Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: clivia?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2001
5:30 PM

Post #15278

hi all

I have had this a couple of years but this is the first time it has flowered. the flowers are creamy yellow with green tips. the leaf base looks just like a clivia but the leaves grow to about 2.5 feet long.

thanks

Mark

Thumbnail by mark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

perLite
Petaluma, CA

October 7, 2001
5:38 PM

Post #141945

You'd likely know if you had a yellow Clivia. They're enormously expensive. It does rather resemble one... I'd not expect it to bloom until February or so. Maybe it just likes you a WHOLE LOT and is blooming early. I like the green tips on the flowers. Wish I were more help. :)perL
maddy
Sodwana Bay KZN
South Africa

October 8, 2001
8:58 PM

Post #142857

Hi Mark,
I think this could be Clivia gardenii, although the colour is very pale.
Mine is almost 2 years old now, I grew it from seed, it has still a looong way to go... can't wait 'til it flowers!
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/cliviagarden.htm
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2001
9:06 PM

Post #142862

thanks for the info Maddy. it does look like that but the color is wrong.

where in RSA are you? I have relatives in Durban and have links to outside J0'burg. I've been twice already and I'm planning to go back this time next year if a trip to Canada falls through.

when my web site is finished you will see that I grow lots of SA plants including annuals and bulbs. do you grow native plants or exotics?

Mark
maddy
Sodwana Bay KZN
South Africa

October 8, 2001
10:32 PM

Post #142914

Hi Mark,
Well, the colour can vary quite a bit. There is a picture of C.gardenii in the Kirstenbosch booklet 'Grow Clivias' which is a lot paler than the one in the link above. It could well be, and it certainly is special!
I grow mainly succulents, bulbs and some xerophytic orchids, predominantly indigenous, all the species Clivias including the yellow miniata (still seedling size, I couldn't afford the big ones!). Not only native though, I have broms and epiphytic cacti, too.
I'm just outside Jo'burg, give me a shout if you should come back here! :-)
maddy
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2001
10:34 PM

Post #142916

Removed by member request
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2001
4:33 AM

Post #143093

thats no problem Mz.

Maddy as you know flights always stop at Jo'burg so next time I'll give you a shout.

Mark
maddy
Sodwana Bay KZN
South Africa

October 9, 2001
7:45 AM

Post #143142

Hi Mz! :-) Great! my Amaryllis are flowering right now...
My attendance in these forums is a bit erratic, sorry I never sent an intro and said a formal HI to all!
Mark, just book early enough, flights to SA are getting more and more scarce, and are constantly booked out!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America