Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Did some maintenance on the cars

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Wife's 03 Outback got new brake pads. I had put some Wagner pads (on sale w/rebate from RockAuto) on but never liked them. Replaced them with Centric PosiQuiet. MUCH better. and not expensive. The Wagners still had a lot of material left. They must be buitl for long-life but they were actually frightening with 4 passengers or my wife and I and some gear in the back. Oil/filter change is easy on her car. Adjusted the parking brake but I need to take another look at that. I think I rolled the adjuster the wrong direction on one side. I replaced a bad front windshield washer pump. It seemed to have been destroyed from battery acid/water/fumes w'ever. The $15 replacement from, Auto Zone is working well.

My 06 WRX Sportwagon got oil/filter, transmission/front diff oil, rotate tires and new front brake pads. I put Stoptech Street performance pads on the front and they are very grippy! Those calipers are so easy to work on.

We don't put excessive mileage on our cars so I usually do this type stuff in April and October.

Missouri City, TX

Wow, another Subaru owner.

We are on #5 - a 2010 Legacy sedan, but still have our #2 - 1990 Legacy LS w/360k plus on engine and body.

Did all my own maintenance for years on the older models, but with all the covers, and computer control, I use an outside service now.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

These are our first.

The youngest daughter totaled the wife's Ford Windstar van and we had to have a vehicle that would carry here jewelry show gear.

We looked at several vehicles, 2 of which I really liked but they were a coupla K$ over our budget. narrowed it down to the 03 Outback and a Hyundai Santa Fe (IIRC). but the seats in th OBW felt better so we got it. Then I got on a coupla online soob-related Forums, and when it came time to replace my car, I knew I wanted and Impreza-based wagon. Drove a used OBS, then, with funds from my mom's estate, I decided to buy my 06 WRX wagon. I had been driving her 96 Dodge Avenger for a coupla years as her health prevented her from driving, before that, I had driven an 81 Civic wagon for almost 19 years!

So far, they have served us well. I think my wife would prefer something that has a higher profile like her old van, but the vehicles themselves have been as reliable as any we've owned.

It's tough here cause, you're a suspicious character if you don't drive a truck!

Missouri City, TX

I understand that one, being a Texan, too.

When we traded the 08 for the 10 we drove everything including the Tribeca - (I wanted it) - but it rode like a truck and so did the Forester.

Our favorite was our 1999 SUS - it wsa an Outback Sedan. The extra 1-2 inches of ground clearance was WONDERFUL.
I could ignore curbstones, and go ANYWHERE.

Tore the passanger rocker cover off on the 08 about 2 months after we got it in the normal rain flooded parking lot one day - I forgot about losing the ground clearance. A body shop reattached it the following morning, so no real damage done, but frustrating.

The 2010 is MUCH bigger - wider, taller, and I could actually sit in the back seat with my seat in my normal position, But the trunk opening shrunk. Still a great car - just returned form the Wurstfest in New Braunfels and averaged 31.9 mpg.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Wife's Outback got 4 new struts (one rear one was leaking oil) and a new front right half-axle(inner boot has been split for some time). I had never done struts before. That was an experience. After doing the rear struts I went and bought myself an impact wrench. MAN! do I wish I'd bought one 35 years ago!

both cars got oil/filter changes too.

Need to do a few minor things that can wait.

Missouri City, TX

Just traded the 2010 for a 2012 - dealer offered me so much I couldn't turn it down.

Subaru has a major buy back program going on.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from Bubba_MoCity :
Just traded the 2010 for a 2012 - dealer offered me so much I couldn't turn it down.

Subaru has a major buy back program going on.

They are always hurting for used Soobs to keep on the lot - folks just keep them forever.

I am in a financial situation where I HAVE to keep my cars until the wheels fall off!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.