Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 25, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #8175172

Just found your article on tree ferns. Thanks for writing this one. I just love the look of them and want to add them to my landscape as I incorporate more palms and cycads as well. I am so glad that I learned to water the trunk and crown on hot days from your article.

Can you tell me whether Dicksonia antarctica would be happy in containers for awhile? I would think that, since most of the roots are in the trunk, they would be happy in containers, but I mostly see them planted in the ground. If you've ever been to Joe's Crab Shack in Ventura, they have a lot of them in the ground, and they seem very happy there by the sea. They get a lot of shade and humidity there, I think.

I was hoping to get your opinion today on these pots that surround my hot tub. The area gets full sun until about 1:00 p.m. or so. I have ornamental bananas in them now that I'm going to take out. The four plants that are being considered for these pots are Dicksonia antarctica, Cycas revoluta, Howea forsteriana, or Phoenix roebelenii. Thanks so much for your help.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #8175674

You are going to plant Cycas revolutas like 99% of the rest of the world does? Too bad. I like the Howea forsteriana idea, but suggest something more interesting for the rest of the entourage, such as Parajubaeas and maybe some interesting Livistonas. Phoenix roebelleniis are OK, but also too common for such a yard with interesting potential. Parajubaeas have never been so cheap and available as they are now, and are fantastic palms for southern California. I would be bit leary of a tree fern near a hot tub, as tree ferns emit the most irritating scales and I am assuming most hot tub goers will be mostly naked, exposing themselves to those annoying and scratchy scales. Ferns LOOK soft but they are not. And I would perhaps keep the bananas there until all else is well established, as bananas make a great (and soft, by the way) shade plant for more tender things. Bananas do need trimming back all the time, but are very tropical looking and also have the additional bonus of making bananas.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 25, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8176128

LOL, Geoff. Thanks so much for your response. I just drove through downtown Camarillo. They have both planted and potted Sago palms everywhere. They are so pretty the way they have them planted. Some are quite large and old too. Okay. So I'll plant some of my Cycas revolutas in the ground. I'll forget the Dicksonia around the hot tub. I have very sensitive skin to that kind of thing so I better plant them out of the main areas.

Oh, and I'm definitely keeping my fruiting bananas. I have 35 different kinds. The only bananas that I'm going to pull out are the ornamental non-edible ones currently in the containers, and I was looking for palms to fit in those pots that would be content in them for a few years to come. I'll check out your Parajubaeas and Livistonas suggestions. I do have one Parajubaea planted in the back.

I so enjoy your articles and hope that you will keep producing them as your schedule permits. As always, thanks for your advice and guidance.

Clare

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Cold Hardy Tree Ferns Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Well, shucks! McGlory 8 Sep 10, 2009 12:30 AM
Maybe a new tree fern in brazil PauloBrazil 0 Sep 9, 2009 7:21 PM
My Cold Dicksonia's! NEILMUIR1 1 Jan 19, 2010 4:16 AM
After a freeze and defoliation rjuddharrison 1 Jan 21, 2010 1:30 AM
Cold Hardy Tree Ferns MarciaS 2 Jan 28, 2010 2:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America