Question about maintaining a fire in a woodstove-

temple, United States

Hello everyone. We have been having a friendly disagreement here about the best way to keep the fire going in our Intrepid wood stove.

Person "T" starts with the stove burning nicely and full of wood, but opens the stove every 20 minutes, pokes the contents around with the poker and puts another log in as soon as one will fit.

Person "J" also starts with the stove burning nicely and full of wood, but he lets the stove alone to burn undisturbed. Then, after several hours, when all the wood is reduced to brightly glowing coals, he refills the stove with wood and leaves it alone again to burn undesturbed.

Person "J" is sure person "T" is wasting tons of wood doing it his way, but since person "T" has a hard head and won't believe person "J", person "J thought it might help if person "T" heard it from other people who don't even know him.

So what's the consensus? Thanks- in advance...

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Someone who has a woodstove will probably be able to answer your question, but you could always figure it out yourselves--do it person T's way one day and person J's way the next day and keep track of how many logs are used up each time. If one way uses a lot more wood than the other it should be pretty obvious.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

The answer to this is most likely a diaper, as in it depends. Draft setting, wood quality and size and are they -T and J trying to get the maximum amount of heat out of the stove or not all effect the out come. T's method should get the maximum heat out of the stove but it may use a lot of more wood for the amount of heat they are getting -or not. J's method is more or less the most common way to run a wood stove.

I vary from T's way to J's way depending on if I have to get the maximum heat out of the stove or not. If they aren't I'd say T needs to find something else to occupy His time.

If it is a couple she's right and he might as give in and go use his energy to cut some more wood. :-)

Sorry to not give you a definitive answer as I don't think there is one.

I'll bet this isn't the only thing like this they argue about.

temple, United States

Quote from Doug9345 :

If it is a couple she's right and he might as give in and go use his energy to cut some more wood. :-)

Sorry to not give you a definitive answer as I don't think there is one.

I'll bet this isn't the only thing like this they argue about.

LOL- Nope- we're not a couple, this is a father/son type argument. So this doesn't help me at all! I need to hear "'J' is right and "T" is a knuckle head- that's the sort of response I'm looking for!

Well... seriously, I thank you two for your information. We'll settle this thru experimentation and the scientific method. I'll let you know what we find out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.