Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Praying Mantises in the Yard: mantis

Communities > Forums > Article: Praying Mantises in the Yard
bookmark
Forum: Article: Praying Mantises in the YardReplies: 2, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 13, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #8154258

interesting article
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

October 14, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #8155701

Yes,fascinating. I remember seeing them many years ago on a working trip to South Africa; but didn't realise there were so many species, or that they occurred in America too.
MountainEd
Troy, ID

October 20, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8857341

We live in Northern Idaho and here on ranch we have thousands and thousands of them, they are everywhere. My kids bring in ten or twenty day throughout much of the summer and let them loose in the house. Most of them go back out the windows but a lot of them just stay in the house and hunt flies and lay their eggs attached to the walls next to the planter boxes in the house.

I still can't figure out for sure what type we have though, I have been looking all morning but have been unable to find any usefull information at all.

After seeing the praying mantises in this article I think it likely ours are European, but I really don't know. I wanted to find out how long they are in the egg sacks before they hatch and at what temp they need to be to stimulate hatching, I thought it would be cool to have a bunch of them in the house through the winter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Praying Mantises in the Yard Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Favorite Insect! gabagoo 6 Oct 18, 2010 10:26 AM
Mantis Not Beneficial for Butterflies LeslieT 9 Oct 17, 2011 6:37 AM
Black widow and 'wolf' spider mfpinlh 2 Oct 18, 2010 2:03 PM
Mantis joyousjoy 0 Oct 18, 2010 8:36 AM
They can be (Bee) killers OGRODNIK 0 Oct 18, 2010 10:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America