other which I can't remember are the same, three times a day.

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 26, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #8232150

Carrie, I once used those pill boxes divided into dosages. I have to take mine on the move with me though. The lid came off one time and dumped all my meds out in my travel pack. Not just one dosage compartment popped open. The whole top came off. What a mess! I would use them again if I could find one that would stay closed and intact despite being jostled around. If I can't find something like that I'll have to make it myself. In a Tramadol trance, it is hard to remember sometimes whether or not you took a dosage.
We spent Thanksgiving with the GC's. I saw this on the trip up and thought it was interesting. The moon, still visible at 9 a.m.
Hope everyone had a delicious Thanksgiving and are enjoying the long weekend. Was anyone brave (crazy?) enough to shop this Black Friday? (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 27, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8232479

Jim, Our office and retail store were open yesterday so I had an automatic shield against any stray impulse to dive into the chaos. :-)

Debra
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 27, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #8232853

They have Black Friday sales online now. I'm brave (crazy?) enough to do that anyway. It is those LONG BF checkout lines and the store parking fiascoes that get to me. ~Nadine~
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 27, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #8232981

Oh, I forgot, Vickie. You probably do know chocolate vine. It is just another name for a kind of fiveleaf akebia (a.k.a. raisin vine/akebia quinata.) You're in luck. I believe it is hardy to zone 5. I'll make sure MK gets her own chocolate vine.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8252427

I still have'nt heard of this plant. But i will look it up.
It's getting to be that season for cooking chocolate everything.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #8253267

OK, they ran the article one day early. Thank you, people of Armagia.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3060/

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #8258036

Since you lived for a time in Texas, Vickie, it might be Chocolate FLOWER you are remembering.
http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/aridplants/Berlandiera_lyrata.html
There will definitely be a "chocolate" section in the scented garden. Categorizing scents is a little harder than I thought it would be, but I'm still trying. I'm just putting those that overlap in more than one category.
Love the article, Carrie. I hope DG will start doing more regional articles. They are fun reads in addition to being informative. Most places have their interesting regional quirks when you scratch the surface. There is no end to the possibilities.
The doctor is treating Jim for pneumonia. I don't think I'm that bad, but I do have an appointment tomorrow. I just learned there is a pneumonia prevention shot you can get every few years. Duh.
Noticed this on the edge of the woods. I haven't got a positive ID on it yet, but I'm already sure it is a plant I'm going to domesticate for winter interest. I'm not seeing any berries on my holly this year. Kay* .

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #8258151

Do you have both boy and girl hollies?

I'm SO sorry Jim has pneumonia! I hope he has the kind that feels better soon! I went to my MD's office to see if I had pneumonia but the doc said just a VERY bad cold and gave me antibiotics. My temp's been erratic.

Kay, that's the highest praise!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 13, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #8258191

Wow, you guys are all just being hammered, aren't you. :-(

Kay, that might be Nandina

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #8258330

That must be the problem with the hollies in the yard, Carrie. Nadine says the wild tree hollies in the woods have lots of berries. I think the nurseries should give them blue and pink bows or something. :-)
I will check, Debra. There was a nandina growing nearby once that no one liked the look of. It might have found a place it liked better and could thrive. I might have to re-think my opinion of nandina. If that is what it is, it looks very different when it's in a place it really likes. Did this serious cold make it as far west as you are. I left all the outside faucets running slightly last night to keep pipes from bursting. Jim said it made for some interesting sights this morning.
Photo: Icy monkey grass Kay*

Thumbnail by Amargia

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 13, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #8258547

Kay, it was 27 for the low today, but no more below freezing temps for at least a week. Actually supposed to be 76 on Wednesday. We're doing pretty good. LaNina is supposed to bring our area a warmer, drier Winter. So far, it is. :-)

Debra
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 14, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #8260160

THANK YOU, Debra. You make my job around here easy. Nandina it is. It was hard to believe a plant could look so sad in one place with care and then do so well on its own in another place nearby. I'll take my care and placement cues from where it is naturally doing so well. I would never have chosen such a shady place for nandina before seeing how well this one is doing.
Carrie, I think I'll do business with trustworthy online nurseries for holly in future. They usually label them as male or female. I guess holly isn't cross fertile and we have too many different kinds and not enough plants of any one type.
Feeling much better today. How are you faring? Kay didn't have pneumonia, but I'm still glad she went in and got antibiotics. She wasn't getting any worse, but she wasn't getting better either. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #8260352

Lovely photo, but a little too true to life, Kay!

