Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cannas: Be careful what you wish for

Communities > Forums > Cannas
bookmark
Forum: CannasReplies: 2, Views: 203
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nymegen
Auburn, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #8179222

This is a story about Cannas and their roots;about 3 years ago I fell in love with these beauties and collected about 15 different varieties.Most of them were potted up in early April, (last year)good potting soil,slow release fertilizer and some gel crystals were added. And they grew wonderfully.Fall came,time to bring them into my winterstorage and watered minimally during that winter. Spring came and outside they went.Some more fertilzer and it was a wonderful hot summer.Since I wanted to divided them, I decided this was the time to do it. Some came out of their pots easily but then there were some that had grown so much,that I was afraid they were going to break the pots they were growing in.Of course these were the nicest and most expensive pots I had bought.I finally had to get a serated knife and after some major hacking into the roots systems,on the sides of the pots,was able to get them out and then divide.I don't consider myself at all as a lazy gardener but figured I had such good soil in these containers that they could stay as is for another year without repotting.Lesson learned .Do not do it without risking your pots being absolutely rootbound and your good kitchen knife being unusable

Thumbnail by nymegen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

October 27, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #8179804

I've lost many a kitchen knife that way...
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8180415

I find it funny how a kitchen knife seem to help us through our gardening troubles..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cannas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Canna You Help? scooterbug 5 Sep 2, 2008 5:48 PM
Tropicanna Canna is sick Kell 49 May 2, 2012 9:10 PM
Resources thread - your feedback, please Terry 9 Jun 1, 2013 10:58 AM
the way i do my canna seeds phicks 14 May 22, 2007 11:09 PM
The ugly cannas bwilliams 60 Nov 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America