Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Propagation: Dividing creeping phlox

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 7, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8165941

I have a pink creeping phlox that is at least 3 years old and it really has spread so that it really needs dividing bad. Do I take my digging fork and lift the entire plant and then pull the plant apart into more sections before replanting it? I took a cutting of the one emerald blue/purple creeping phlox I have managed to save over the years and last year I bought a lot of creeping pink plants, so I really need to buy nothing but the emerald blue/purple ones this coming Spring. Can you buy creeping phlox seeds from a mail order catalogue? Don't recall seeing any but I'm sure there must be some company that sells them. I thought everything starts from seeds, am I right?

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 22, 2010
10:48 PM

Post #8170770

Pippi, I really wonder if creeping phlox sets seeds. I have several different colors and have never seen seeds form.

Dig the plant up and just divide it. That is all I do. However, I recommend you do it when the plant is actively growing during early spring. Otherwise, it may not have time to adjust to survive the winter.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 22, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #8170772

Here is one of my favorites Phlox subulata. 'Candy Stripe'

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2010
4:08 AM

Post #8170854

Thanks for your response. I will leave them alone until Spring. I've looked through all my flower catalogue and can't find any seeds either. You'd think somebody would see the seeds..they've got to come from some type of seed in order to produce the plants, right? Here in Md. the plants are offered for sale very early..when it's still kind of cold even to plant and if you don't get them early..they are gone the next week when you go back or look so bad that you don't want them.I think maybe the frost kills them or garden center staff waters them with hard spray of water.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #8173648

Also, you might try and pin the runners down with hairpins and when they root transplant them. It's a good idea for spring as well.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 24, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #8174306

Actually I never saw the need to pin the runners. They tend to root on their own. If you run your hand under, you can tell where it is rooted, then cut with a knife and dig up that part in the spring.

In the fall as part of my cleanup, I trim back much of the season's growth. It makes for a fuller and healthier plant. Done in the fall, no blooms are lost.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9077657

I saw or read somewhere recently that a gardener uses their digging fork to lift up the creeping phlox that they want to divide, shakes the soil loose from it and it is easy to divide into sections to be transplanted. I would imagine the Fall is best time to do that.
I either read it on one of the forums or in some of the gardening magazines I've been looking at in the evenings before I go to bed.

In 2010 or 2011, I added about 8 new pink creeping phlox to the front flowerbeds and right now, they are stunning in "pink" I took a picture yesterday. About 3 weeks ago, I bought Emerald blue creeping phlox plants..a tray of pots..Yesterday I realized I had two Emerald Blue plants in front of the garage. I must have divided them last year and transplanted them.

I saw that candy stripe variety and it is pretty. May be tempted to buy a few to mingle in with the solid pink ones. The foliage on my pink ones that I bought last year is different from the ones that I already had in my flowerbeds, yet they were labeled creeping phlox.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2012 9:24 PM
PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9079903

Pippi21, I have several "Candy Stripe" plants, some are reverting to solid pink in places. It still looks lovely! I will be separating some plants next week to give a friend and we are taking up an area at the corner of the driveway, ASAP so it will be done whether it is the best time or not.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America