I'm being hammered, that's for sure. Debra, is your body temp and BP and pulse and stuff abnormally low? We've been taking my temperature every few hours and it goes from 97 up to 99. At 99 I feel like I'm almost dead. My BP is normally 90/50 (if the person taking it can even hear it).
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 15, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8262505

Ain't it the truth! ...about the monkey grass photo. I like Debra's flowers much better. :-)
How do you manage to keep functioning, Lady?! I imagine that would totally rob you of energy. All here hope and pray things will improve soon. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 15, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #8262542

Carrie, I've had high BP for 35 years. Temp is usually at 98.7. I wish I could send you some warm from down here.

Jim, happy to hear you and Kay are feeling better.

Here's a photo from yesterday. Crazy Clematis doesn't know it's mid-December. :-)

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 15, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8374003

Time to start the February shrub/tree plant and transplant parade. The kid...ahem, young man who moved the white Rose of Sharon to curbside for me on Sunday will be taking this lavender Rose of Sharon to his house. Need to move it to put in the tiered planters and his mom likes it. I started digging it up two days ago. Played hooky from work this afternoon and finished--I am sooooo pooped. Think I hurt myself, too. :-) Ordered a Pope John Paul II and a Peace rose from J&P. Going to try putting them in back with the Zepherine Drouhin. Have Clematis Duchess of Albany, Veronica's Choice, and Daniel Deronda coming, too. Might put a couple of them in with the roses, which will be at the base of the two Crape Myrtles I keep thinking I'll get rid of. Won't hurt to wait and see how they all do together. If it works, will be a nice living screen between my back porch and the across-the-alley neighbors. If it doesn't, welllll, I'll try sumpin else. LOL But, for the rest of tonight, I will be remote in hand watching the dog show, both NCIS, and My Man Godfrey.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8374502

I taped NCIS. Will watch it later.
I kinda remember "My Man Godfrey" I 'd like to see it again.
I need to defrost my Freezer.
Got my Homestead Farms daylilly catalog today. Had already been looking at the Daylillys online.I'd like to have some small ones.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 17, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8378379

Thanks, Debra. It was time to re-open "Practical Matters" for the season. I can't think of a better plant to start out the season with than a Rose of Sharon. That was the one flower my Dad always insisted on having around and looked after himself. The nice thing about getting honey bees is I now have a way to sell Kay on the idea of having more of them. Bees like them. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 18, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8378841

I do, too, and am happy the previous house owners put in the five trees. Keep thinking I'll order a blue one, but have managed to restrain myself so far. Prudent to wait until the tier planters are put in first. Thennnnnn watch me go!! LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8379782

Debra, you'll have so many pretty flowers! Lovely! We need a RoS when we retire and have time to fix up the back yard.

Debra, my MS is CHANGING! I'm not chronic stable, I'm chronic progressive. :( Instead of being cold all the time and never sweating (literally), now I'm hot and sweaty all the time! This is the winter DH bought me a parka, and a coat with a furry collar, and I am SO hot. Not outside when it's 3*, but the rest of the time, esp. at night. My neurologist blames some gland or something-or-other in my brain.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8379975

The pituitary gland, I would think. Body temperature and blood pressure are among the body functions it controls. I've studied that one because it also affects thyroid function. It helps me cope if I can understand what is going on. Life can be so bloody unfair! Hugs Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8380078

KAY, knowing whats happening inside helps me to cope too.Anyway i just like to know things. I use to have thyroid trouble and had to take meds for it,but not anymore. I think it was Thyroxin.
The mind is something else tho. Depression is hard to quantify. There are some people who still think it does'nt exist.
((((((Carrie)))))
Is any other country doing research on MS?
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 19, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8380356

Carrie, I don't know anything to say that might help. It is bloody unfair. So, from the post, I'm guessing he didn't offer any solutions? No meds for control?

