Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Have You Made Anything From Twigs?

Southern California, CA

Here is a little pot trellis I made with a glue gun and a few weeping birch twigs. It's wonky-but I like it. I'm growing a sweet potato in the pot. Rooted the SP in water and then planted it. Growing nicely as a little vine. My friend has the weeping birch tree and I took some of her prunings. Carefully placed them in the car and drove home so pleased-and put them in my side yard. My DH cut them all into 6 inch lengths b/c he thought they were meant for the garbage collection. Ugh. I glued the twigs together as best I could. Funny thing was some of them began to root. lol. But I never got a birch tree-I forgot to water and the new tree growth died. Anyway-do you have a picture of anything you've made from twigs? I'd love to see it or just describe your project if you can't get a photo.

Thumbnail by J2222
Richardson, TX

I made candle stick holders from branches cut from my live oak and another lighter wood tree.

Thumbnail by silverlinings
Richardson, TX

and another group........

Thumbnail by silverlinings
Southern California, CA

Silver: So nice. My DD has some large prunings, I have to show her what can be done. Thanks.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

over the years Ive made floor and table lamps lamps from white birch limbs along with trellises for my yard and ,a bent twig chair out of willow and ceder.. Ive used all kinds for basket making, weaving and handles on the baskets, low fencing to keep the loose dogs out of my flowers, curtian rods,and door handles .. if it has a cool shape or good color I like to use them. I made a 8ft high by 20 ft long trellis here in my front yard to divide it from the side yard for some privacy.. Ive used some limbs from a ceder tree for the limbs of my bottle tree ...if its about 2 t 3 inchs wide I usually keep it for projects.. Ill use them sooner or later!

Southern California, CA

blk: any photos? Your things sound nice.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2010 3:47 PM

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

no pics right now..a lot of them are on my old puter which has a nasty virus and Im not sure how to get them here with out bringing it too,, sorry..

Southern California, CA

Blk: Maybe some other time.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

if I do anything in the future Ill make sure to post them for ya!

Tomah, WI

A girlfriend of mine does a rustic, handmade Christmas. She used small sticks, laid them in an old fashioned star shape, put a small dab of hot glue at each intersection just to hold them. Came back when dry & tied jute twine around each intersection & finished with a small homespun bow & loop for hanging. They are VERY popular up here in the north woods & cute too.

This image is from the web & is not mine, but it may clarify my explanation.

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Plano, TX

i like all the ideas--and now i wish i had saved some of the branches from all the trees we had cut down this summer--and i know those projects are harder than they look--the candle holders would be hard for me to get level-could they be plant holders too? or would that be too top heavy?
the trellis would make a plant gift so much more unique!
and the twig star would look so neat on a gift basket-
makes me want to go twig hunting!

Southern California, CA

Love this star. I'll have to go twig hunting, too!

Plano, TX

ok--now that i have picked up some twigs and see that i have plenty more i am looking forward to more twig ideas
by the way-i googled twig heart and found a pretty one but couldn't copy it for some reason--it uses fresh bendable twigs

Tomah, WI

The hearts & other shapes work well with grapevines.

Southern California, CA

One of my friends has bamboo growing sort of out of control in her yard. Maybe I can get it under control for her.....

Plano, TX

what a neighbor you are!
it will be interesting to see how bamboo would work!
i have made about 6 twig stars already!!

Lorena, TX

just dropped my 15 yr. old and friends off at downtown park for BD party.....noticed a 10ft. limb broken off....big around as their legs. asked them to run over and bring me some twigs. looked over and they were carrying whole thing to car...P.T. cruiser. almost peed my pants laughing....
then i explained twigs and got my own! now can't wait to make stars.....nother thot...grapevine is 15.00 for small thing at hobby lobby. bought large wreath at goodwill for 2.00. soaked it in bathtub for awhile and was just like fresh.

Plano, TX

my stars turned out great and so easy-rustic is a very forgiving look! no desire for perfection in rustic
very funny about the 10 ft "twig"

Lorena, TX

pictures....pleeez!! then i'll know where i go wrong!!!

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

The birch twigs look really nice but I cannot think of where I would get some twigs like that. I have seen on TV that you can make many things with twigs - furniture, arbors, fences - and for inside too. As the candle holders etc. If I ever dig up a resource for them I will post what ever I do with them! Meanwhile everyone’s twig art is beautiful.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Kanu, what are you having trouble with? The star? Cut the twig pieces in equal lengths. HOT glue the intersections in place. When it's dry/ cool, go back and tie each intersection with twine. It's nearly impossible without first hot gluing.

Lorena, TX

thank you!!! got 3 made...good thing my fingers are tough...hot glued to twigs more then once!
had some leather string so did that. then wrapped the points coupla times with jute. gotta go get more twigs....my house is cowboy...horns and hides and Texas...so think bigger ones will make good wall deco. again...thank you!

Southern California, CA

Kanu: the large ones will be fabulous. Some have ice water near them when they glue gun things. I want to make a stars big and small, too.

Lorena, TX

the ice water works great...unless you're stuck to what you're gluing!!! LOL....gotta figure out a way to hold stuff without using fingers. and i didn't use birch cuz none around here....the twigs are pecan but worked fine so i guess most any wood would work. love bamboo but don't know of any round here....bet yours turn out awesome....pics, pleeez???

I used to store my glue gun with a metal cheap pie plate, so it could drip and not worry about clean up. ALSO... I generally try to "push" or hold with a popicle stick. I'm not so fond of getting burned!!! Are you using red bandana fabric for your bow? I made a cool applique Santa wall hanging once for a "Western" friend. I gave him a cowboy hat, red bandana fabric,cowboy boots and lariat. I really liked the end result, sorry no pic!

Lorena, TX

would love to have seen that.....we should all take pics, me included! but don't think bout it til too late. haven't put on bows yet...wonder if they make bandana ribbon?? nother run to hobby lobby!

Just TEAR the bandana fabric, it is more keeping to Western/ Texas theme generally. IF you need the bow big enough just use an actual bandana.

Tomah, WI

I found this & thought they were really neat. Very rustic! See what you think.

http://www.eco-artware.com/crafts/crafts_10_00.php

Southern California, CA

Mattsmom: Thanks for pointing this out. Good instructions. I have always liked twig words but have never done any-now I have no excuse.

Lorena, TX

well...back to the trees!! thank you mattsmom....ordered the book. can't wait to lay in a supply of twigs...good projects for winter.

Tomah, WI

Hier is a pix of a cute twig ornament (not my pix)

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Tomah, WI

Twig frame (again, not my pix)

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Tomah, WI

Twig doll chair (wouldn't these be darling plant stands!)

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Southern California, CA

mattsmom: Thanks for the photos! I love this twiggy rustic look.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Me too! I bookmarked this so that I will have ideas when the time comes that I have my tools and twigs available.

Plano, TX

this has been such a fun thread! i am so excited about each thing i see--my twig stars are turning out great and i just might try a twig ornament house sometime soon--that rustic look and strategically placed decorations seem to make anything possible!

Tomah, WI

I know this isn't made from twigs, but I thought it would look great with the rustic twig ornaments. Or, you could probably redesign it using twigs.

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Tomah, WI

Again, not exactly twigs, but a great idea. Notice the grapevine wrap on some. They would be neat with old rusty barbed wire as a substitution.

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Tomah, WI

Speaking of barbed wire, how cute is this guy!

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Tomah, WI

Back to twigs, check out this awesome church! Wouldn't it be wonderful with little lights inside for Christmas?

Thumbnail by mattsmom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.