Photo by Melody

Article: Autumn Fun: Visit a Pumpkin Patch!: Great fun

Communities > Forums > Article: Autumn Fun: Visit a Pumpkin Patch!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Autumn Fun: Visit a Pumpkin Patch!Replies: 3, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
3pmp
Slocan, BC
(Zone 3a)

October 26, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #8177027

Hi Melody, I am an avid gardener who likes to have pumpkin for pies from my garden. The deer are the culprits that eat my pumpkin before they have a chance to ripen enough to pick. At our local fair the largest pumpkin weighed in at 90 lbs. This year my total weight for all of the pumpkins that I grew was about 60 lbs.

Alan(3pmp)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8177035

Hi Alan!

Pumpkin pies are wonderful, especially the ones you grow yourself. Deer can sure do a number on your garden can't they?
Good luck with your pumpkin patch..it sounds like you're on the right track!
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

September 17, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9277685

I just had a buck neatly prune all my pumpkin, tomato and pepper plants. The pumpkins were volunteers from my compost pile, and I won't get any fruit at all this year.
I store a few pumpkins in the basement every year until I have room in the freezer for more of the cooked flesh -- it is a favorite vegetable in my house, not just for pies, I use it in chili, soups and as a side dish.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9277744

Yes, pumpkin is highly underused. It goes well with most any foods and lends a depth of flavor to recipes!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Autumn Fun: Visit a Pumpkin Patch! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Eastern Kentucky too! Liquidambar2 4 Oct 25, 2010 12:52 PM
Nice article, great pictures! Horseshoe 1 Oct 25, 2010 1:04 PM
Pumpkins g_whizz 1 Sep 15, 2012 5:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America