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8381390

She's going to try to start me on the new oral med which I don't remember the name of, which Medicare only sometimes approves for progressive MS (it's not proven, but then what is?). If Medicare won't pay for it then I'll go back on Copaxone which is a once a day injection, hip hip hurray! I say "hip hip hurray" because the hips and thighs are really good IM injection sites.

Thanks for all the hugs. You guys are the greatest.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2011
1:31 AM

Post #8381829

Here's hoping for the new oral med. Are they doing research on the new med? Sometimes the company is looking for patients that will take new meds for trial studies.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8382446

I think the trials are done (and I wasn't eligible because I have the "wrong kind" of MS). Now they're just giving it to those of us with the wrong kind because they think it *might* help and nothing else does. Yes my fingers (and toes and eyes) are all crossed!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 20, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8383220

Discovered today that the hateful front yard grass froze up and pulls out easily. Don't think I got all the roots, so will be pulling up again when it greens out, but it was exciting. :-) Want to replace the entire front yard with a walkway from curb to front porch and the rest with buffalo grass or something like it.

Lowes clearance had six-packs of Pansy and Dianthus plugs marked at a quarter. Will see how they do in the newly cleared space. Trimmed up freeze damage on the Dutch Iris, planted the Dianthus by the Rose fence, planted the three Poppies, and the unidentified plant in a combo planter that overwintered on my porch.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 20, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8383360

Debra, I'm takeing my next vacation in your garden. Sounds more interesting than some botanical gardens. I'll even bring lettuce for your bunnies. lol. MK found another packet of a different kind of lettuce seeds today.
There's going to be lots of heavy equipment around this growing season. There is also some VERY big pines that are going to be felled. MK says she isn't going to risk losing a plant she has babied to some guy operating a grader who was inattentive for a few seconds or because a tree went down in an unexpected way and crushed things. The w/c garden, the cando container garden and my bee corner will be the only areas of real gardening this year. The focus elsewhere will be annuals and hard-scaping. New trees, shrubs and perennials will be sitting the season out in the nursery area. (We know better than to believe MK will be able to resist buying new shrubs and perennials.)
~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8383436

I want my vacation to include both your gardens.I sure want to plant something but know there is more winter coming yet. Think my creeping phlox may be greening up a little.
I completely understand Kay,s reasoning for her plants. I bet all of us feel the same way. I remember Sheri describing her adventures with some workmen in her yard.
I walked some again today and got the bright idea of getting SIL to place some of my benches along my path so i can sit and rest to be able to walk more. Maybe i should look into getting an elctric scooter. But somehow that seems like giving in to my own mobility too soon. Tho I'm very thankful for those at Walmart.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 21, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8384101

Nadine and Vickie and Carrie and Kay and Jim, you are all welcome to vacation at my house. Only one bathroom, but we can work around that, eh? LOL

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8384799

Is it an ACCESSIBLE bathroom? I'd love to, but I have to get DH to go along with the idea. Are you near a jetBlue city? The boys can use the back yard, lol!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 21, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8385139

Old house, narrow doorways and halls. Does have a sturdy grab bar under the shower. Young daughter of previous owners used wc. But that doesn't count as accessible if you can't get TO it. :-) Closest hub is Austin, which is a four hour drive from here. The boys can definitely use the backyard. Screened by trees, garage, privacy fence, and house so nooo one would know. LOL
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 21, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8385339

I've always heard it is female dogs that are responsible for dog spots in the lawn, but we will make sure to go on the grass you don't want just in case, Debra. :-)
I like my spa tub and don't want to give it up, but I want to add a shower I can comfortably sit in. I've seen the style I like at my SIL's house. It was a single unit with molded seats and handrails that were perfectly placed and angled. I have just enough room for one like it in the master bath. I was hoping to find a similar model at the big box stores so I could use my card. I haven't seen anything like it there yet. I guess I'll have to check out a place that specializes in bath fixtures. Nadine rightfully complains that her bathroom should come first. We tore down the wall between the art room and her bathroom with the plan that we would be building on a new, large bathroom addition soon. But we haven't finished that addition. Her "bathroom" is currently just a curtained off corner of the art room. She will be getting my ideal accessible shower first and she doesn't even need it. grumble-grumble. (Jim)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 21, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8385492

