Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Kitchens: Your opinion on Faucet Position Please

Communities > Forums > Kitchens
bookmark
Forum: KitchensReplies: 16, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 20, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #8167089

We are doing a Kitchen remodel. Granite countertops and an undermount sink are part of the remodel. The sink /cabinet is in front of a window so there isn't much space behind the sink before the window wall begins. Front to back the cabinet isn't deep enough to allow the sink that I would like (side to side is fine.) I am considering either the Blanco or Swanstone granite/composite. The granite planned as countertolps has certain installation requirements and must have set backs to assure stability for the granite. Postioning the faucet in a traditional position (center of sink along the back end) doesn't leave enough room to get the large sink that I would like ---placing the faucet along the right hand facing the sink will. The faucet will extend over pretty far into the sink (as it would in the traditional back of the sink position) The spray is a pull down from the faucet output. I can't see any reason why I should not / could not put it along that right side. Do you have any experience with non-traditional faucet positioning in your kitchens? Any thoughts or considerations that you would have if you considered similiar? The temp adjustment is on the faucet (one lever type) so I would not have to reach over or around running water if I want to adjust. I will post this in other forums that might be appropriate. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 21, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8167713

bump
organiceramic
Clarion, PA

October 21, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #8168563

if it doesn't bother you, then who cares? It's your kitchen afterall. What about making just the sink cabinet bigger ? Do you have the floor space to bump it out 3 inches or so? Cabinets don't have to all be in a perfect line. Or just bump the current cabinet out a few inches from the wall and have a carpenter make a shelf where the spigot comes out.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 21, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8168626

Right. I have no problem making the decision --- I was wondering if anybody did it and if there were issues I had not thought of.

Cabinets all installed.. Frameless ...fit is snug..seamless... center island with drop in range and all the propane attachments etc. etc. is right behind where we stand at the sink ..so floor space an issue right there ..no room to bump.

I can't see any issue with the faucet placement to the side --but others with experience in design or who have done it may have advice or experiences that would be helpful to hear.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #8168737

The only issue I can think of is that you're probably going to have to cut into part of the cabinet that's next to the sink in order to be able to get the water lines to the faucet. But if you're able to do that then it should be fine as long as it's not in your way when you're doing other things around the kitchen.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8184808

One things on the composite sink...We installed one in April and honestly if I had to do it again, I would pick stainless steel. Not that I like the look of stainless, but it is almost impossible to keep the composite sink looking clean. Ours is the beige color and looks fantasic with our granite countertops, but is a real hassle. I use Tilex to clean it up and it does clean up, but every little thing will leave a mark even if you think you have rinsed it out.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 30, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #8185314

I wonder why you are having that problem Shuggins -- what I keep reading is that the sinks are indestructible (except pouring hot water may crack so you have to run the cold water while pouring but even that issue nowadays (it was a problem mostly with Moen composite sinks a few years ago when composites got popular) seems not to be there as the temp is warranted higher for liquids at and above boiling. Supposed to be stain free totally. There are some rules that are fairly rigid about what you can use with the sinks and I have read that bleach is a big no no and manufacturers won't warranty if you use bleach. The granite guy has a few chefs that are using it in commercial kitchens. Thanks for the info - I will check into that - don't want to deal with a lot of stains (although the sink is black granite). Once it is down.. I want it to be the last redo. The water from our well may turn the stainless a 'rust' color (it won't actually rust) but it has happened that stainless gets this tea stain on it from the well water. I did find an ElKay sink that has a great 'brush' on the stainless - 16 gauge sink..and the brush lines incorporate a bit of a shine/sparkle every now and again as part of the brush stroke. I think if scratches happen (and they will) the scratch appears 'shiny' and so I think on this brushed stainless treatment --the scratches will hide real well.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8296271

When you guys say 'composite' sinks, are you talking about the solid surface, like Corian brand?
I didn't know you couldn't put boiling water in them? Well I guess it wouldn't be STILL boiling, but like if you cooked spaghetti, veggies ect and wanted to use a colander to drain the liquid down the drain?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 7, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8296835

Composite materials can be acrylic and granite --- Silestone (what is it perhaps quartz maybe??) and a polymer the materials depend on the manufacturer -- so comosite means just not one material.

The 'granite' sink I bought is a Swanstone and I forget the % but it was 90 or better solid granite (pulverized) and added with a polymer to help it mold into a shape and hold together. The older versions (Moen has a bad name --or it used to) cracked with heat. Even boiling water could not be tolerated. The Swanstone warrants up to over 500 degrees. But I am still a little wary about the hot to cold issue. So the thing to do is to run warm water before you pour. It is the shock from cold to hot that cracks it.
dirt_digger
Longwood, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8440647

I have a Swanstone sink that is over 10 years old, and I love it. I clean it with Bon Ami or baking soda -- occasionally a dab of bleach. It looks so much better to me with less care than any stainless steel sink I ever owned. I have drained boiling water into it from shrimp or spaghetti many times without a care.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 21, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8440915

Digger - that makes me feel better. I have had it for a while now and still tempering the water with a shot of cold before I pour. Do you have the Swanstone granite?

I LOVE it too. I got the black onyx. It matches real well to the black galaxy granite and the stainless appliances. The sink is so deep I can put a 2+ year old it in up to her neck (no kidding) -- it has the raised side (like a 'step' in the sink that allows me to wash and place soapy items to the side). The main sink is very large and the step up is ...maye 12 by 10 and about 6 inches or so higher than the bottom sink. I have just washed it with dishsoap and a Dobie Pad -- it is black and so can't see any stains. Sort of a dull sparkly rock look. I am glad I decided to get it.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8441414

Okay, so I found a much easier way to eliminate stains in our beige sink...Magic Eraser! They must have changed the formula because I tried them years ago and was totally unimpressed, but they work much better now and immediately clear up any stains that are in the sink!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 21, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8441730

Shug
What is your sink made of? Does the Magic Eraser fall apart if you get it wet? I thought it was a dry eraser.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8460547

You have to wet the magic eraser for it to work. You don't want it all sopping & dripping wet, but it does need to be damp. And it's designed to wear away as you use it so it will fall apart eventually and you'll have to get another one. It'll wear away and fall apart faster if you're cleaning rough surfaces with it (textured wall, grout, etc).
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 30, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8461197

Here is a photo of sink during construction - not easy to see the depth etc., but it is the best I can find...also the faucet.

I am going to check with manufacturer to see if magic eraser can be used.

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8461391

As was stated, it does evidently wear away, but I have using the same one for at least a month, so it takes awhile. I don't know if the manufacturer okays it or not, but with our light beige sink, soap and water wasn't getting it and it looked filthy all the time. Kind of like a nice black car that is beautiful when it is clean, but it is never clean! LOL! I haven't noticed any discoloring, roughness or any other issues with it, so I will keep using it. If the manufacturer comes back and says that it is not a good idea, I would like to hear what they have to say.

BTW, you kitchen looks great!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 30, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8461685

Ok.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 199 Sep 4, 2014 7:05 AM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America