Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant): What to do now?

Communities > Forums > Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)Replies: 2, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jbush712
Columbia, TN

October 21, 2010
10:43 PM

Post #8168903

I am new to this web site, and also to my new home. We just purchased a seven year old home that has fourteen Bradford Pear trees lining the driveway. After reading most of the above posts, and also based on my previous knowledge of this tree, I am determined to do something about them before they start to create problems. As yet there are no suckers, but there is uneven growth up the base of the trunks, with some limbs starting low to the ground, and other trees starting their limbs about three to four feet off the ground. This makes for difficult mowing around them, and some of the lower limbs have actually broken off with minimal contact. Having trees to line the drive is a nice touch, but what can I use to replace these with that will not be a hazard, and that will be uniform? I am not a fan of evergreens, and anyway have a myriad of them around the house.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #8206296

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. You are very wise to consider replacing them now, and finding a suitable replacement. Since they are less than 10 years old it will much easier to eradicate them.

The most ideal replacement is best narrowed down by going to the USDA Tennessee plants sites. Get a list of all your native trees and select what you love from them. Trees are an important commitment to make, and you are fortunate to make your choice this early.

Please let me know what you decide on, or if you need any more help narrowing it down.

:-Debnes
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #8207907

jbush~
Here is a link someone shared and I thought I would pass it along to you...

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/midatlantic/pyca.html

Deb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
reminds me of the Norway Maple! carrielamont 4 Feb 27, 2008 8:03 PM
Great Article! JanetS 2 Oct 15, 2007 2:41 AM
New Start LouC 15 Sep 18, 2010 7:37 PM
Super informative - thanks! Dea 7 Oct 17, 2007 1:40 PM
trinity pear cathy4 1 Oct 14, 2007 6:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America