Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

We got this in the mail today.Have no clue what it is or how to root it.And you guys know what a failure I am at rooting.This is what the guys who sent it to us said: I sent you a package--overnight mail--u guys seem to be into plants---this is a tropical from the rain forrest in Brazil---loves lots of humidity--i get them every year--they get like a bushy tree--filled with purple flowers all season. It got so big i have no room for it---so i sent u cuttings---thats how my nursaey does it---thought u might like to try it.-hope it survives & that u like it---if not, toss it.--Cant think of the name of it at the moment.
OK ,going on that and the picture can anyone help me???PPLLEEAASSEEE........ Its so pretty I don't want to kill it. crestedchik

This message was edited Saturday, Oct 6th 7:54 PM

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Petaluma, CA

I'm stumped on this one. It sure is beautiful. I love the texture of those leaves! Will look around a bit in my books here. Having its place of origin is a good clue... may have more later. -perL

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks,I cliped the ends,took off most of the leaves and stuck in water for the moment.Hope some one finds it befor I kill it.Maybe I should put some in soil with rooting hormone and leave some in water????

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

I did some searching -could it be tibouchina organensis

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

the flower buds do look like a tibouchina.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It looks like it might be a tibouchina. The leaves on mine look like that and so do the flower buds, just not on a stem like that.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

OK ,how do I root it???

Well if it is tibouchina I recieved some cuttings in a trade and the lady told me they rooted well in water. I know this isnt really helpful just thought I would pass on the info

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

here's a link on propagating, it doesn't mention tibouchina by name, but it might help.
http://www.weallandcullen.com/Propagating.html

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

Sprout ,did they root???I think I'm going to try some in water and some in soil.I hope this works .I love the looks of it!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

CC
I've rooted tibouchina in soil, but it took a long time and I lost some of the cuttings. I think one needs to use semi-hardwood cuttings.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

OOHHHHH now I'm scared!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.