Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bitter Dock: Dock handmade paper

Communities > Forums > Article: Bitter Dock
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bitter DockReplies: 3, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GinPetty
Berea, KY

October 20, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #8165972

It's possible to make an incredibly beautiful paper from just the leaf stems of both common and curly dock. It reminds me ever so much of marbled paper.

Thumbnail by GinPetty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8165980

Gin,
Hello Berea! One of my favorite places...

That truly is beautiful paper, and does indeed look marbled. Amazing. I've made papers upon papers while teaching art, but nothing as lovely as that. Incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of Berea, is Bybee Pottery still operating? I haven't visited there in years, but would love to come back again. And not only for Bybee, but for all the fine arts and crafts that Berea is known for.
Such a wondrous place!
GinPetty
Berea, KY

October 20, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #8166084

Thank you. You've made paper, so I know you have more than a passing appreciation of fibers and working with them.

As for Bybee, yes, it's still around. Awhile back there were rumors going around that the clay was giving out and Bybee would be closing, but there's no truth in it.

Yes, Berea is a wondrous place, and if you're ever over this way, let me know. I'd love to take you around and introduce you to artisans you'd never otherwise meet.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #8166735

Gin,
I grew up in southeast KY, near the Virginia line. I went to Georgetown College because I got a great scholarship there, and at the time a lot of my friends went to Eastern KY U, some went to Morehead and others went to Berea. So we visited each other often. I loved Berea for the arts/crafts opportunities. When I taught art in Louisville, I would go back to Berea often, but I've spent the last 30 years here in WKY, and seems I'm stuck here.

But the next time I go back home to Letcher County, I'm going to take a side trip to Berea, and when that happens, I'll let you know. I have to see more of your beautiful fiber arts.
Thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bitter Dock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
color phases gloria125 15 Oct 13, 2010 4:18 PM
Bitter dock and curly-leaf dock fp 3 Oct 18, 2010 8:16 AM
Something to dye for 3pmp 1 Oct 19, 2010 7:17 AM
Aunt Bett MAINE_CAL 1 Oct 19, 2010 7:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America