Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Coleus: HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION

Communities > Forums > Coleus
bookmark
Forum: ColeusReplies: 23, Views: 362
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

October 21, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #8167828

Does anyone have a coleus similar to this? I've been trying to find a name, but so far no luck. I've been calling it inky pink, but I don't think it really is. It does NOT do well in sun, but does well in deep shade. It gets leggy easily and has to be pinched frequently. It does not flower easily. It changes will age, and at times the contrast in dark and bright is more and it's very pretty. In winter it gets almost all the dark color.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 21, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #8167986

Distantly resembles Hot Sauce?
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

October 23, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #8171907

I'd bet on Hot Sauce. Looks just like mine!
goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #8171922

It's Tabasco, aka Tobasco, aka Mississippi Summer, aka Molten Lava, aka apparently Hot Sauce (that's a new one for me) and who knows how many more. Don't you just love the naming thing.
dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

October 23, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #8171946

No kidding ... I find that by moving my plants around I have about a thousand different cultivars. I am finding there are less real named cultivars than you would think, it just depends on who's selling it and when( temp. has a lot to do with it also). : ) I still love coleus !!!!!

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

October 24, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #8172983

Hi,
That's okay if we can't id it perfectly. At least we can say it's LIKE a particular kind when communicating with other coleus friends. Does tabasco have a tendency to get leggy, and does it prefer shade and do poorly in sun? Those are the characteristics of mine, which might be an offshoot. Speaking of shoot's... a sport of this plant had a lot of green, and looked exactly like 'rattlesnake'. Coleus sure are interesting plants !!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #8186734

All coleus (Just about) can get leggy. If you don't pinch the growing tips the main stem just reaches for the sky. Also the tiny coleus pinching can be rooted.
Another leggy cause is putting them too close together followed by not pinching.
I have a few 'bank's of coleus getting 3' high. Looks like big individual bush, but is a dozen pots of each cultivar.
Since the city cut down my two huge Live Oaks and all of my dappled shade.
My 'still pumping' coleus are all half as colorful as they were before the trees were removed. Looks like bleach was put on them all.
Sidney

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

October 31, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #8186841

Oh wow, sugarweed, that's terrible. Were the Oaks diseased? What a shame. You'll have to get some 'sedona'. Mine sure did look pretty in almost full sun. Also 'twist n twirl', and 'rustic orange', and 'freckles' did well in real hot sun this year. The reddish one is 'sedona'.

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

October 31, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #8186844

This one is 'freckles'

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

October 31, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #8186848

And my 'twist n twirl'. I dug this one up as it got quite big, and put it in a pot which I brought in a few weeks ago. I'll start some cuttings from it next month.

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #8187282

Is Sedona the same as Alabama or Texas Sunset? Yours is so pretty. If so, mine is really sick. It's really washed out. It barely has any color at all.
It may be the difference in the longer hours of sun we get down here compared to up in NJ.
All of your coleus are knockouts.
I am going to move to Lake Okeechobee and start a new business giving tours on an all electric pontoon that has four solar panels on the top of the canopy.
We will go silently thru the Audubon Sanctuary there.
My trees were just fine, but were on the right-of-way, so I had no say. The branches reached across 4 lanes of traffic.
They are going to replace the water main, and said the trees were on top of it. I will have someone watching very closely to see if their removal was really necessary.
It's time to re think life for me.
Thanks,
Sidney

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

February 11, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8366171

Sedona seems to vary a lot with light and temperature and definetly is no so pretty in the winter. I think that picture of mine is a little too red for reality though. It's sometimes hard to get a really accurate picture. I'll try again. I toned this one down and I think it looks more realistic. This is in the summer and it's getting about 6 hours of sun a day, mostly morning and a little late afternoon.

dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

February 11, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8366400

Sedona is not very attractive in the winter

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv

dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

February 11, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8366405

But give her some sun and heat and Wow !!!!!

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv

dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

February 11, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8366726

I got this cutting on the River Walk in San Antonio Texas any ideas I'm thinkin Glennis but every pic I see is different.

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv

weloveouryard
Jupiter, FL

February 11, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8366753

My Gennis looks nothing like this... very pretty.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8366785

Glennis, here on July 17th.

Thumbnail by pirl

dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

February 11, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8366804

the speckling on the leaf is why I think it's Glennis but every pic I see is different colors.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8366823

I agree. It is one very variable plant.
dragonmanlv
Springdale, UT

February 11, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8367009

sugarweed... this is Sedona and Alabama Sunset. When it warms up Alabama turns a beautiful shade of Putty Pink . They are very different.

Thumbnail by dragonmanlv

scalplantmaniac
Vista, CA

May 14, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8563284

Sedona is a sport from Freckles (the one that is currently often available from Proven Selections/Winners, not the one that was around in the late 1990s). It is a patented plant so one would think cuttings for sale plants are carefully chosen, but that doesn't seem to be the case. At a retail nursery a month ago I got a "Sedona"--with patent label and all--that is a sport (not a reversion--it is nothing like Freckles) with mottling. Will be interesting to see if it is stable or just an interesting unstable mutation. Sedona is often very orangish, while Alabama Sunset has an airbrushed approach to the pigment placement. The one thought to be Glennis looks like one of the old Solarô series, but while I've had them all, some look so similar I never learned to tell them apart. If the plant attains husky stems and large leaves chances are it is one of the Solarôs.
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8682942

Here's a picture of our hot sause, looks similar but different than the first photo

Patrick and Donna

Thumbnail by stplong

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8683973

It also looks just like Tabasco, the original "hot sauce". LOL
Sidney

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

July 11, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8685284

Wow, that's really pretty, stplong. I think it is indeed the plant I have, but your's looks much nicer. What kind of light do you have it in? Is it getting any direct sun?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coleus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
OFA Containers goodoldbake 61 Jul 17, 2010 5:21 AM
Tree- shaped coleus Tomtom 67 Mar 23, 2011 8:41 AM
New project georgiagarden3 26 Apr 3, 2007 8:06 AM
Coleus standards..how to.. Eclipse 44 Feb 15, 2009 1:10 PM
1200 Step coleus addiction Program sugarweed 180 Mar 11, 2008 1:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America