Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

any suggestion's?

Dayton, OH

I have a Mock Orange shrub in my yard that I'm planning on getting rid of real soon, but I don't know for sure what to plant in its place. I would like some kind of small tree, or a nice shrub, I live in Zone 5 don't want any fruit tree's. Any idea's?
Thanks.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

You might want to check out..Pagoda dogwood, variegated dogwood, the Black Sambuncus sp...no fruit (as far as I know) but with finely cut leaves like a Japanese Maple, burning bush..all I can think of so far.

Dayton, OH

Hey Marcia, The Pagoda Dogwood sounds good, but I forgot to mention my space is out in the open, and I don't know if a Dogwood, or Japanese Maple would survive the cold winter here in zone 5 without any kind of shelter.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

The J. maple "Bloodgood" might. I am more certain of the pagoda dogwood. The neighbor has one in her back yard. It is surrounded by the fence, but does get hit by the north wind off of Lake Mendota. I would check it out with local nursery.

Dayton, OH

Thanks Marcia, I will check both out with the local nursery. I like both of them, as a matter of fact I think I'll check it out on the net.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.