Photo by Melody

Wildlife Gardening: What's the story on bullfrogs?

Communities > Forums > Wildlife Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Wildlife GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8164350

I understand they are not native here in the Pacific Northwest and do a great deal of damage to native critters like the green tree frog and others. Should we attempt to catch and euthanize them or what? Until I learned of their predatory nature I was pleased when I heard them. Now I consider them a threat and wonder what to do about it.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8172917

Being from the Mid-South, I cannot help you. We have lots of bullfrogs...so there is a hunting season from April until December (In our state.) I don't remember the exact number but somewhere around 20 per day limit. This keeps the numbers close to the same.

Maybe someone from your area will be by soon to answer.
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #8173547

I don't think anyone has come up with a particularly effective approach. Further east in the US, where they're native, they have native predators (besides duckmother) like trout, but I think where you are the only thing that much eats them is other bullfrogs. Which sorta just makes bigger bullfrogs who proceed to make more tadpoles.

So yeah, gig them if you get the chance, and feel free to dine. If you have control of a breeding area, you might trying draining it dry for a season - the adults will just hop away, but at least you've knocked off a year's worth of reproduction. Then reintroduce a native when you let it fill back up the next year.

http://www.invasivespecies.wa.gov/ maybe could be a starting point?
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #8175128

Thanks for your responses. I have been reading up on this and it sounds bigger than anything I can tackle. I was just so disappointed to find that something I had been enjoying hearing is not a good thing. I have heard of the disappearance of frogs so when I heard the bullfrog's call I was pleased but not now. The best I can do is try to develop a taste for frog legs and go hunting. Real, I'll look into "gigging" them. Right now I don't know what that means.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 25, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #8175437

Great fun

http://www.sbtoutdoors.com/fish_spears.htm
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #8176855

lone, thanks. Those are some mean looking "gigging" spears. Gigging for frogs is the least I can do. Those cute little native tree frogs deserve this effort from me. Not that I can really impact the bullfrog population but at least it would be something.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #8176967

I found that gigging is best done at night . Using a flashlight it reflects thier eyes , the best part is that they are tasty .

Something I have not tried but have read of the possibility of is that they do hibernate in the deeper soft mud of ponds/water . If a net were set /pushed down into the deeper mud in the warmer months , the frogs could be "harvested" in the winter months . Sounds plausible, could be more difficult in practice . Would also possibly disturb desireable native species . Gigging would be more selective .
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #8177504

The bullfrogs are big and the native frogs are small. Maybe a large mesh? Or maybe even if you pulled up a few natives, you could just snuggle them back down in the mud before they quite woke up enough to know what was going on?

I'm sorta picturing something shaped more like one of those basket crab traps than like a net.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2010 2:48 PM

This message was edited Oct 26, 2010 2:49 PM
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #8179070

Real and lone, you actually do this don't you? It's unheard of here in the PNW. There is no tradition of frog gigging since they are fairly recent introductions. These buggers have no natural predators here and we don't see frog legs on the menu anywhere. No wonder they are proliferating.
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8179215

Maybe that's the way to go as far as lessening the invasive damage - whatever yall's hunting and fishing organizations are start promoting it as the latest game fad. Kinda like not all that long ago, no one bow hunted, and now it's very chichi. And then some kind of foodie campaign for how to fix them. Or let the economic development folks have at it - somewhere in the world, they LURVE frog legs, only they've gigged out their native population, and would pay good money for imports. Maybe the brand logo could be a little smirking tree frog...

Yall would have a tradition of spearing salmon, right? The skill should transfer. (Hmm, or maybe yall could train bears to catch bullfrogs...)
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8182699

Ha Real, those are some very practical suggestions. Your idea of the smirking tree frog as a logo is perfect. Those beautiful little tree frogs deserve some help. Thanks so much for your input-original and right on the money.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America