Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Humic acids for alkaline soils

Communities > Forums > Rocky Mountain Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rocky Mountain GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
geneso
Seattle, WA

October 17, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8160963

Hello,

After paying $30.00 a pound for humic acids for my soil, I recently purchased some for $16.00 for 32 pounds. It seems the same when mixed with water. I did some research using an old tag on one bag, and found a mine close to me which apparently supplies the stuff to an awful lot of nurseries in the Southwest, where you can buy the material by the ton.
My question is this, does anyone have any long term experience with this material and alkaline soils?
Next, how much of this material is too much for alkaline soils at 8.0 PH?

Thanks,

Geneso

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #8168774

I don't know about your soil, but acidifiers don't work well here. We have alkaline clay that is formed when our chalky shale breaks down, and there are bits of shale in it. It is described as having a lot of "free lime", and it fizzes when you pour vinegar on it. I would describe it as being "buffered". When it fizzes, the little bits of shale are breaking down further. When it stops fizzing, the pH is back pretty close to where it started.

If your bulk product is a by-product of mining, you might want to have it tested for undesirable or excessive metals.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America