Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Digitalis seed cold period?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 4, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #8163503

I am thinking about sowing some digitalis seed in my garden this year along with Winter Sowing some seed. I would like to plant it out like one would poppy seed - in later winter or perhaps like larkspur--now.
Does this seed need to go through a cold period before sowing?
Can one plant this seed in fall or winter? or does it have to be sown in the spring when the weather warms up? I just have more time in the fall than I do in the spring. Even though I have good success winter sowing digitalis, I struggle getting the plants out after they are big enough to transplant. It would be nice if I could just sow the seed in my garden.
I have grown digitalis for three years now, but I never get any plants to come from seed from the mother plants. I have always had to WS this seed.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2010
12:28 AM

Post #8170792

You can sow Digitalis seed the year round in your garden. They will germinate with and without a cold period.

Jonna
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #8171698

Thanks. I found a really neat article on what can be planted in the fall. There's actually a lot of plants one can sow in the fall. I wish I had some of the seeds!
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8182827

If you try surface sowing the seeds, they will come up gangbusters. I've grown all sorts of species of digitalis and have never had a problem germinating them just by surface sowing in peat pellets, keep in a cool room under lights in late winter for an early start, or start them outside in a sheltered area in spring. I always grow them as transplants, though. My foxgloves have started volunteers, but typically a small seed like this is easier to start from transplants, IME.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #8188593

Para: yes I have always grown the digitalis via pots and transplanted. I was just thinking of skipping that step and direct sow outdoors. The seed is so small.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America