Ah-h-h, I'll let PJ use mine until he has his own...for a small fee. :-)
Vickie, places to rest along your path sounds like an excellent idea. You can use those molded plastic lawn chairs, if nothing else. If you have much wind there, the legs need to be weighted or secured to the ground though. I need to paint the chair in the Cando Container Garden. Do you have any color preferences? There is a lattice and rose flower pattern on the chair back. What is your favorite rose color? ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8386625

Debra, it sounds like a no-go on visiting you AND THAT STINKS! That I should be limited about where I go and whom I visit on a basis of how old their houses are! Is there a hotel nearby that would have an accessible room? This is just a stupid dream - Ray could never get away for my cyber-friends. But I will cling to it to get me through this freaking winter!!!! He says he's taking me to Spain for my birthday!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 22, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8387298

Ooooh, Spain is a wonderfully warming idea!

Boss agreed I needed to take an afternoon off during the week when possible to balance the every Saturday. Proud of myself because I did NOT go to the specialty nursery closeby and look at dwarf trees. LOL Now I'm thinking a Don Egolf miniature Redbud. Need to put the brakes on and let the yard tell me what to do. Pulled up the Tamora Rose. Smells wonderful, is beautiful in color and form...and thornier than all get out! It will now move on to someone else's house and I replaced it with a Pope John Paul II Rose. Supposed to be creamy white, few thorns, rebloomer, and nicely fragrant. Fingers crossed. Now all I need to do is figure out where to put the Peace Rose. Too thorny for the backyard. Those doggie races might turn out reallllll bad. :-( The Zepherine Drouhin should be fine back there winding around the Crape Myrtles.

Little baby Franziska Maria Clematis I got in the Fall was in a ceramic pot and is greening up nicely. Found a dozen new Lilies coming up. Yippee! So much new stuff planted in the last few months that the front will look completely different this Spring. I am excited. :-D

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8387414

So Debra, you work 6 days a week? Sounds like my DH.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 23, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8388189

Yes. We have recycling collections the first three Saturdays of every month, for which I have to be at office to open the building and hand off equipment and such; the company opened a retail store in July which is open on saturday until 3:00; the boss is up until all hours during the week, and he gets cranky when he has to come in early on weekends, which makes our working lives more difficult; and I'm operations manager/executive officer, which means I need to be on site during the week, as well. Not saying I'd want to only get one day off a week forever (been a year, now), but it is necessary for the present and I do not hesitate to invoke my pitiful status as the only one to work six days a week to finagle some shorter hours on weekdays. It ISN'T manipulation. No, it..is...NOT. LOL A gal's just gotta do what a gal's gotta do. I am also exceeeeeeedingly grateful to even have a job, let alone one that pays me as well as it does.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 23, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8388296

Tony works six days a week for me. Most Mexicans do. Tony's hours have been shortened considerable and his pay has gone up quite a lot so we're both happy with the arrangement. He also gets extra time off for almost any reason and he doesn't abuse that. One year when I did not have much money my Christmas present to him was almost unlimited time off when he had other work without any cut in my pay to him.

What kinds of things do you recycle? A lot of my house is made of recycled materials. I'ave had visits to LA when I returned with buiding materials picked up in the alleys of Beverly Hills. My vehicles tend to be rather beat up so I've met several Beverly Hills policemen. Luckily, I've never been stopped by the one that Zza Zza slapped - I hear he's so obnoxious that most feel she was in the right. Anyway, lots of people in the Beverly Hills flats leave boxes of clothes, shoes, toys, etc in the alleys, knowing that people like me make the rounds and pick things up for resuse.

I've been working in the arroyo while Tony has been brownbagging the last kitchen wall. I need to get the van ready for my trip; I'm leaving for Ca.on Friday. Tony cleaned the inside and I got it gassed up yesterday. I think I'm about good to go. Still shaking the last of the cold.

