Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

African Violets and Gesneriads: is this fertilizer burn

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 15, Views: 195
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #8158992

Hi All;
I just leached this plant, will those brown spots go away? Or do i have to start all over again, ugh. This is av Ann

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #8159038

Bonnie,
It looks like fertilizer burn to me.If you leach them really well the new growth should be fine,but the spots on the older leaves will not go away.If it's real bad,you might have to repot them.

Lynn
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #8159091

oh wow, it's on the new growth, looks like i will have to start over again. ugh.took so long to get it this big, it's a real slow grower,
bonnie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8159761

That's too bad.It was such a beauty.Try giving the leaves a real good bath and sticking 1 or 2 down to root.Some of the build-up might wash off.
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #8160195

will do, thanks for the info.
bonnie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #8161156

Is there any chance that water spots sat on the leaves? That can cause browning, especially if the plants were in a cool place. I'm asking because if it mostly happened toward the center of the plant, that's where you can get water sitting if you don't dry them off carefully after top watering.

Bummer to have that perfect look ruined, but yes, the plant should grow out of it.
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #8161735

no chance of water on the leaves, i wick water.thanks for the info.sure is a bummer, as it's such a slow grower.
bonnie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #8162115

Bonnie,
I find this site helpful.

http://www.steverd.com/violets/leaves/leaf-id.htm

Lynn
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #8162339

OK, I wasn't sure... you mentioned "leaching" which I figured meant top-watering to rinse away fertilizer buildup in the soil (something I need to do more often with my plants!).

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #8163010

looks to me, like it needs repotting.I bet it has'net been repoted for 3 months or more, hence the fertilizer built up. In Wicking , with very little soil this is what happens. and then each plant is different...
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #8163788

Your right, i have not repotted in awhile. Will do that today.Been so busy lately, my plant room is a mess. lol Thanks for the web site. Found that helpful. Yes leaching is where you put your plant in water just above the soil & let it bubble to rinse out all the fertlizer.
Bonnie

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8163959

I let the water run through for quite a bit to get the residue of fertilizer out. Much prefer to re-port every 2-3 months with important plants that is.

I now collect water from our(condo) springkling system which is well water, full of sulphur, not sure if this is good. Should be better the the chlorinated county water. helene
nrandel
Dublin, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #8278617

I had my AV's in my office and they were quite happy. I retired, gave several AV's away and kept some. They weren't happy in their new home - AV's, new place, not happy. I moved again, big vanity in bathroom, east window, AV's were somewhat happy. Received as an early Christmas present a four level light stand, placed it in another room. Two months later I find out AV's not happy - powdery mildew. OMG, I was crushed. In a panic I cut all the leaves off that had powdery mildew and it left the plant with only the center leaves. These are now getting the mildew. I don't know what to do or why they're not happy. When I set the light stand up I thought the light was to close to the leaves, say 2-3 inches from the larger AV's. I researched the problem and it said to much humidity (NOT!) or not enough air circulation - go figure. What do you think forum readers?

Thumbnail by nrandel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8278758

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear you are having problems.Usually mildew is caused by lack of air circulation and in winter sometimes wet and cool is the culprit.Spraying above them with Lysol and letting it settle on the leaves is one solution,or spray with 1 part low fat milk to 9 parts water,let dry before placing under lights.

In my opinion 2-3 inches is much too close to the lights if you are using 2 to a shelf.I would try 8-10 inches.
Lynn
GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #8279502

Lysol works for me too, but, I also now water my mats using Physan 20, which is also effective against PM, among many other things. Yesterday I started running my lights at night to keep the plants warmer when the temps are the lowest. Cold temps, moist conditions and no air circulation at night were the cause of my PM on violets on the bottom shelf of a plant stand next to window.

meag848
Kittrell, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2010
12:01 AM

Post #8279971

GrowHappy, I started to do the same thing, run the lights at night for warmth. For Pete's sake this is central NC and we have 9" of snow on the ground! I hope that you are all safe!

Mrs. Bonnie, you might want to check your ph. Another friend on a different forum had the same problems with spots just like yours, it ended up being her ph.

I have come to the conclusion that you have to be a scientist at times to raise these beauties.

Melanie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America