-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #8155453

I have this vine that I assumed was bindweed or wild morning glory. I've been pulling it out of one bed all summer long. It winds around all my plants and just smothers them or at least hides them, but I haven't been able to get it all out.

Suddenly I noticed that one stem of it has a couple of large seed pods that look almost like okra. I haven't opened a pod to see what it looks like inside. If it's something I want, I may want the seeds so I've been letting the pod ripen.

I haven't seen flowers on the vine, but there must have been some. I'm guessing they were tiny since I didn't notice them.

Does anyone recognize this bindweed-like vine? Could it be some sort of Asclepia vine?

This message was edited Oct 14, 2010 8:27 AM

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RachelLF

RachelLF

October 14, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8155520

Looks like Cynanchum laeve.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8155554

I think you're right, Rachel. And after looking at pictures of it, I realized I have seen flowers on it earlier. So now I have to decide if I want to grow it in a controlled spot or get rid of it. I love attracting butterflies, but I have prettier, easier to control plants. But it seems to be a novelty or a nuisance, depending on how you look at it? Right now, I only have two seed pods, but if I allowed it to grow at will, I probably wouldn't be able to gather all the pods quick enough. I'll have to give it some thought.

I have another asclepia vine that's slightly different. It hasn't become invasive in the several years I've had it. But this one is much more rambunctious and invasive.
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #8155756

isn't that a baby pod from invasion of the body snatchers?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #8155892

OOOOOH, now I'm scared! LOL

RachelLF

RachelLF

October 14, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8156433

LOL wormfood.

ButterflyChaser, if you decide to keep the vine it might help to put it in a pot vs. the ground and catch as many seed pods as you can. It is a very aggressive vine as you already know. What other Asclepia are you growing that has not shown to be as invasive for you?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #8156638

I think it's cynanchum acutum. The seed pods are long and narrow instead of fat like the one above. The foliage smells like stale popcorn. It's been growing in drought conditions under a big oak tree, so maybe that's why it doesn't get invasive.

RachelLF

RachelLF

October 14, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8156746

Thank you ButterflyChaser. Cynanchum acutum is a new wrinkle on my brain and I appreciate the information you provided concerning it. Perhaps you could add some information/pictures concerning this particular Cynanchum in PlantFiles here on DG when you can?

http://www.tropicos.org/ImageSearch.aspx

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America