Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 17, Views: 182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
luvublooms

October 6, 2001
2:27 PM

Post #15263

Anyone know the name for this? All it said was Hawaiin plant on label .Have had this for 4yrs and it's never bloomed.A bargain for a buck each [2]on clearance.Disregard the ones in chair and fat finger on lens and badly needed paint job on garage.LOL..O,BTW,last year they got huge when I had them in frontyard.Kept them in back this year.TIA for any info.

Thumbnail by luvublooms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2001
3:59 PM

Post #141294

Removed by member request
luvublooms

October 6, 2001
5:19 PM

Post #141336

Thanks ,I'll look into that name.And that name sounds like some kinda Italian pasta! Must be craving carbohydrates here.LOL.
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2001
5:20 PM

Post #141337

franganpani aka plumeria
luvublooms

October 6, 2001
5:30 PM

Post #141342

O yea... franganpani ala plums! Just acting silly ,guys. Thanks for the info and can't believe it was nameless for so long. This plant ,u can break [someone broke mine by accident]the thick stem and stick it in water an walla! it produces a new one ,make it two b/c the other half gets new leaves too.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2001
5:40 PM

Post #141350

look at the leaves on this picture, I think Trish is right, plumeria - fragapani. Lucky girl!!!
http://www.alohaplumeria.com/plumeria/Plumeria_Species/pauahi_alii.jpg

This message was edited Saturday, Oct 6th 1:40 PM
luvublooms

October 6, 2001
6:22 PM

Post #141364

tiG ,if I get the courage to break 100mil pcs off of it, LOL,I am saving one for u & Ms.bee,k? Or do u already have one?Thanks for the link.BTW ,I always called u tigger but now I know. And there is a real tigger on DG,right?
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2001
6:31 PM

Post #141367

yes, there is a tigger (not me):) mostly hostas that I can tell. I have one I've been trying to root for 6 months now!!! argh! Maybe next year, they will both be doing great, and we'll have different colors and we can trade:) thank you though ((( )))
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2001
12:05 AM

Post #141566

Be sure and let me know when mine is ready LOL You know me, I am always willing to take on a new plant!!
you're a sweetie Janie!
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2001
3:29 AM

Post #141708

You rooted it in WATER??? My mother brought me three from Hawaii a few years ago, and I (stupidly) trimmed off the callused end, and two of them rotted. I later did a little research and all the places that sell them tell you that they root best between 15 and 30 days after cutting, 'when a callus is well-formed'.I've not been brave enough to cut mine.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2001
3:31 AM

Post #141709

that's exactly what I thought when I read that Jen. I've had mine in soil since the beginning of June and it's not rotted, but not doing anything else.
I may have my hand out later on...
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2001
3:32 AM

Post #141711

this is what I went by. I don't have roots :(
http://www.plumeria101.com/cuttings101.html
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2001
3:49 AM

Post #141721

Humm...Mine got leaves within a month or so, but it took it two years to flower. When it did, then it forked into two branches, went another two years, and this summer ONE branch flowered, the other didn't. These are strange plants---I've been told you can pull them up and overwinter them hanging from the ceiling of your basement or any other place where they won't freeze.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2001
3:54 AM

Post #141724

that doesn't sound good for mine:( and it's one of my must haves, that's why I paid a lot for the cutting.
luvublooms

October 7, 2001
4:36 AM

Post #141738

Well,mine didn't root in water or rot.But it grew new leaves.And lived that way til I gave that pc away.
MsBatt,they do grow 2 different branches when they are cut/broken.Still,neither branch has bloomed,but I hardly fertilize.
The first link www.Plumera 101.com shows some beautiful blooms and shows where they are rooting tons of pcs,but they didn't specify what to use in soil.
I just bring mine in for the winter .And it looks like a dried -up ole branch,til the following spring.
chazparas
Haverhill, MA
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2001
1:33 PM

Post #142533

Good morning all, I got my plumeria as a well callused cutting in 1987, at the New York flower show. It rooted in soil and produced leaves the first year. I have never, repeat never fertilized it, just transplanted it 3 times in the past 13 years, it even died back to a small stump while dormant one winter. it is about 4 feet tall now, 3 branches and finally flowered the first time last year, and agian this year. Just brought it in to the conservatory to enjoy the blooms before frost hits. To all of you growing this as a house plant dont be surprised if it goes dormant in Jan - Feb. up here in the north is flowers late august. and is worth putting up with leafless for a while, just move it to a cool cellar or out of the way place until you see new growth starting. It gets BIG so dont be afraid to cut it.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2001
12:19 AM

Post #146153

tiG,
Now I'm nervous. Had a very nice lady send me 11 cuttings from her two plumerias. Just got them today and potted them by the same method you used. I know this isn't the best time of the year to take cuttings, but maybe one or two of mine will live. I'll tiG

Shirley
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2001
1:53 PM

Post #146418

don't be nervous brugie!! you can do it, you have a real green thumb. What is really frustrating is that my sister with a black thumb, ordered three cuttings off QVC. She let them sit in the package for 4 months. She was telling me, and I told her they were probably rotten, but to pot them up. This was last month. Well, she now has leaves on two of them!!!!!! argh. I'm gonna toss mine and try for another when I get a line on one!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America