Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Soil and Composting: Autumn Leaves

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 21, Views: 375
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #8176883

I'm collecting my leaves for mulch and compost.
These are from a church which has more lawn than parking ^^_^^
This is 18 bags on the tuck and there are another 12 bags laying in the garden.
I will run over them with the mower and till them in (when the wind quite blowing).
Always looking for more.

Dwight

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2010
11:45 PM

Post #8178693

Ah yes, its that time again! Last year I found out which neighbor loves to chop his leaves and put them out in nice handle tie bags which I can bring home. The ones I didn't put in compost, were saved and made great mulch for the veg garden.
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

October 30, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8185096

The word has been out in my neighborhood for several years now that I'll take everyt leaf the neighbors want to bring me. We pile them along my parking strip and when the accumulation is done, I have a pile of leaves 5 feet wide by 4 feet high and about 50 feet long. I sprinkle a small bit of dirt on top to keep them from blowing away in the wind, but otherwise do nothing at all with them until the following Aug/Sept. when I rake them into smaller piles. As I rake them, they simply crumble. Sometimes I will run my lawnmower over those that have compacted in the pile. The end result is beautiful shredded-like leaf mulch which I use to construct my first compost pile in September, and to mulch my potatoes, carrots and other root crops that I overwinter in the ground.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #8185210

I found this site today, may be interesting to some...
http://www.botanicalinterests.com/gardening_notes_tips/composting-leaves-pumpkins.html

Dwight
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #8187316

funny how word gets out on who wants leaves.. my friends will leave there bagged leaves on driveway.. and im grateful for them..
one neighbor has comment to me .."dont you think you have to much compost in your gardens?" LOL NOPE :)
i use mowed over leaves in garden to slow break down.. always save a big pile for composting following spring/summer..
and i use the mowed leaves for mulch on bulbs and perennials..
love what nature gives me..
Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

November 3, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8193241

Tropical nut...hello neighbor. I ran over old bagged leaves with my mower today, caught them in the catcher, and tilled them into a bed I'm preparing to plant iris seedlings in next spring. I save all my leaves, mostly oak, in wire bins to use the following year in compost piles. Our garbage service no longer picks up bags of leaves left for garbage day so I have neighbors save some. I used to pickup bags on the curb the night before garbage service but no more. Wonderful fall.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #8199986

paul..hey back at ya!! yea.. it has been a great fall.. i picked up 30+ bags last couple days..
hope to get alot more next week...im sure people wonder whats up with me and my truck with a heaping
load of bagged leaves.. LOL :)
i use all kind leaves..i just stay away from walnut..and waterchestnuts.. walnut because they inhibit
plant grown.. the waterchestnuts..because of those big seed pods..
provo seems to have alot of maples everywhere.. good stuff..
have a great thanksgiving all :)
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

November 9, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #8203382

I read somewhere that Black Walnut leaves contain a substance, the name of which escapes me for the moment, that inhibits other plant growth. However, I'm given to understand that English Walnuts either don't contain the substance or not enough to cause any problems. I have two English Walnut trees on my property and the growth (mostly weeds) underneath them is prolific. Maybe one of you gardening experts can settle this once and for all.
Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

November 9, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8203570

The substance is called Jutelin (not sure of the spelling). A well respected county agent that has a gardening radio call in show on KSL in Salt Lake City is often asked this question and has recently responded that current thought is that the problem with walnut leaves is vastly overstated or not true at all. He suggests, that if a person is concerned, to compost the leaves and he is sure there will be no problem. Having said this, English walnut leaves often blow into my yard in the fall and I send those with the garbage. I have enough other leaves not to need them.
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8205641

For your consideration, dear composters of Black Walnut: http://davesgarden.com/tools/tags/tag.php?tag=juglone

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #8206596

I sold my van last January so don't have a vehicle to collect leaves in this year. :( Our neighbor blows his leaves into our yard, and we have leaves from our own trees.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #8243442

I just posted here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8243433 what I do to mulch up a lot of my leaves without using a mower. It's pretty easy, and you can do it as you're raking up leaves vs piling them up and/or bagging them. If you do have to transport them, you can get a lot more this way into the bags, and make your job easier when you get them where you need them.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #8243620

Nice instructions; thanks for posting.
I have been sadly passing by many bags of UNshredded leaves. I just cannot stockpile all of them and deal with them, later.There are limits.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8245179

every yr in spring i kick myself for not collecting more leaves from the previous fall.. LOL with me im
sure its a compulsive/obsessive thing..lol but this yr with the help of neighborhood teens help in mowing down
leaves..i got a ton of them.. !!! still have around 20 bags to mow down when weather gets better...
they sure will make super compost next spring.. im sure the worms out there are singing joy..joy..joy too..
lol

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #8263471

QUESTION:
I have an empty flowerbed on the front lawn. I'd like to plant flowers in it in the springtime. The bed originally had azaleas growing, but they got sick and were dying so I had them dug up.

I'll need to bring in some planting soil to build the bed up some, since it's level with the ground. Would tossing in all the leaves I can collect and shred during this winter season help that bed by next March/April?

Thanks!

Linda
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #8263529

Oh Yes, Linda, I would dig an inch of soil off the top and just spread the leaves over the bed as thick as you can (up to 4" ) and spread the soil back over the leaves. Next spring most of the leaves will be composted, then if you like turn the soil over and plant what you like.
I would wait till next spring and see if you need more soil.
I have converted a garbage can in to a leaf shredder to use with my weed-eater, may be able to post a pic. soon.
Good Luck. Dwight
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #8263552

This is what I came up with for a Garbage Can Leaf Shredder .
Just cut a slot in the lid. I have not tried it yet as the weather has been a little COLD here, but I'm sure it will be easier than running over the leaves with the mower.

Dwight

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #8263629

Thanks, Rentman!
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #8263665

Cool DIY shredder!
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #8265775

I do the same thing as Rentman, and he's right. It is soooo much easier than mowing them. You can easily carry it around to distribute the leaves where you want, and it's not too heavy. Even with the slit (or hole in the center of my can lid), you should still wear good eye protection for the occasional fly-aways that escape.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #8266678

great idea rentman!. . i go thru so many leaves in winter for the garden and composting next yr.. so i have kids mow them
for me.. but..i like your idea..it would be very easy to distribute the leaves where you want them...
great ideas show up here from creative gardeners!!!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #8281931

My wonderful neighbor brought me a truck load of leaves this morning! He shall be rewarded with lots of ripe tomatoes, herbs, onions and garlic this summer. He and his wife are of Italian descent.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America