AuthorContent
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #8164108

I've been a great lover of turmeric for some years, I love the the rich, earthy flavour it gives to food, its mild enough to be added to many different recipes. Its very tasty if mixed with an equal amount of chilli powder to flavour rice , couscous, bulgar wheat and pasta dishes.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #8164136

Good to know, DMersh, thank you!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 19, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #8164297

I use (2) 500 mg capsules several times a week in most recipes that start with "heat the oil" Its supposed to help with short term memory.

And of course turmeric is a yellow dye. If you eat something with turmeric and don't use a good sized napkin you are likely to decorate yourself with permanent yellow confetti on whatever you are wearing!
Its very hard to get out in the wash.
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #8164310

Yes, it is VERY hard to wash out of anything it stains!
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #8164535

If it's so hard to wash out, why is it not a good dye? Not light-fast??
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 19, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #8164675

gingerlily;

I do not know about cloth - maybe it is like tea?
My daughter came home one time and dyed a pair of white socks to go with an outfit. You know how tea is, takes a long time to stain, and washes a little bit every time you wash it???
Now I do make homemade soaps.
Very few things will dye soaps
1) Cholorphyll from mints and other herbal plants will - make soap green.
2) Only one crayola in the whole box will hold it's color in soap- I forgot the name but is some type of persian blue I think,
3) Turmeric turns soap yellow, plus it is an anti-cancer stuff.
If you use cholrophyll and turmeric together you get a pretty yellow - brown.
4) Then I found out you could use powered temper paint. Sure I can now get really blue- blues, and vivid reds that are safe but at the same time it sort of took the fun out of it. Don't know why? I guess I liked trying to get different colors from herbs , after all it is herbal soaps I was mak'in.

It is also one of the many supplements used in the treatment of autism. Autism is an immune disorder and inflammation is involved in many of the areas of the body. The brain, the bloodvessels leading to the heart and brain, the endocrine system and inflammation of the gut.

I have been giving it ito family for a couple of years now. I can not tell if it is working or not???? I have so much going on to cure them; Low carb diet, turmeric, vit D, vit C, methly vit B 12, N-acetyl cysteine, insitol, L-carnitine, B6, vitamin B complexes,

See Sharon! You do not have to be old to have to look at this stuff. My kids are coming into their early 20's, and their health is as delicate as any person thinking they are looking like their mother or father in the mirrow.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #8164825

Every time I write an article, I learn so much more from the rest of you.
Thank you for all this added information.

Ambar, keep right on raising those kids like that, you are doing good.

Thanks!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 19, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #8164928

Some people tell me that they can't stand turmeric because it has a bitter taste. To me, it doesn't have much taste at all. It sort of gives a subtle base note to ginger and garlic. And together ginger, garlic and turmeric will go a long way toward keeping an immune system healthy through the winter. Apparently some people have genetic anomalies that make turmeric taste bitter to them.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #8164935

Sometimes I can taste it in Indian cuisine, soups, curries, but as you say, it blends well with other flavors so the taste is subtle. I don't think it's bitter, just subtly distinct.

That probably makes no sense at all, but it is hard to describe.
bungo
Glasgow
United Kingdom

October 25, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #8174446

I can occasionally buy fresh tumeric from Pakistani grocers here in Glasgow andd it is rather special, finely chopped or grated in a curry but be wraned - always wear gloves when handling it. My first time I washed up afterward and thought I'd got rid of the yellow fingers till I went outdoors. In natural light I looked like the world's worst chain-smoker! It took several days of repeated scrubbing with a nailbrush to return my cuticles to normal.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 25, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #8174569

bungo: how would you describe the taste of the fresh turmeric?
bungo
Glasgow
United Kingdom

October 25, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #8174932

I suppose the best way to explain it would be that fresh is a bit 'more so' (intense? pungent?) than groiund which has a slightly dustry smell. But either way it's quite a subtle taste. If you are making a curry with fresh turmeric you would add it at the same time as root giner and garlic, let it fry gently for a couple of minutes to soften and release the fragrance. If using ground turmeric you add it with the other ground spices so it tends to get lost among the stronger ones like cumin or coriandor.

Looking back on that I realise I'm talking about smell as much if not more than taste - hard to describe one without the other!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 25, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #8175398

So I can hide the taste of turmeric (and mine claim they can taste it) with cumin and chili powder - well great because come winter all we eat is my chili, 12 bean soup, and moraccain stew all of which has chili and cumin in it.

Yes I have tried frying it in oil before cooking with it because someone here on Dave's gardent told me to do so last winter. Yes, it helped a lot and I have been sneaking it in somewhat that way.

This Curcumin - the stuff that is the yellow part of turmeric ---Right???
How is that in recipes? How does that compare to turmeric? Is it more musty or less?
billure
tavira
Portugal

October 25, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #8175794

Turmeric is also excellent as a treatment for arthritis, and along with glucosamine, keeps us
old codgers going! Pretty plant, but never managed a flower in Portugal.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #8175917

I am enjoying your conversations and learning as I read them.
Thank you!
Jakarta
Indonesia

November 2, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #8191589

Something about turmeric's taste, not all turmeric has same taste.

Some turmeric were grown as flavoring agents or oil, this has subtle to no taste at all, just odor. Other than as spice, this can also be made candies, pickles and other sweets.

Some were grown for their medicinal value. These ones are usually the more bitter and stronger tasted. And sometimes more expensive as well. This can be eaten as well, but would felt a bit bitter there.

Some were grown as coloring agents. They have very little value as spice, but the color is strong and very hard to wash off. This is what we can get from instant curry packages. The odor is almost non-existent and the texture is very fine and smooth.

One of the most famous (and better tasting) use of turmeric in traditional medicine is a mixture of turmeric, Indian tamarind and palm sugar.

The difference between taste, odor and colorations of various turmeric product is related to its harvesting condition like the plant's age, the rhizome's size and preservation methods and the plant's variety itself.

In my country, Indonesia, turmeric was valued not only for its rhizomes. The whole plant is considered edible, the leaves taste just as good and equally healthy and the flower is also a delicacy.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #8191594

Thank you so much for all your information.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 6, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #8198018

Time to reorder those orange - big enough to choke a horse curcumin pills. Poor family I counted my duaghter's pills tonight and she is taking 10 vitamin pills plus all her other prescription medicine too.

So I was thinking on that chili- much better to eat it than swallow a pill now and then.

So does anyone know where you can purchase curcumin - not as an expensive vitamin pill but perhaps a cheaper SPICE?
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 7, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #8198989

I buy turmeric 500 mg supplements at Walmart--in the section where supplements are sold. I don't think they are expensive. Use 2 for making a pot of chili or soup. You can use it any kind of heated food that starts out with oil and ends with chopped garlic ---a powerhouse pair. I don't swallow the pills. Just empty the capsules into the pot and cook.

I use cinnamon the same way. Cinnamon toast. About 6 capsules of cinnamon, 1/2 t organic sugar, 1 t ground ginger and 2 or 3 t of toasted sesame seeds. Sprinkle on hot toast.

I also buy the cinnamon capsules at Walmart in the supplement section.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2010 8:46 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Turmeric Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Another Great Article DEMinPA 8 Oct 19, 2010 7:23 PM
Religious importance too pejiduta8 1 Oct 19, 2010 8:50 AM
Strange no one mentioned planting it!! Mbfirey 4 Oct 26, 2010 4:00 AM
Spice cabinet 3pmp 1 Oct 25, 2010 4:21 PM
Cure all peoniae 1 Oct 25, 2010 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America