Several of my citrus trees are blooming.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 23, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8388638

We recycle electronics. Computers, monitors, televisions, networking equipment, phones, VCRs, clock radios, office machines, wire...all kinds of stuff. I am not technical and it has taken all of these 7+ years to know what half the stuff is, but we do good and try to make a little money at the same time.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8388780

Oh, Debra, I wish you made house calls! We now have a huuuuuuge TV that won't turn on; $150 to find out what's wrong, let alone fix it. We bought a new TV instead and our eyes were bigger than our bedroom - this is more the size for a MD waiting room or better, a sports bar. DH moaned pitifully about his bad eyesight and needing a bigger screen - shoulda got him stronger glasses instead.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8389549

lol. That sounds familiar. When Jim bought a 43" plasma for the bedroom and mounted it so he could watch while laying in bed. He said "That way I can see it without my glasses. Wouldn't want me to fall asleep with glasses on and accidentally break them, would you? That would be expensive. :-)
It is amazing how quickly greening up takes place, once it starts. Daffodils, jonquils and Bells of Ireland are in bloom. Jim raised one of the garden faucets so it can be turned on/off without bending over and can be reached easily from a wheelchair. Nadine mowed this afternoon, but she mowed around all the patches of sweet clover. She says the bees need those. The bees are going to make for an interesting landscape, but it is good to see her excited about something again.
We finally got the seed list finished. Having a list to refer to makes things so much easier. There weren't as many as Nadine was afraid there were. They just took up a lot of space because some were in oversized containers. I think I will switch to jelly jars for holding my seeds and dedicate one kitchen cabinet to them. There turned out to be 129 different types of seed. Considering the size of the property, I don't think that is TOO obsessive.
Hope you recover fully in time for your trip, Katie. Kay*
Photo: Professor Einstein daffodil

Thumbnail by Amargia

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 24, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8391003

Seed obsessed...Mama Kay? Naw..no way. lol. At least, coming up with an inexpensive gift for her is never a problem.
Thanks again for the seeds, Debra. They arrived yesterday. I put them in a container before MK could get her hands on them. :-) Mine! Mine! All mine!
Spain sounds awesome! One of the advantages of being a decent sighted guide is where MK goes, I get to go. Now, I just have to convince her to travel more. She prefers driving trips. If we are going to have gas prices like Europe, we need publlic transportation like Europe's.
PJ is probably still a better sighted guide than I am. But, being male, he can't go everywhere she needs to go. Is traveling abroad difficult for you, Carrie? Have the places you've traveled to in Europe had good accessibility in hotels and other public places? ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 24, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8391014

Trying to choose a place for the Peace Rose. The Graham Thomas planted here between the two fence panels doesn't seem to like it there. Or it is VERY slow growing. Thinking of pulling it up and replacing with the Peace. Problems would be displacing a couple of Gauras because the Peace roots are huge and the hole would have to be enlarged. But the Thomas is really scruffy looking and would probably be much happier somewhere else. Peace is bigger, too, and would fill in that gap better. What to do, what to do...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 24, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8391020

Here is the Peace. Soaked in water for a couple of days and have the roots in a damp towel until the weekend.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
3:43 AM

Post #8391502

I did'nt let anyone touch my clover patches either. I've got the Einstein daffys too.
I had the Peace and the Tiffany rose and a couple others but rose diseases were so bad here I just let them go. I have a small pink double wild rose and a red climbing rose.I tried to get my DD to come dig them up but she did'nt want them.
Think my TV is about 40" Big enough but not the biggest. It's not plasma but i don't need one since i have Dish.
I'm going to have to really cutback on my gas consumption including one or two trips to town a month. Yesterday gas was $3.19 a gal. This means grocerys are going to take another hike upwards. It bothers me that more people are going to be in need. In the local newspapers,gardeners are being asked to grow extra food to donate to food banks.
Am I being ugly? but i think cooking lessons are going to be needed because so many young people can't boil water. LOL Sell a bunch of carrots and include use instructions.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8392233

Remember when they sold potatoes wrapped in cellophane with microwave instructions? Haha ha ha ha.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8393284

I initially wanted a climbing 'Peace' to cover an arch, but it doesn't like our humidity here. Black spot is a problem. . I still love 'Peace.'. I'll cheer yours on, Debra. I don't imagine to much humidity is a problem there.
Some college boys were trying to make their own pizza sauce. The recipe they were following called for two cloves of garlic. The didn't understand what a clove of garlic was. They used two entire bulbs. Those use instructions you mention will need to be detailed for complicated things like garlic. :-) Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 26, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8393693

Nadine, you are welcome. Send me photos when they bloom. :-)

Vickie, you are right. Do they even teach "home ec" anymore? I should know since I have two teaching certifications, but it gets confusing.

