Photo by Melody

Article: Dear Sheila (5) Clean up the veggie patch -- your first year has come to an end: What! Its time to start the Fall garden

Communities > Forums > Article: Dear Sheila (5) Clean up the veggie patch -- your first year has come to an end
bookmark
Forum: Article: Dear Sheila (5) Clean up the veggie patch -- your first year has come to an endReplies: 2, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 20, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #8165925

In the South the Fall garden starts in July. About now cabbages, kale, collards, winter lettuce are going in. Swiss Chard Bright Lights is a colorful addition along with violas, a splash of chrysanthemums, and even late blooming marigolds.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 20, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #8166193

It is October and I must agree gloria!

Gardening is as early as you can get in and staying as late as possible.
This year a big thing for me was to have fresh tomatoes untill frost. Frost came - it warmed up again and I still have them? Don't know how that happened? Frost was all around 'em but did not get them. God loves me best - I guess?

It will be November and the really hard freeze hits untill I am willing to give it up. Right now it's turnips, lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, onions, broccoli, and I still have the tomatoes and the green peppers!

Yes! I am bragging!

But this sweet letter is to a first year gardner, so too much too soon could discourage a young one.

I am afraid I did a bad thing this year to new gardeners this year.

Our new neighbors have retired and moved to the country.
We gave them a plot of land for a garden this spring. They kept wanting it bigger and bigger and so we obliged 'em.

Then the neighbor bought a brand new tiller and (I don't think he understood that the thing that holds it back - goes into the ground - an anchor?) Well the anchor was not deep enough and the tiller pulled him all over the place. He decided he did not like it. So his wife weeded by hand and of course that is impossible. She was exhausted by early August, he had his corn up by then and mowed between the rows.

I don't know if they will do a garden next year. Doesn't sound like it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #8166215

You're both right, that I took a narrow and colder-zone view of gardening in this series. I had hoped to get her to plant fall lettuce but didn't get to it. Well, this way she can learn about soil amending with the garden clear all at once.
I do appreciate you raising the point about fall gardening. Thanks for reading and commenting!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Dear Sheila (5) Clean up the veggie patch -- your first year has come to an end Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Priceless! Gymgirl 1 Oct 20, 2010 11:29 AM
What? meezersfive 1 Nov 25, 2011 7:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America