Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Praying Mantises in the Yard: Mantis Not Beneficial for Butterflies

Communities > Forums > Article: Praying Mantises in the Yard
bookmark
Forum: Article: Praying Mantises in the YardReplies: 9, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

October 18, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8161955

While they may be beneficial against some pests, they also eat butterfly caterpillars and, supposedly, butterflies. Consequently, I will never purchase an egg case. I won't destroy any adult mantis I find (and I do have a few), but if you love butterflies the way I do, you won't want too many Mantis in your garden.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8161973

That is certainly true... though the only butterflies we get in the valley here are Fritterlies, which devastate my Passion Vines... so I have no problem with them eating those.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #8162269

Fritterlies? Are they orange? I have mostly orange butterflies, thought they were monarchs. I do remember reading that the caterpillars like to breed in passion vines, so that is propbably why my vines that looked so green and full in spring and early summer now are thin with so many dead leaves. I thought all butterflies like the Passion Vines.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8162362

butterflies like them fine.. .but their caterpillars shred the poor things to ribbons. By fall, there is hardly a leaf fragment left on them.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #8162425

I figured that was the case, just your reference to a particular butterfly. Thought all butterflies had their cocoons in passion vines. Yep, they are a mess right now. Guess I should just trim them way down.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8837841

Just for someone that might read this on the reprint of the article...

Passiflora or passion vines are host plants that the fritillary butterflies lay their eggs. The caterpillars won't kill the vine just make it look bad. After they are big enough they will pupate. Some form their chrysalis on the vines and they are able to overwinter and emerge in the spring.
Back on topic... I have seen the mantis' eat many a butterfly, so I keep them away from my host plants when possible.
boulio
Sabinsville, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8844356

I don't see many, but I annihilate any praying mantis I see on my real estate. Spiders get the same.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8849552

Guiltygirl...This link shows butterflies found in CA. Click on the drop down box and fill in your county for a more exact list. If you look there are numerous fritillaries in your area under the bushfoot butterfly section. Clicking on the butterfly will show a picture and give info on host plants etc. http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/checklists?species_type=0&tid=38

On topic...This year I have had numerous gekcos and less mantis...I think they have taken care of the problem. Now I am missing the gekcos...birds maybe? Our drought conditions have caused so many insects and varmits to come to yards that continued to irrigate.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 6:23 AM

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 6:25 AM
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8850456

Thanks Shiela, that is a great chart. 145 for our (Rivewrside) County. It would be nice to have all 145 in picture boxes rather than clicking on one at a time, but that is a great list.

I flew over you guys last week on my way to DFW to change planes and meet up with 2 sisters all of us flying up to Cincinnati for a niece's wedding. It is amazing how brown everything is and watching as it turns green flying north. - off topic, sorry.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8852257

Yep, brown and black are our colors in a lot of Texas this year. With the wildfires and drought conditions. Guess the Monarchs can zone in on where the nectar plants might be if they stick with the green areas!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Praying Mantises in the Yard Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Favorite Insect! gabagoo 6 Oct 18, 2010 10:26 AM
mantis irisMA 2 Oct 20, 2011 2:28 PM
Black widow and 'wolf' spider mfpinlh 2 Oct 18, 2010 2:03 PM
Mantis joyousjoy 0 Oct 18, 2010 8:36 AM
They can be (Bee) killers OGRODNIK 0 Oct 18, 2010 10:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America