Bed Bugs

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a friend who has brought bed bugs home from 2 trips that were 8months apart. One time she stayed in a 5 star hotel, the other a Holiday Inn in NY. She was absolutely mortified! Spent thousands getting rid of them. She is leaving on a another trip soon out of the country and she has bought a Pack Tite. It 'cooks' whatever you put in it to kill the bed bugs. Anyone taking a trip should think about getting it.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from toofewanimals :
I have a friend who has brought bed bugs home from 2 trips that were 8months apart. One time she stayed in a 5 star hotel, the other a Holiday Inn in NY. She was absolutely mortified! Spent thousands getting rid of them. She is leaving on a another trip soon out of the country and she has bought a Pack Tite. It 'cooks' whatever you put in it to kill the bed bugs. Anyone taking a trip should think about getting it.

it's almost inevitable that a frequent traveler will experience them. They are extremely difficult to deal with. Always use the little folding luggage stand, that is, do not just plop your luggage onto the floor or the bed. Put everything you bring back into the dryer (or washer then dryer) and tumble on high heat.

You can search on-line for precautions, tips, and stuff that doesn't work. They are pesky but do little actual damage. They look like apple seeds and any little dark spots that look like 'Sharpie' dots on mattresses/bed linens is a sure sign they are present.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2010 7:37 AM

Dahlonega, GA

When traveling without my camper or small motor home , We kick back in our van with a cooler in front of the seats . Get just a few hours sleep and keep driving . I traveled for twenty five years and stayed in motels until I got smart and bought a 32' camper . to put in a travel park and based out of there . There is no way I'll stay in a motel again. I was forced to while visiting two nights in N C to see my great grandbaby who's family was also visiting there for a wedding .That was the only motel I had ever stayed in that changed the complete bed covers with each guest . I always had to ask for fresh change of everything before I went to my room . I carried bleach and sprayed the restroom and told the maid to stay out of my room , I would pick up clean towels at the desk .
You wouldn't believe some of the filth I've seen in motels .It may have been overkill because I'm not a clean freak but my dirt is my dirt and those spots on the bedspread is food I spilled eating in bed , not some unknown dirt of someone else .The motel was Hampton Inn and the only really clean room I ever had that I was comfortable with . All the linens were white and spreads were fresh wrinkled from the dryers .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.