Carrie, in the produce section and 10 times the cost of a whole bag?

Kay, I have rethought the whole thing. Going to plant the Peace Rose in the hole where I dug up the Rose of Sharon that went to curbside. Then plant the pink Broom (Cytisus x praecox 'Hollandia') in the fence gap instead of in the ROS hole. Move the Graham Thomas forward some so it is in front of and mixed in with the Broom. (maybe, might still move it somewhere else) As part of the garden certificate order, I am getting a Buddleia Flutterby Petite "Snow White." It's supposed to be small and drought resistant. Plan to put it in the right field foul pole corner of the front bed. Pull up the "Artemesia Powis Castle" just because I'm bored with it. Already tossed the left field corner one and replaced with Baptisia. Fingers crossed it comes back up. Will move the Powis or give it away. Ordered a "Wedding Gown" lacecap Hydrangea from White Flower Farms. Expensive as all get out, but the photos look so beautiful, I'm going to try a Hydrangea again. Wish me luck. LOL

Debra
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 26, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8394821

They still teach something vaguely resembling what older people call Home Ec. It is called Family and Consumer Science. The only thing I remember from the cooking part was how to make Monkey Bread with pre-packaged biscuits so you probably have a point. They didn't trust us with sharp knives (we were only allowed those plastic butterknives for spreading mayo and the like) so we had to use pre-packaged vegetables. But, we do have Food Network and Alton Brown. lol. ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8394905

Debra,By the time i finished reading the paragraph about what you planned to do with your flowers, I was wore out.You must be a glutton for punishment. LOL
Today i bought 4 grape vines and 5 pink hyacinths. The muskadines did so well here I thought i'd try them also.I looked at potatoes too---seed potatoes. I've got to find a way to grow some.
We had to have 2 years of Home Ec. divided in 4 sections. Personal hygene,cooking,sewing,home decorating. The sewing was probably the most worthwhile. I made all my kids clothes,drapes,furniture covers and quilts etc. Don;t remember the cooking. I learned the hard way with DH as guinnie(SP) pig.
Nadine, The important thing they taught you was where to find sources for learning. LOL
Kay, Really LOL! I probably would have liked that pizza,I do love garlic.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 27, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8395491

Ah, but Vickie the beauty is that I only get these things sent to me one or two at a time. So I don't have to do it all at once. And the really heavy stuff like digging up ROS trees I save for those strong young backs that I pay to help me out! It's the plan that comes to me all of a sudden. I ponder and ponder and ponder. Then the yard says, "Hey, YOU. Do it this way!" And I listen. :-)

I did plant the Peace Rose yesterday. Think it might be too deep, but we'll see. The box store started offering very long stemmed Dianthus and Society Garlic. Bought a couple and will try to put them in today. Have to go back today to get a garbage disposal and am struggling mightily with going to another location to check out THEIR stock and clearances. My sister paid me back some of the money I spent for her daughter's cremation and memorial service, so I temporarily have cash burning holes in my bank account. Aiiiiiii. LOL
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 27, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8396892

Vickie, I'll see if I can find Kay's recipe for garlic soup. You might like it. I have the flu so they are feeding me onions and garlic at every meal. It was onion soup today. I don't know if it helps people get over colds and flu, but it sure feels good going down. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 28, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8397662

Jim, onions and garlic are wonderful for colds and flu. :-)

I am proud of myself. Did lose the battle of going to the other box store, but won the war in that I ONLY bought the disposal and a bag of mulch. Had all kinds of plants in the basket and put them alllll back. LOL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8398641

Debra, You are definately a better person than i am. I could'nt have resisted. Once n my buggy, It is going home with me.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 28, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8398677

No, I'm not, Vickie. I'm lazy. If those plants had stayed in my cart and come home with me, I would have had to find someplace to put them and then PLANT. Too much work. LOL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8398837

Started a new thread. Guess I'm cleaning house today. Now! Could i get volunteers to come clean my real house. LOL
We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1161328/
Come and join us,you are more than welcome.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 28, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8398868

Vickie, that link leads to the new Compassion thread.

Can we try this one? :-)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1161333/
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2011
2:22 AM

Post #8403805

That figures!!! Thanks Debra.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America