Photo by Melody

African Violets and Gesneriads: I am heartsick!

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 6, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #8178943

Can anyone offer an explanation of what might have happened to this plant. One day it was growing beautifully, the next it was limp, so I thought it could benefit from a change to a lighter mix. The next day it literally looked as if it had been scalded with hot water!

The only change I had made earlier was to lower the height under the light a couple inches. I only watered as needed; but I did notice the moisture suddenly started to hold longer, that's why I changed mix.

This was my club project plant! The healthy plant beside it is my wife's project plant. She grows under natural light, I use artificial. What makes this especially painful is the fact that I am suppose to know what I am doing, and act as advisor in our club--yet so far mine is the only plant to bit the dust. I have no idea why!
Lane

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #8179049

I'm so sorry! Sometimes plants die for no apparent reason, but this one looks like it collapsed d/t some sort of toxin or stressor. What is your water source? How do the roots look? When you repotted, was there a sufficient sized root system of white roots, or a small amount of dark, thin roots? Is there time to start a new project--maybe with a mini?
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #8179444

Lane,
It is almost certainly root rot or crown rot,probably both.When a plant stops using it's normal amount of water,it's usually an indication that it doesn't have enough good roots to suck up the moisture.Being chilled when wet can also cause this.

Maybe this would be a topic for your club to explore.

Lynn
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8179902

BTW,just where have you been Miss Phoebe?? ^_^

Lane,
Another thing that might help you understand what happened is that possibly your wife's plant had a more developed root system to start with.Also,if either plant is a mini or semi-mini you might have to start with a tiny pot.Some of my minis are in little tiny Ketchup cups.I mention this only because her plant looks great,but the pot looks slightly large.
I don't think lighting was a factor.
There are many people here who know more than I do,but I hope this helps.

Lynn
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #8180121

Shhhh...lurking

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8180412

AH,Hah!!
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #8180860

Hi;
It almost looks like your plant did not have a root system.I say that because i take top cuttings quite often & thats what they look like when there is no root system.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America