Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Autumn Fun: Visit a Pumpkin Patch!: Eastern Kentucky too!

Communities > Forums > Article: Autumn Fun: Visit a Pumpkin Patch!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Autumn Fun: Visit a Pumpkin Patch!Replies: 4, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 23, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #8171223

We went on a day trip this past Thursday. Everyone was off from work and school.
We went down to Cumberland Gap.
My kids wanted to see Middlesburro the town located in the middle of an ancient meteor crater.

The meteor is responsible for the gap in the mountains too, it changed the direction of the Cumberland River and left a gap in the mountains.

They have also built a tunnel under the mountains now and it was amazing to see that also..

We ate dinner at Ryans in Middlesburo, visited the Cumberland Gap visitor center, enjoyed the fall leaves and the fall weather.
On our return trip we turned off at Pineville to see Clear Creek Baptist College, and traveled a very scenic route to see Henderson Settlement. Henderson Settlement is a large track of land owned by the Methodist Church - including part of the huge Pine Mountian. We crossed over Pine Mountain (they now have a paved road) and traveled another scenic route that runs along side the Cumberland River to Williamsburg.

On our way to Henderson Settlement we ran into one of these Fall Farms. They had pumpkins, tractors, wagons, and a corn maze.
We stopped off and walked the maze. Last Fall I read about these mazes in a magazine while waiting for my son in a orthodonist office, but this fall I actually got to walk one.

I sure hope Wurth Farms includes a maze for the kids because it sure is a lot of fun!!!!!

For those living in Lexington and Richmond, even as far away as Cinncinati I would recommend this trip! It was great fun, and we saw a lot on such a short trip.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8174633

They have a hay bale maze. Big round bales of hay make up the maze. It is geared toward smaller children, but is still lots of fun.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 25, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #8174910

That type of maze would last longer!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #8174911

Yep, and it is recyclable. The cattle eat the hay after the season is done.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 25, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #8175389

I have often wondered about that because; Last year in that magazine I read in the Orthodonist office - that had all the different pictures of different corn mazes (oh they were beautiful) - but they were huge - all out in flat country of Indiana and Illinois. But I thought they might harvest the corn early for the maze and still be able to harvest the stuff left standing later on?
Surely they do because these mazes in the magazine covered 30 - 50 acres- that's a lot of corn..

How about that for a maze. They even had rest stops in them!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Autumn Fun: Visit a Pumpkin Patch! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article, great pictures! Horseshoe 1 Oct 25, 2010 1:04 PM
Great fun 3pmp 3 Sep 17, 2012 9:05 AM
Pumpkins g_whizz 1 Sep 15, 2012 5:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America