Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Going to the beach to pick plums? YES, Beach Plums!!: Darius, thank you- remember sloe gin?

Communities > Forums > Article: Going to the beach to pick plums? YES, Beach Plums!!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Going to the beach to pick plums? YES, Beach Plums!!Replies: 5, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

October 16, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #8159391

Greetings, it is very pleasant to see an old acquaintance again, on such an interesting project!!!
And very well presented, researched and everything!!! Thank you !!!

Which reminds me, of a very old post - I think in Recipes forum, about a similar idea -
some people (? from England ?) use the plum of a hedge-forming (and very thorny) shrub, I think called "sloe", and produce a liqueur - like drink, called "sloe - gin" . I searched the DG forums but did not find it - any ideas?
Many thanks, and best wishes - it is a great pleasure to "see" you again here.

Dimitri

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #8159457

Dimitri, I think that's something I would remember, but it rings no bell. I looked (briefly) into sloes this summer when I bought some wild damson plums for wine; I seem to 'remember' sloes were described as being very similar to the plums, but unfortunately the information didn't 'stick'.

Nice to 'see' a familiar face!

~Darius
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

October 17, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #8161033

hi Darius, thank you for your reply. Last night, after i posted this thread to you, I searched again DG for "sloe gin" in all forums, and found the old discussions, 2003, with Philomel and others. Check for yourself to see if you still need info on the subject.

As far as I am concerned, I reverted to the old faithful cherry liqueur, which is unique in its colour, aroma, taste, acidity (and pectin, if you want to make preserve). It is also easy to make and since I have plenty of locally produced alcohol it unties my hands. Actually, I do the stuff in two stages: (1) I fill a 5 ltr glass bottle with 3 kilos sour cherries, then up to the brim with raki, and seal it and put it aside. I forgot this one "aside" for 3 years... (2) Strain the purple alcohol into a new bottle, and add about 1 kilo of sugar, and some water (like one cup, 250ml). Leave it aside for 1 - 2 weeks, taste it and see: if too strong => add water, if too thin fluid=> add sugar, if too watery => add raki. Practice makes perfect. And a lot is gone down in "trials" with friends !!!

Greetings from Crete and many wishes for a healthy creative and constructive winter ahead

Dimitri

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #8161166

Your cherry liqueur sounds quite interesting! I had to look up what is Raki...

Thanks for looking for that old thread... I shall have to seek it out and re-read it.

Best wishes,
darius
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

October 19, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #8164982

Raki is a name of turkish origin, for the alcohol that is distilled from grape skins seeds and stems. After pressing, they are fermented in anaerobicconditions and thealcoholicdrink producedis called tsikoudia or raki. it is abundant here in Crete, but it is for local consumption of the villagers and it is not taxed so it is not traded either. It is very much like tequila, but the subtle aftertaste brings a memory of biting the grape seeds in your mouth - it is a sharp as tequila or gin, but with a different "taste".

The old threads, here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/404496/?hl=sloe gin
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/376011/?hl=sloe gin
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/361840/?hl=sloe gin

All the best !!!

Dimitri

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8165002

Ahhhh, Thank You, my friend... for both the explanation, and the links. I just hadn't had time lately. (I'm trying to build something to make and learn about cold-smoking, as a prelude to learning more charcuterie.)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Going to the beach to pick plums? YES, Beach Plums!! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yummy! DrDoolotz 3 Apr 28, 2008 2:55 AM
Plums phicks 2 Apr 24, 2008 3:04 AM
Our group picks them every year rosewood513 0 Apr 28, 2008 12:41 PM
Beach Plums on Delmarva 614longfellow 4 Jul 7, 2008 9:25 AM
Beach Plums northlake 1 Apr 30, 2008 5:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America