-
AuthorContent
dadofnine_co
Fountain, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #8160391

I try to do gardening without the use of chemicals. I have recently started to grow glads here in CO (it is dry here). Does anyone have knowledge or experience growing glads w/o chemicals or have any sources? Right now the grasshoppers are eating them a lot and soon I will have to store the corms and treat for thrips. :(
dadofnine_co
Fountain, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #8210767

Well, the only suggestion I have recieved is to use DE (diatamaceous earth). I will try that.
haweha
Solingen
Germany
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8416889

Diatomaceous Earth is but a topical agent.
I am pessimistic. You would at least have to peel the corm until it is totally "naked", and then, there is still an indentation at the place that new growth emerges from. Perhaps, an appropriate NEEM oil formula would be a better choice but this is just a suggestion, I have no own experience.
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8514123

dadofnine... wish I had advice for you. I am new to gladiolas. I planted about 20 corms late February, directly in the ground. I have approx. 2 feet of healthy growth on all of them. I have used no chemicals whatsoever, and the soil in my area is that nasty hard clay. I mixed in some organic potting mix and that's it. So far, fingers crossed no problems whatsoever.
Best of luck with your glads. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America