Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Okay to compost old blown-in insulation?

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

We've got multi-trash bags full old blown in insulation that is now a powdery consistency. Has anyone else have experience with composting this?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Can you be absolutely sure what it is made of? According to Bob Vila's website ( http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Insulating_Old_Homes_Blow_In_Insulation_Options-Insulation-A1781.html ), it could be made of cellulose, fiberglass or foam. Although cellulose is a natural product, who knows what other chemicals are mixed with it so that it can be "blown." I personally would not use it in compost regardless of what it's made of. Just too many unknowns and to "chemically" sounding to me.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

lordy - or urea formaldehyde, or rock wool with asbestos or vermiculite, or probably other deadly things as well... (Powdery kinda sounds like rock wool, fwiw.) You'll be doing good if they let you put it in the landfill instead of treating it as hazardous. I wouldn't chance it in my yard. Be sure to wear a dust mask when you're handling the bags.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

We had it checked out, it's cellulose, the old ground up newspaper stuff.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Technically, then, I suppose it would be OK - but I still wouldn't use it myself. Just my opinion.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

You can bet it's been treated with a fire retardant .....

Al

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, good point about that.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

So, I take it fire retardent is toxic?

( Pam ) Portland, OR

toxic..yes.

Toxic Flame Retardants (PBDEs)
Why should I be concerned?

* PBDES are in blood, breast milk, and umbilical cord blood.
* Laboratory animals exposed to PBDEs show deficits in learning and memory.
* PBDEs affect thyroid levels in laboratory animals and in wildlife, and may cause birth defects.

http://pollutioninpeople.org/toxics/pbdes

and here's a little more:
http://www.ewg.org/reports/inthedust

A few years ago there were studies implicating fire retardant in furniture and carpeting, as being a cause of hyperthyroidism in cats, since they are small and close to the floor, the toxic levels shows up sooner than it would in an adult human.
Here's where it got very interesting. I am a Graves' disease patient and long time member of several large online forums. So, as you might guess we all started talking...I was shocked at how many of my fellow patients had new wall to wall carpet installed shortly before diagnosis. It takes a combination of such things to cause an autoimmune disease to surface, never just one thing. But there will generally be the 'straw that broke the camel's back'. The time when it just became too much for the body to deal with.

No.. I don't wear a tin foil hat.. but I'm willing to consider the fact that for some, the additional rise in PBDE levels in their homes could well have been a contributing factor. The studies are ongoing.

Not a healthy thing to have in the garden, that's for sure. For yourself and for future generations living there.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Wow! I did not know any of that! Thanks for informing me, I try to keep as much toxic stuff out of me and my immediate environment.

( Pam ) Portland, OR

It was a great question. Thanks for asking. :) I'm sure others will find this interesting as well.

I was aware on a low level of concern, then a few years ago they did a Jean-Michel Cousteau special on PBS, here they explained they have found ....... here...I found a link so I explain it correctly.

-- During a recent expedition, Jean-Michel Cousteau and his Ocean Futures Society team discovered an alarming fact: many populations of killer whales are contaminated with toxic, synthetic chemicals known as PBDEs, or flame retardants. --

http://www.toxicflameretardants.org/

We can't avoid it completely, but awareness can make a big difference.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Good to know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.
BACK TO TOP