Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Bitter Dock: Bitter dock and curly-leaf dock

Communities > Forums > Article: Bitter Dock
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bitter DockReplies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fp
near Saint John
Canada

October 18, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #8161786

Loved this article, but want to add that I've been eating both bitter dock and curly-leaf dock as cooked greens all my life, and in every country I've ever visited (33 to date). At home in Canada I freeze the cooked dock in one-litre empty yogourt containers and eat it all winter long..
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8162003

I've heard that others do the same thing, FP, though I haven't tried it in years. It was readily available in the mountains, but not so much here where I'm living now.

Good to know, though.
Thanks.
BeeCharmer13
Bloomington, IN

October 18, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8162092

I grew up on a farm in southern (hilly) Indiana, and my grandmothers would sometimes take me along to hunt greens for our supper. We picked wild poke, dock, mustard and dandelion greens, usually mixing them. They were delicious, and the time outdoors with my grandmas was priceless. One of my ancestral surnames is "Brown," by the way. :-) I grew a HUGE poke plant in my back pation "yard" this year. It turned into a fabulously tropical-looking "tree." See attached...

Thumbnail by BeeCharmer13
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #8162110

Hi BeeCharmer,
Great poke plant you have there. One of my first mountain climbing memories is gathering poke with Aunt Bett. There's an article about it around here somewhere on DG.

But I'm looking at your picture and seeing those poke berries!!! They are just ready to use to paint pictures on rocks and walls...which I did every chance I got. I know how toxic poke is, I was told about it early on, but I painted every rock around with those berries!

I love Bloomington, by the way, my son has a condo there on Lake Monroe. It's rented out right now, and I haven't been there in a couple of years, but still enjoy it when I can.

My maiden name is Webb, and I can't remember that any of my husband's family lived in Indiana, but maybe so. It's a small world.

Thanks for writing, I love the photo of your 'tropical' plant. They do grow quite large!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bitter Dock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
color phases gloria125 15 Oct 13, 2010 4:18 PM
Something to dye for 3pmp 1 Oct 19, 2010 7:17 AM
Aunt Bett MAINE_CAL 1 Oct 19, 2010 7:14 AM
Dock handmade paper GinPetty 3 Oct 20, 2010 4:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America