How is your autumn foliage this year?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 135 votes:

The trees in my area are just starting to turn.
(36 votes, 26%)
Red dot

Trees in my area are at their peak. (show us!)
(27 votes, 20%)
Red dot

We have very little change in the landscape where I live.
(17 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Trees are past their peak in my neighborhood.
(42 votes, 31%)
Red dot

I'm south of the Equator and it is spring. (we'd love to see!)
(4 votes, 2%)
Red dot

I live in an area where there are no autumn colors.
(9 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Wow! Hard to pass up the opportunity to be 1st. It's 83F here right now, so the trees have no idea it's supposed to be autumn. They are all still quite green. Temps will eventually drop (closer to Christmas) and the trees will eventually turn...mostly brown although a few types will have some nice orange and yellow colors.

(Zone 7a)

The trees are at their peak now but my Frangrant Sumac is a little behind.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh. I just realized that by "at their peak" you meant peak fall color. In that case, once again I think you need to add another category as there appears to be no category for my area.

Trees here have not begun to turn yet, so that's not a fit, and they are definitely not at peak autumn color. Still, they will eventually turn, so I can't choose the option that indicates trees here don't change, and I'm not in the southern hemisphere. For most of these polls you seem to omit areas such as mine where it's still basically summer but where it will eventually be fall/winter.

As I mentioned above, right now it's still in the mid 80's here, so there is no frost and no sign of fall yet. We do have season though, and eventually it will get cold here, although not as cold as some regions. We will eventually have frost, and the trees will eventually turn yellow, orange, and brown, mostly brown. That will probably be closer to Christmas or even after New Years though.

I hope in the future you will consider adding another category to your polls to account for hot, southern areas such as mine. We have all the same season as other areas, but we are definitely out of sync with the rest of the country as to when those seasons start and end, and some of our seasons last much longer while others are very brief.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Although we've cooled down, our trees don't really start turning until mid-late November.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

stephanietx,

That's the same as my area. So what did you choose as your answer to the poll?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I chose that we'd not had much change.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

stephanietx,

Thanks for the info. I thought that one meant that the trees in your area don't change much - ever. I'm so confused. Thanks.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The 'very little change' would be for those who are still experiencing summer, as we have a category for no autumn color. (might not be the best wording, my apologies)

We're right at peak, but with the drought we've had all summer, the show will be over soon.
Here's sassafras and sumac last week.

Thumbnail by melody
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

melody,

Thank you. I wasn't trying to be difficult, although it probably sounds that way. I really was confused - my normal state, I think. Sometimes I over think things.

After stephanietx answered, I went back and reread all the categories at which point I did see that the last one covers 'no change ever'. I think it was the verb tense on the 3rd one that threw me, but, again, I'm sometimes inclined to over think things and confuse myself. Thanks to you and stephanie for straightening me out.

(Zone 1)

Oh how I Love the colors of Autumn, but we hardly ever get the pretty colors this far south. I've been in Florida for 43 years, and only once have we had a colorful autumn when the Hickory and Maple trees were beautiful shades of gold and red. This is the time of year I wish I could take a vacation a bit farther north to see all the glorious shades!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Due to drought, most of ours just turned brown this year. Normally, they're quite colorful. :(

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

the leaves changing colors are one of the things i miss about NY. here leaves just fall off without doing much of anything except maybe turn yellow. I really miss the reds, the oranges the yellows!

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Aspens in the Sierras

Thumbnail by TPNursery
South Lake Tahoe, CA

A display of leaves

Thumbnail by TPNursery
South Lake Tahoe, CA

the O.K. corral

Thumbnail by TPNursery
(Zone 1)

TPNursery: Oh my goodness, what stunning color! Thanks for sharing those photo's, makes me wish I were there enjoying the beauty in person!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Just took a drive over the North Cascade Highway - gorgeous. West side = red and gold against forest green conifers. East side = golden yellows against stark white aspen trunks. A sprinkling of snow at the top.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

January of this year was the first time I've seen anything that resembles fall foliage during the 20 years I've lived here in Ft Lauderdale. In early January we had several frosts during the coldest spell of weather since 1977. This photo was taken Jan 16th showing the change of colors on some of the trees. The frosts and freezes were not a great thing, but the reds, oranges and yellows that quickly appeared were a pleasant surprise.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

How nice!

We take the color for granted further north. This year isn't as good for us because of the drought, but the sumac was stunning...

Thumbnail by melody
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My Chinese Pistache tree is just beginning to take on an orange tinge. The cypress trees are turning rusty-colored now too. It's still so warm here in DFW...eighties every day.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

bonehead, I used to love to ride the North Cascade Hwy on my motorcycle! Still miss that area of Washington.

Doug

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Just getting started here

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

This was Sunday the 24 th. 90% of that beauty is now on the ground following a days rain with blustery wind.

oops...........missed the image. Here it is.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Here the leaves are just passing their peak. One more good rain & frost should do them in....

From last week.

Thumbnail by music2keep

From West Va. comes a dandy peeks through to the modest Eastern peaks beyond. Nice!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It was such a weird year that we have just pops of colors with some trees still totally green yet other with all their leaves gone already, so I didn't even pick a category.

Here's a shot from hubby's truck taken while out for a Sunday drive.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

-sorry for the double post
This message was edited Oct 28, 2010 11:31 AM

This message was edited Oct 28, 2010 11:32 AM

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

after the wind the last 3 days hardly any leaves left on the trees!

South Hamilton, MA

We are past peak here, although our tulip popular is still a beautiful gold. I don't think that reds (except for burning bush) were as bright as usual. Probably the effect of a very dry summer.

Here is a brilliant yellow image from our city park taken a week ago. It is about finished dropping it's leaves now...one week later.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Stewart, TN

Not the best fall color this year, because of a bit of a drought (zone 6), but there's always something pretty, like a driveway covered with leaves.

Thumbnail by Rebeccatowoc
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

How pretty!
We've had a drought as well and we had a lack of red and maroon, but the golds were quite nice. The storm Wednesday pretty much stripped the trees for the year though.

Stewart, TN

Hi, Melody - and the dogwoods instead of being red were kind of a glowy peach. Wonderful sumac in your picture!

Docgipe - that's a gorgeous picture but I couldn't quite make out the tree. Gingko or maple?

TPnursery, I'm eating my heart out!

Hello to TexasTam in Plano - I used to visit relatives there every year when there was only calfer corn and maize surrounding you!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi Rebecca, I'm at the north end of KY Lake.

We had odd red shades this year. Sumac was really red as usual, and the dogwoods almost turned red, and then the leaves all fell off. The drought sure made an impact.

Thumbnail by melody
Stewart, TN

We're towards the south end, at White Oak Creek embayment.

Yes, the drought did damage and I fear we'll lose some trees this winter. But I'm so glad we've had one good rain to lessen the fire risk. Do you get a good rain?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

about 3/4"...hopefully it will prevent some fires (I've got a brush burn pile I need to do something with, but we're still under a burn ban.)

I'm just a touch north of Murray near Jonathan Creek.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I can live vicariously through all your beautiful fall pictures! Alas, I live in the desert and we have pretty much 2 seasons - hot and not quite as hot;o) There are some trees here that will give a little fall color show but they are few and far between.

Stewart, TN

locakelly - I hate that for you! Could you plant a little sumac somewhere just for the guaranteed color?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images